Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#39986 - 11/01/08 05:52 AM Puerta del Sol, Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I'm sure it's not my imagination but I have been shocked at the increase in Gypsies around Sol and especially a the bottom end of Calle Montera .. whole families . It might be nothing but I would warn visitors just to be on their guard . I , and many others , have had wallets and bags stolen in that area and I count myself as pretty street wise ( working in London for many years ) . I didn't even know the wallet had gone until I got back home .
Take care crossing the road if you find gypsies on either side of you ... They are clever .. Even worse in Moscow where I've been often .
Also , outside the gates of Retiro Park ( especially near Puerta de Alcala ) ... Young girls will approach you pretending to be mute ( not able to speak ) .. They are very gypsy by their look . They try to ask you to sign a petition / sponsorship form and give them money . It's illegal AND most of them can speak of course !!
This all sounds very anti-gypsy but my mother's family ( and , by association , me ! ) are descended from East European gypsies that settled in England . And I'm very very proud of that heritage .
A lot of Gypsies here in Spain live in appaling conditions . The area of Madrid called Canada Real ( an enye in Canada - I don't have accents ) is the biggest slum in western Europe . Las Chabolas ( shanty town ) are infested with rats , constantly flooded during rain , and the children are often dirty and subject to disease . It's a really shocking place to see . Indeed , the police sometimes will not even go there if called .
All major cities of course have crime .. Madrid is no different . Just be aware .
Oh , and you'll see lot's of young , guys ( mainly East European ) sitting around in Sol .. They're what we in England call Rent Boys ( Hustlers ) .. Chaperos in Spanish . I have nothing against them at all .. It's just work . The same as the prositutes in Calle Montera . I've been approached a few times by both chaperos and prostitutes . Normally , a polite "no" is all that's needed ( Unless you WANT their services of course hahaha ! ) .
Steve

#39987 - 11/02/08 03:51 PM Re: Puerta del Sol, Madrid
Silver Traveler Offline

Loc: LaGrange (Near Atlanta) Georgi...
While in the Sabatni Park next to the Royal Place, we were approached by the girls with petitions. Sent them on their way.

In the subway, I felt a strange hand in my trouser pocket. She was part of a gang of several, the rest of whom blocked the exit door on the subway. Luckilly I grabbed the hand and pusher her away and bounded out the door. My friend with whom I was traveling followed closely. That was the only incident of that nature. We both commented on the lack of a visible police presence anywhere in the city, but never felt uncomfortable. I look forward to returning in the early spring!

#39988 - 11/03/08 12:02 PM Re: Puerta del Sol, Madrid
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
Last year I was approached by the "petition" girl on Gran Via. She caught me in a moment of weakness. Normally I ignore anyone who approaches me on the street but after a nice snack and wine at Canas y Tapas, she "hit me up" for a donation. I was in a good mood and wanted to be on my way, so I started to give her 1 euro. Just about that time, my wife noticed a man go for my back pocket. She screamed for me to pay attention to my wallet, while I stayed calm, as I NEVER carry money or my wallet etc back there.

The moment passed (me wife was frantic) and I tried to end my transaction/donation of one euro asap. She of course wanted more. She wanted at least 20! That's when I had had enough. Told her to get lost and I was on my way.

This scam works by directing your attention to the clip-board/petition. They get right in your face, smile and charm you. All the while you quickly become unaware of your surroundings. In that moment, the team moves in you remove you of your goods. Lucky for me I keep my pockets empty. I very easily could have been a victim to the crime. I felt like a real dummy. This wasn't my first time out.

The simple advice I'd give anyone is to stay clear of people who approach you on the street. YOU are a tourist. You don't know anything. If asked for directions, once again, YOU are the visitor, keep moving and be on your way. Enjoy you're holiday let everyone else take care of themselves.

#39989 - 11/03/08 03:57 PM Re: Puerta del Sol, Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I walked through the Puerta del Sol a couple time and didn't notice any petitioning girls, gypsies hawking things, or anything of the sort. Guess it was a scammer's holiday. hehehe... wink

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39990 - 11/06/08 08:16 PM Re: Puerta del Sol, Madrid
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
Hi Everybody,
I visited Madrid from October 24 to November 4th.
I usually visit Madrid 3 times a year.

Almost everyday when I was in the Gran Via area near the Banco de Espana and the Spain military headquarters I observed young woman with clipboards soliciting people to sign a petition. They then want the person to give them a donation. When a persons stops to sign the petition, several of these woman surround the person and watch. They then want and demand the person to give them a donation.

I also saw women gypsies in the same area set-up a tourist. They have a map and stop a person usually a tourist and then ask him/her for directions. Then several gypsies surround the person looking to pick his rear pocket for the wallet or attempt to open a women's pocketbook. I saw them with a map stop a elderly Asian male for directions.
Two of them were about to pick his rear pocket when I yell to him to watch out. I don't know if he understood me but the gypsies immediately left and walked fast up the Gran Via. My daughter who lives in Madrid told me that this is a big problem especially for unsuspecting tourists. I spend my career in law enforcement and security in New York City so it may have been easier for me to pick these criminals out.

The best advise is to BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS AND WATCH YOUR HANDBAGS, WALLETS AND PROPERTY INCLUDING SUITCASES, LAPTOPS.

Jim Costello
New York City

#39991 - 11/07/08 04:07 AM Re: Puerta del Sol, Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I have no doubt there are illegal petitioners in Madrid and Spain. But there are authentic petitioners as well.

The authentic ones are usually 2 or 3 working a given area and usually wearing like T-Shirts advertising their cause and nearly always carrying pamphlets at-the-ready to give you.

I even stop sometimes when one of the cute ones gives me a nice smile (something they're surely trained to do), I'll stop and listen to the 5 minute speech about the starving children in Africa. What these people want is for you to give them your bank account information (which I'd never do even if the WERE authentic) so that you can pay X-amount every month. When I offer to give them cash they deny it, saying they're not allowed to take cash. So this tells me they're authentic. What thief/scammer would turn down cold, hard cash?

But yes, by all means, BE VERY CAREFUL with your things when people attempt to stop you in the street. This is why, in part, people never stop and just shake their head "no" when someone steps up to them and asks a question in the street. On the other hand, I often see (presumably) Madrileño/as stopping to answer a question by another Spanish tourist, giving them directions.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments