Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#39886 - 02/19/07 02:47 PM Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
lamaestra Offline

Loc: alabama
I have resevations at the Best Western Atlantico in Mardid in March. It is located on the Gran Via. I was just sent a email by someone who lives in Spain and they said the Gran Via was not safe at night and that I should change hotels. Any advice on this.........

#39887 - 02/19/07 02:56 PM Re: Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
David_H Offline

Loc: UK
I always stay at The Emperador on the Gran Via and have never had any trouble.It is very busy which is a good thing at night.

#39888 - 02/19/07 03:23 PM Re: Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
lamaestra Offline

Loc: alabama
Thanks David H. It's my first trip to Spain so I'm a little nervous and cautious.

#39889 - 02/19/07 03:45 PM Re: Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Gran Vía unsafe at night? I doubt there's anything further from the truth! On Gran Vía you find more foot traffic (not to mention car traffic) than nearly anywhere else in Madrid. I'd say it's probably the safest place in Madrid at night. Maybe your friend was talking about the area "above" the Gran Vía - while not unsafe, it's not AS safe as the Gran Vía itself.

I certainly wouldn't change hotels because of the email from someone who lives in Spain - and maybe not even in Madrid. Maybe (s)he read somewhere that someone once had his pocket picked after dark. One incident does not make a street, much less a busy boulevard, unsafe.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39890 - 02/19/07 04:22 PM Re: Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
sorry but i have to concur with MadridMan. I better dont go on...

#39891 - 02/19/07 07:53 PM Re: Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
Gretchen6 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
I also have to agree with the previous posts. As a student I lived near the Gran Via. As a tourist, I always stay at hotels on the Gran Via. I have stayed several times at the Hotel Tyrp Gran Via and Hotel A. Gaudi. I feel very very safe in this location and it is so close to all the places I love to visit. My friends always tease me when they come pick me up at the airport....they know for sure I am staying on the Gran Via smile

#39892 - 02/19/07 08:02 PM Re: Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
Vegas baby Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV USA
I will be staying at Hotel Gaudi, it should be AOK.

#39893 - 02/20/07 04:10 PM Re: Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Consider this another email from a person living in Madrid. The safety of Gran Vía is very subjective. While your friend might consider it unsafe, most Americans (yours truly included) will consider it safe. Does petty crime exist in the area (pickpockets, etc)? Yes. Is there violent crime? No. Simply put, keep your wits about you and your eyes on your belongings and you will be fine.

Staying away from Gran Vía is like telling tourists to stay away from Times Square in NYC.

#39894 - 02/20/07 09:09 PM Re: Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
SRedw Offline

Let me tell you the turth about Gran Vía. There are prostitutes and it may look shady, but it's fine. The prostitutes don't bother you. They may whistle at you and try and get your attention, but as long as you don't pay them any mind, they don't bother you.

Hell, a few tried to pick me up, but when I told them that we were looking for the same thing, they ran away quickly. I guess I don't fit the gay stereotype in Spain.

Shawn

#39895 - 02/26/07 07:49 AM Re: Madrid: Gran Via unsafe?
neilstrauss23 Offline

Loc: madrid
Gran Via!! The big road, Its is very busy from the night and lots of people from the Metropolis to Plaza Espana!! and its really safe... There are police roaming around Gran via at the late hours so dont worry about it!!

Saludos!

Neilstrauss

PS: Shawn.. that was a nice shorts over gran via.perhaps go to the other side which is Hortaleza and Fuencarral and you could find one! Je je smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1840 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments