Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#39749 - 07/25/05 10:32 AM Street Scams In Barcelona.
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I think this is an interesting read about the scams that take place in Barcelona. http://jones.tc/barna/scams.html

I posted this to share. I do not want anyone to think I am saying do not visit Barcelona by posting this. I have not been Barcelona but I will be visiting this coming October and I am not worry or concerned. Some of the same scans I read that take place in Barcelona, I have witness in Rome, Paris, Lisbon, New York City, Madrid, Sevilla and many other places. I will use the same precautions when I visit Barcelona as any other city.

I just think people should read this to know what the warning signs are when you are about to be scammed or your valuables are about to be stolen. Also how to protect yourself so you are not a victim. Does anyone carry a wallet anymore when they travel? I don't!

Knowledge like this can prevent a memorable trip turning into a disaster. laugh

Bill

#39750 - 07/25/05 10:43 AM Re: Street Scams In Barcelona.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I've moved your topic from the "Favorite Places" to the "Safety & Security" forum category. LOTS of information about pick pockets, purse snatchers, and other scams here.

Also be sure to visit the long threads:

" Crafty & Creative Pickpocketing Procedures " (here they list the same website link as you do above)

" Barcelona: a mugger\'s paradise (an article) " (here they also list the same website link as you do above)

" Be Prepared. "

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39751 - 10/12/05 12:36 PM Re: Street Scams In Barcelona.
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Last week, I spent a whole week in Barcelona. I take back everything I thought or said about Barcelona because I found it overall safe. laugh

That included my daily visits to the Ramblas, to get photos of the street performers. (Does anyone think it is strange to called them street performs because they are not on the street)Anyone in the crowd could pick out the photographer (me) with the expensive camera, because many times I had the street performer to pose for my photo, we would talk a little and they were willing to do it for me.

I feel the warnings about Barcelona’s street crime are exaggerated. When you visit Barcelona's Ramblas and Madrid’s Plaza Mayor were I did see some street crime take place, the rule is just use common sense and you will be ok.

While walking along the Ramblas, I did see gypsies with babies, three card Monty scams, kids with newspapers and a police. I also saw them in Plaza Mayor in Madrid except for the three card Monty. But you read fewer warnings about Plaza Mayor in tour books and on the internet. After a few days in Barcelona I stopped being paranoid about street crime and just used what I always use when I travel, common sense. I realized the only potential place of crime in Barcelona was the Ramblas and that is were the tourist visited too.

But what I did see in Barcelona, far greater than any European city I have visited is the most stupid tourists. Tourist involved in three cards Monty scams (I was not going to help them; I felt they need a lesson about life). People sitting at the over expensive over rated cafes on the Ramblas not watching their bags. (Drinking the large drinks does not help with your safety) I saw one man pulls out of his wallet a 100 euro to buy some postcards from a shop on the Ramblas. Who carries a wallet? Who pulls out a 100 euro note? My jaw dropped when I saw that. I watched a couple put down their shopping bag to watch a street performer. Their attention was not on their bags anymore. You know what I did not care anymore, if they became a victim of street crime. I am supposed to tell them to watch their bags?

I probably will receive the irate of some of those victims of street crime in Barcelona and rightfully so. But the eight days there, I feel my impression of Barcelona it is safe as any European city. laugh

Bill

#39752 - 10/12/05 03:20 PM Re: Street Scams In Barcelona.
el tio Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I just returned from my 2 weeks in Spain and feel the same way. I spent time in Madrid and Barcelona, including the subways, plaza mayor and the ramblas and never felt threatened. I arrived to Spain with a money belt that I had tucked under my shirt, but by the end of the two weeks, I just put it in my front pocket. I also felt comfortable carrying my camera bag around my shoulder.

I agree that people need to be aware, but I think it's those that are not aware, that leave things exposed that get picked, thus giving a bad perception to some parts of Spain.

#39753 - 10/17/05 07:52 PM Re: Street Scams In Barcelona.
Amada Offline

El tio, it's right when you start to feel so safe that you put your money belt in your pocket, that you get pick-pocketed!! :p
I learned that lesson the hard way in China.

What is a money felt for, after all?

#39754 - 11/23/05 10:09 PM Re: Street Scams In Barcelona.
berkeley Offline

Loc: Berkeley CA USA
Just got back from 2.5 wks in Barcelona. No troubles w/ street crime. Not only did we not experience any problems ourselves, we didn't see any evidence of anyone else having any trouble. Could have something to do w/ traveling in off-season, could have to do w/ staying in Gracia, away from the tourist centers (although we did wander around touristy areas quite a bit). I think it's true what others are saying about just using your common sense & staying aware. smile We had a great time!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments