Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#39924 - 08/07/07 06:35 AM Street gambling in Barcelona
michelle_s Offline

I was in Barcelona in December of last year and I stood and watched some of the gambling games they play on la ramblas. I'd been told they were a con but I noticed some people having a go and I was just curious really how they work the fraud, is it just a sleight of hand or is it more complicated by that? Has anyone ever been stung by these?

#39925 - 08/09/07 10:38 AM Re: Street gambling in Barcelona
jom Offline

It is an absolute ripoff. The crowd is made up off friends that will win - and other indsiders that will encourage you.

There will also be "muscle" there to allow the money guy to escape if you get hostile about being cheated - and they will just outright cheat, you have ZERO chance of EVER winning.

Don't be stupid.

#39926 - 08/09/07 11:14 AM Re: Street gambling in Barcelona
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
There was a report on Telediario (TVEI) about this last night, saying that they sometimes use fake money.

#39927 - 08/10/07 10:30 AM Re: Street gambling in Barcelona
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
It is called Three Card Monty and most of the ones who get stung are just greedly males. The people you saw having a go at this game are usually involued in it. They are easy to spot because they are wining.

When I visited Barcelona, they even had women involved in the scam and they played off the machos of their male victims.

This might sound mean or cruel, but somehow I really do not feel sorry for their victims, because their victims are just being greedy.

Who goes on a vacation to gamble with a stranger?

Bill

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments