Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#39737 - 07/19/05 06:51 AM Spain (near Madrid) is burning!
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
This is so sad to report! Three days ago a group of teenagers made a BBQ in the country northeast of the Guadalajara province. They went to have a bath in a nearby river, and they left the BBQ lit. It was hot and windy. In a few hours an area of 80 square kilometers was burning, about the size of the city of Madrid. The next day the fire was out of control, 90 feet high flames were devouring the ancient pine woodlands, the most extensive woods of central Spain in danger. And what is worse, 11 firemen were DEATH when the fire caught an entire fire engine and destroyed it. Today in Madrid I can smell the smoke. The fire is 100 miles to the northeast. Final warning: There is a record drought. It's summer, hot as always. PLEASE, be careful. Your imprudence can cause such a disaster and cost HUMAN LIVES.

#39738 - 07/19/05 03:04 PM Re: Spain (near Madrid) is burning!
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
This is so sad to hear. I live in a part of the U.S. that routinely suffers from drought and brush fires (southern California) and know the devastation this can cause. My heart goes out to the families who have lost individuals in this fire and I hope it is contained and extinguished quickly.

#39739 - 07/21/05 12:03 AM Re: Spain (near Madrid) is burning!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh no!I've just realized that our dear member Murdy was supposedly going on a camping trip on or about the same area where this huge fire is taking place.

About three weeks ago I was precisely discussing the dangers of forest fires on the thread "La sequia y el calor" under "Discusion de España".This thread had been started by Murdy himself.After posting my argument,Murdy replied that he was leaving on a camping trip to the Guadalajara region and he would not be back until several weeks.He has not posted any messages since that date (June 29),so I suppose he ended up going on the trip.

I have read about this fire on www.elmundo.es and it has been the main story in Spain since Saturday.It has taken the lives of 11 firefighters and there have been several evacuations.As of today,the blaze has not been put out.

I sincerely hope that if Murdy did in fact go on this trip,he is safe and sound at the moment.He must have one great story to tell when he gets back.

MadridMan,I know that you met with him on your recent visit to Madrid.Have you heard from him at all or do you have a way to communicate with him or his family?

#39740 - 07/21/05 05:20 AM Re: Spain (near Madrid) is burning!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
El Marques de Concha Espina wrote:
Quote:
MadridMan,I know that you met with him on your recent visit to Madrid.Have you heard from him at all or do you have a way to communicate with him or his family?
No, I have not heard from him but I'm sure he's fine. Upon hearing about the fires they likely selected another camping destination. Don't worry. I'm sure he'll come back here and tell us what he saw/knows.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39741 - 07/21/05 07:16 AM Re: Spain (near Madrid) is burning!
JasMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
Two years ago I stayed for a long weekend on that area... It was really beautiful and now it's all burnt...

MadridMan, almost 130 square kilometers have been burnt, but luckily that is not the size of the city of Madrid. Madrid even though it's really small for its population, it's more than 600 square kilometers in area.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments