Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#40169 - 07/03/00 01:51 AM teaching and living illegally
brianvc Offline

Loc: texas, usa
Hi,

I would just like to add like others that it is SOOO very possible to work illegally in spain teaching English. I did my TEFL certificate (CELTA) in barcelona. I went to russia to work, but i did spend some time doing a summer school in southern catalunya. God, i love spain. but the teaching market gets a little saturated in spain, with all the brits and all.

I too am planning to go back to spain. but i want to go to live. in guipuzcoa i hope since i have spent a lot of time working on my basque.

but my question is, if someone stays and works illegally in spain, what happens when they leave for vacation. i mean, if i lived there and wanted to go to america to visit family, would i be allowed back in if they saw the dates on my passport?
anyone have any idea on this?

i guess, most likely, they would never look that hard.

brian

#40170 - 07/05/00 12:15 PM Re: teaching and living illegally
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
Well my Flamenco Teacher lived in Sevilla for 10 years and what she did was she left the country every 6 months. She would go to portugal and they would stamp her passport that she left. You need to leave every 6 months. I'm not sure they look for dates though when you go back to the U.S. they ahve never looked at mine for that reason.

------------------
San Lorenzo del El Escorial Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#40171 - 07/05/00 01:55 PM Re: teaching and living illegally
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi Brianvc,
Be very carefull if you are going to take the advice of missmadrid. They are controlling much harder the illegal inmigrants. And I think you cannot be there for more than three months. The best you can do is try to get a visa.
Good luck

#40172 - 07/05/00 07:44 PM Re: teaching and living illegally
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
i wasn't suggesting to brianvc that he do that, just asnwering his question if they look at your passport dates. They have come down harder on immigration especially those from morroco. i'm not giving advice for brianvc to do that, I am not planning on doing that myself when i move there, trying to do it the legal is of course always the best.

------------------
San Lorenzo del El Escorial Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#40173 - 07/12/00 04:49 PM Re: teaching and living illegally
kevinfc Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I just finished reading this interesting thread on teaching English. As I taught for about four years - 3 of which were in Madrid (1977-1980) - I thought I would put down some random thoughts on the teaching profession and expat life in general.
From reading the replies not too much has changed.

Yes, teaching English in most situations is technically illegal. But is usually highly tolerated - particularly if you're a western expatriate. If your conscience bothers you a bit, you may wish to note that you are teaching history's choice - for better of worse - for the medium of communication. People everywhere wish to communicate and need a language that most other people can understand.

I started at one of Madrid's numerous "fly-by-night" schools. They pay an adequate subsistence wage which more than covered life in a pension and my evening drinking sessions with the expat journalists at the Cervecia Alemania. Ah! The Plaza San Tana! I was a fun time. Most of the teachers were young twenty-something's like myself. Each one had a different story on why they were teaching in Madrid.

Most of these schools used to shut down for the summer so they basically laid off everybody and said come back in September. As there was little professional loyalty, many teachers would expand their professional relationship with the school's students - which meant "stealing" the students and teaching directly at their homes. Teachers got paid more, students paid less and the school had been cut out.

So by my second year, I had all private students. By my third, I had small groups that I taught in my apartment (you can only take a Pension for so long!) and I also had clients like Arthur Anderson where I developed language programs on-site. I hired additional teachers to carry this out.

Although my business was starting to take off, its upside was limited as it still wasn't legal. It was good in that I paid no taxes. The bad news was it was really hard to seriously expand the business without proper documentation.

As to teaching qualifications, it's a definite plus to have a college degree in most anything. Mine was actually in English, but I don't think that's much of a plus. If I were to go teach abroad today, I would definitely get a TEFL certificate, particularly given the short time requirements and relative cost. I recently came across a magazine "Transitions Abroad" which had tons of info certification, programs and job adverts. They also cover other international professions and programs.

Their URL is: http://www.transitionsabroad.com

What's teaching English like? Read Christopher Isherwood's excellent account in "The Berlin Stories" about teaching to the Germans during the rise of the Nazis. He has a couple of pages where he describes his first lesson. Great reading that really mirrored my experience. The book was the basis for the movie "Cabaret".

I would close by noting that teaching English can lead to harder stuff! As I mentioned above, most folks doing this are relatively young - and as such it an entry level job. While many American, Brits, or Ozies typically do this for a year or two, some stayed on. And like most things, as you live and work in place, opportunities do come up. I spoke no Spanish when I arrived and was fairly fluent after three years. Looking back, I noticed how my friends were mostly Anglophones at first and how progressively more and more of my friends were Latin Americans and Spaniards.

My dream back then was to crack the journalistic wall - I tried to land a job with Time Magazine but ended up leaving to established a English training program for a petroleum service company in Indonesia. I spent my thirties in Southeast Asia. If you want to hear that story go to http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1566910625/qid=963434145/sr=1-3/002-5427661-1247268 and read the review "A Backpacker Turned Executive"

Sorry for the long post. I hope this helps someone out there contemplating an overseas teaching job.

#40174 - 07/19/00 08:00 PM Re: teaching and living illegally
Loretta Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Don't worry, just go! In 1995 a new type of tourist Visa was introduced called the "Schengen Visa". Americans, Canadians and many others can travel freely for 3 months to several European countries. There are alot of messages from people who are still stateside so the best thing to do is find out for yourself. The worst that could happen is they send you back. (very unlikely)

The last time I went to Madrid in '99 the immigration people overlooked me and did not stamp my passport, so there was not entrance date or stamp. When I embarked to leave the other immigration officer was smiling in disbelief that I somehow got past the desk, as he saw that there was no arrival stamp. I guess I could have stayed as long as I wanted to. I don't even remember how it happened, I just followed everyone else. I guess they were understaffed the day of my arrival. The point is that they are not going to hunt you down from my experience and those of my acquaintances.

I know 2 people who stayed a year and said that as long as you are a good citizen, like almost all Spaniards are, you won't have any trouble. Try the Spanish consulate's site in Washington D.C. or Toronto (if canadian). It explains all the rules for tourist visas for work or non-work. Just do a "Spanish consulate search." Remember that it takes from 4-6 months after a Visa application to get an approval. Have fun, your young! Loretta

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments