Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#39896 - 02/26/07 11:28 AM Re: Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
SRedw Offline

No need to go to the streets that you mentioned. I was solicited many times on Gran Vía, between the metro stops Gran Vía and Callao. When the prostitutes realized that I too was interested in men, they left me alone. Amazing!

No real prostitutes on Hortaleza or Fuencarral. I've been on those two streets walking home many times and I have only seen one or two and they are men dressed as women.

Shawn

#39897 - 03/02/07 04:29 PM Re: Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
I've been living in Madrid since August 2000 and I was never stolen or mugged. In fact, it never happened to me in Spain in my entire life. That could be probably because I'm a very tall man and I am Spanish, I don't look like a tourist.
In Gran Vía there are some prostitutes late at night, but they don't bother you.

I friend of mine from Luxembourg, was stolen last year by a pickpocket, dressed in a smart black suit carrying a brief case. It happened in the middle of the day, not in Gran Vía but in front of my friend's hotel near the Airport.
Don't worry. Just be aware of pick-pockets as in any other big city.

Enjoy your holiday here.

#39898 - 03/04/07 07:40 PM Re: Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
Vegas baby Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV USA
Quote:
No real prostitutes on Hortaleza or Fuencarral. I've been on those two streets walking home many times and I have only seen one or two and they are men dressed as women.

I will make sure to bring extra batteries for my camera! hearts

I just look crazy they don't mess with me wink

#39899 - 03/05/07 09:26 AM Re: Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
shabba53 Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia
I used to live on Calle Velarde, up past the Tribunal Metro, and my wife used to live next to the Opera stop. I used to walk up and down C/ Fuencarral and Gran Via every day to pick her up. Never had any issues whatsoever. Most of the prostitutes stick to the side streets that lead from Gran Via to the streets to the north.

Regardless, crime is relegated mainly to petty theft. Even then, they only pray on those people who aren't paying attention. For example, DON'T leave your camera or purse sitting on the chair, or on the back of your chair, or on the floor next to your chair. Just keep it in your lap, or in between your feet. You'll be fine.

#39900 - 03/18/07 12:02 PM Re: Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
el viajero Offline

Late at night, the worst thing I've had happen on Gran Vía was getting groped by a prostitute. Since I had to walk past that area almost nightly, it got tiresome, but it wasn't really dangerous. One "lady of the evening" got verbally abusive one night (and shouted anti-gay epithets) when she realized I wasn't about to stop and chat. Again, colorful but not dangerous.

Coming from Philadelphia, where our main concern is the spiraling murder rate, Madrid is a walk in the park. Just keep an eye out for pickpockets and -- a perhaps surprising caution for foreign tourists -- keep a good grip on your mobile phone when using it on the streets. Buen viaje!

#39901 - 03/19/07 02:22 PM Re: Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Where in Philadelphia are you from el viajero?

#39902 - 03/22/07 12:41 AM Re: Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You know I have even walked on the Gran Vía at 2,3,4 in the morning and by all means found it absolutely SAFE .

The only nuisance was running into the street/sidewalk cleaning crew who are out doing their thing during the wee hours.In order to go around them sometimes you have to go into the street and face the incoming traffic.Also after they spray the sidewalk it might be a bit slippery.

But you can always flag a taxi if you don't feel like walking.Taxis are quite unexpensive in Madrid.Just look for the ones that have the green light on top,meaning that they're unoccupied. smile

#39903 - 05/10/07 10:51 PM Re: Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
Uki Offline

Loc: Madrid
A few years ago (about 6) my ex boyfriend and I usually went to Gran Via at night. We didn't like pubs, but I really love Madrid. So we used to walk around Madrid all night long. We spent hundreds of nights walking up and down G.V., we chatted sitting on a bench... it was very safe.
I just remember one day that the police was chasing a car and they stopped the car, left it with the 2 doors open, and run to catch a bandit.

Don't buy pets, adopt them

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments