MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#39958 - 12/30/07 09:40 AM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Where are the crime stats that you are all referring to that show an increase in robbery? I read an article last week that showed that several types of violent crimes declined in Madrid this year, though it didn't include stats for theft and robbery.

#39959 - 12/30/07 11:49 AM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
madrid3X,

That's the problem with statistics. When tallying oranges, you can rely on last years apple count. An old, old saying here, that is, I heard it a lot when I was still young, "figures don't lie, but liars will figure".

We're not discussing physically violent crimes. Although it seems all crimes imply violence in the form of intimidation, fraud, etc. We're talking about the types of crime a tourist might encounter in Spain.

Bottom line, the quantity or quality of crime in Spain are moot. It's the tolerance of any form or crime that's despicable.

#39960 - 12/30/07 02:25 PM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Quote:
Filbert

I was sad to see that you are pointing to Roumanians and Latin Americans as the possible thieves in Bigfran's unfortunate situation.
If you read my post, instead of straight away projecting what you think I said... I specifically made the point that it's often (although not always) those at the margins who resort to crime like this. Again I also stressed it used to be Spanish natives (sometimes from the Gypsy community, sometimes drug-addicts) who did the stealing. Now a lot of those at the margins are from EE or LAm descent, and guess what, a small proportion of them end up in criminal gangs. Which is a big shame; for them, (especially) for the victims, and for the reputation of the community they come from.

#39961 - 12/30/07 03:42 PM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Quote:
Bottom line, the quantity or quality of crime in Spain are moot. It's the tolerance of any form or crime that's despicable.
Not really. You stated that you feel that crime in Spain has gotten worse because of immigration. You don't seem to live here, so I have to wonder just what verifiable facts you are basing the assumption that 1. petty thefts and robberies have increased in Madrid and 2. immigrants are disproportionately responsible for this. When I lived here 15 years ago, pickpocketing was a huge problem, especially at Christmastime. I'm not convinced that it is worse now than it was then.

#39962 - 12/30/07 07:18 PM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
I enjoy watching this debate unfold. It seems many people have had experience with petty (and other forms) of crime. Consistent with advice above, I have always maintained a certain vigilance and perhaps this is what has preserved and protected me from such incidents. That level of awareness has never hindered my enjoyment of any voyage. In fact, it has enhanced it as otherwise missed details come to the fore.
"A good lookout keeps you off the rocks," a great captain once said. It doesn't imply that he's looking for the rocks, it implies that he's looking for the safe passage through which to steer. Find it, recognize it, and follow it to your next harbor.

#39963 - 12/31/07 07:50 AM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
By absolute chance I happened upon today\'s Madridiario.es article about crime in Madrid for 2007 from January to November. It stated that 62% of those DETAINED (not arrested or finally charged) were foreigners.

Quote:
El 62% de los detenidos por la Policía Municipal hasta noviembre era extranjero

La Policía Municipal de Madrid detuvo a 11.188 personas entre enero y noviembre de 2007, de los que casi el 62 por ciento (6.935) fueron extranjeros. El distrito Centro fue en el que los agentes tuvieron que aplicarse con mayor intensidad, ya que detuvieron a 1.831 personas. Le siguieron Puente de Vallecas con 1.085 detenidos y 706 en Carabanchel. more...

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39964 - 12/31/07 10:37 AM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Pickpocking is the second oldest profession. Just look at this painting, The Fortune Teller

Bill

#39965 - 12/31/07 11:28 AM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
fulano Offline

Loc: califas
Statistic's can be deceiving MM,especially crime statistic's. What were the extranjero's arrested or interviewed about? I know in the USA many people use arrest or prison statistics to prove immigrant's are responsible for crime but when the statistic for imprisonment for illegal immigration is subtracted the crime rate is about 4% for all other crimes.

#39966 - 01/05/08 05:29 AM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Train stations anywhere in the world can be dangerous places for travelers: In NYC's Penn Station my wife made a call from a pay phone using an AT&T Credit Card. Somehow, someone got the CC numbers and, by the time AT&T called me there had been several thousand dollars in calls to places like India and China charged against my account.
So one must be very careful, never letting one's luggage out of sight, not even for a few seconds and not to be distracted from that mission by anything. rolleyes

#39967 - 01/07/08 03:08 PM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Common sense and a bit of luck goes along ways. Had friends lose 600 euros on the Paris metro. Why they carried so much cash is beyond me.

Last year had family visiting and was waiting for the train at attocha and the wife heard rustling in my backpack and turned around and sure enough there was someone going through my pack. Main reason we even caught her was she couldn't believe I had only a newspaper and water in my backpack. It was the ONE AND ONLY time I had my wallet and my camera in my pouch pack!!!

Lucky me

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2375 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments