Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#39669 - 05/12/05 11:05 AM driving in Spain w/ a US license? (madrid particularly)
sincopated Offline

Loc: New York
Do any Americans out there live in Madrid and drive (car or moto) regularly? I'm looking into purchasing a moto myself, but don't have a Spanish driver's license (and certainly not going to spend 800 euros to get one!). I went on to the US consulate in Spain's website and read that there currently exists no reciprocity agreement so that I could use my US driver's license here. However, I have driven here before while renting a car. So my question, basically, is what's the difference if I rent a car or buy a car? If I ensure the car I'm driving (either through a company like Hertz or on my own) should Spain care? And more importantly, DO they care? Does anyone have any experience doing this? thanx

#39670 - 05/12/05 11:16 AM Re: driving in Spain w/ a US license? (madrid particularly)
nevado Offline

To my knowledge it's not legal and you wouldn't be able to register or insure the vehicle. Now, if you drive a friend's insured vehicle, I'm not sure (still doubt it). Renting is a whole different ball game and those companies are fully insured and it's for the tourist industry so they have to allow foreigners to participate. The thing that scares me is that foreigners (from the U.S., for example) wouldn't normally know the rules of the road. In some European countries there are very specific rules on right-of-ways, roundabouts, etc. I'm sure there have been many accidents because of not knowing the laws. I suggest you do it the legal way, the last thing you want is a lawsuit in a foreign country. I know countries where the family of an injured member will receive money from you for the rest of your life if you cause an accident (and sometimes even if it's not your fault...you weren't supposed to be on the road). So, not to scare you, but make absolutely sure you're aware of the laws before you drive illegally anywhere.

#39671 - 05/13/05 09:56 PM Re: driving in Spain w/ a US license? (madrid particularly)
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Yeah Nevado, I know what you mean about countries that have retarded laws that can tie you up for the rest of your life. One that comes to mind is called the USA. More lawyers per capita than any other country in the world. Try filing a legitimate case in Southern California and it might come up for trial in about five years due to the court case load. In the movie The God Father part III Michael Corleone said it best when he said "a lawyer with a brief case can steel more money than two men with machine guns." To paraphrase the late Will Rogers, I never met a lawyer I liked. cool

#39672 - 05/14/05 09:37 AM Re: driving in Spain w/ a US license? (madrid particularly)
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Sincopated,

I live here and drive a car. I went through the process of getting a Spanish drivers' license and it certainly did not cost me 800€. You might want to get other proposals from other driving schools. I think, but am not certain, that you can take the drivers' license exam on your own, you don't need to have the backing of a driving school. You can prepare for the theoretical part of the exam at Todo Test . Which is a great, free online website that has examples of the questions asked for the "written" part of the exam.

Costs associated with getting a drivers' license here include the "psicotecnico" which is the medical exam/hand-eye coordination exam, etc that you need to have done. I think it is in the ballpark of about 25€. You also have to pay for your exam fees, both theoretical and practical. I got my license 3 years ago so do not know what the current fees are.

The legality of driving here, as contradictory as it may seem, rests on your status here. If you are a legal resident, you are allowed to drive here legally with an international drivers' license for the first 6 months of your residency. After that you must get the Spanish drivers' license. Not doing so exposes you, as Nevado suggested, to a host of legal problems. So, if you have been a resident for more than 6 months, you need to get the license now, before you start driving.

If you are here as a tourist, then you are allowed to drive here with an international drivers' license. This permission is as good for as long as your tourist visa is, up until a year which is when the international drivers' license must be renewed.

Recently, the regulation was passed that you can drive a motorcycle/moped with a regular drivers' license. You no longer need to pass a separate licensing exam for them.

Hope this info has been helpful.

P.S. If you are seriously considering driving a motorcycle, please do yourself and the other drivers a favor by becoming appropriately licensed. I have seen way too many graphic accidents involving motorcycles here. frown

Adding more comments...

With regard to insurance...Yes, Spain does care. Any driver, operating within the law, must have with them at all times their driver's license, documentation indicating the car's inspection, documentation indicating the car's registration, proof of taxes paid on the car and proof of insurance (not just an insurance card, but also proof of the most recent payment... the bank statement).

Failure to produce these documents if/when stopped by the police will result in a fine. Controls/check points are frequent, especially in and around Madrid. So, you don't have to be doing anything illegal to be stopped and asked for this documentation. Recently, my husband was parked on a street for a half hour while he made some phone calls and did some paperwork for his clients (he is in sales). He was approached by the Guardia Civil and was asked to show all of his documentation...for the mere fact that he was parked in the same place for a half an hour.

Since the terrorist attacks in Atocha and the other train stations last year the controls have slowly been getting tighter. Just an FYI.

#39673 - 05/25/05 01:41 AM Re: driving in Spain w/ a US license? (madrid particularly)
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Why don't you just get an international driver's permit (IDP)? If you have a valid US license, it is only a nominal fee and it lasts for a year (then you have to renew). I got mine through AAA for a $10 fee, but even if you had to pay to join AAA that is still cheaper than 800euro. You must carry your valid U.S. license with the IDP.

If you are in Madrid now, I suppose it would be difficult to get to a AAA office.

I found this on the Wisconsin Attorney General's site. They also say to be careful of the distinction between international driving permit (real) and international driver's license (a scam).
Quote:
International Driving Permits (IDPs) may be purchased for $10 from an automobile association authorized by the U.S. Department of State. At this point, only the American Automobile Association (AAA) and the American Automobile Touring Alliance are authorized distributors. IDPs are honored in more than 150 countries outside the United States and function as a legal identification document that translates U.S. driver's license information into 11 foreign languages. An IDP is not a replacement for a valid U.S. state license and should only be used as a supplement nor is it valid in an individual's country of residence. A driver would only need an IDP if visiting a country that doesn't recognize a driver's license from the United States or renting a car from a company that requires one.
Here is a link to US state department info IDP info

#39674 - 06/03/05 04:45 AM Re: driving in Spain w/ a US license? (madrid particularly)
carmendeespana Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi guys! I am surprised you have to even take the test again.

I had my driver's license exam in the US (paid around 25$ I believe) and validated here in Spain. It costed me another 30$ or so.

The RACE did all the formal work for me. Try www.race.es

This was back in 1997. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it later, but I think it is worth checking it.

This link tells you more about the International Driver's License. It's in Spanish though. http://www.dgt.es/tramites/conductores/internacional.htm

Anyway, do you currently drive a stick shift car in the US? 'Cause if you don't, it will be pretty scary to drive here.

#39675 - 06/03/05 09:06 AM Re: driving in Spain w/ a US license? (madrid particularly)
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi Carmen! I did what you did, through RACE, but I know for a fact that it can no longer be done. Foreigners must now take the tests, and it's expensive. For expats living in Spain for years this has been a great change - one I heard a lot about when I visited friends in March. What Chica says is correct - if you're a resident and living there over 6 months you MUST get a license. The International Driving Permit won't do. Here's what happens - the police asks you for your license and your ID. If you're a resident, you must show your residency card - proof that you must have a license. If you're a tourist, you show your passport, and the police check the date of your visa. If you've been there over 6 months and you don't have a license, you're in trouble. If you've been there under 6 months and you have an international driving permit, you're OK.

#39676 - 06/03/05 10:33 AM Re: driving in Spain w/ a US license? (madrid particularly)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Diane, et.al.: So foreigners and new residents have 6 months to get a drivers license. If you don't, you're in trouble. What do all those new foreigners do who don't speak/read Spanish???? confused They can't possibly take/pass those tests. And what if they don't want to drive? Does this matter? Do they still have to take the tests??

Very curious - and interested!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39677 - 06/03/05 10:55 AM Re: driving in Spain w/ a US license? (madrid particularly)
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
A drivers license is not obligatory. It's not like the US, where a drivers license is a semi-official form of ID. You only get one if you need to drive or rent a car as a long-term resident.

Since it is so easy to live here without a car, I'm sure most newly arrived immigrants don't bother. I haven't.

Also, there is a reciprocal agreement between Spain and the EU countries, along with some other countries. People from these countries can file paperwork to receive a Spanish license if they are going to stay longer than six months. Those from the US and many other parts of the world have to start all over and take the tests.

I've heard from several other ex-pats that it is now very difficult, if not impossible to rent cars once you've been in the country for more than six months. The rental agencies are really cracking down and are now even checking passport stamps and visas (at least here in Madrid). Something that they never seemed to do before.

#39678 - 06/03/05 11:21 AM Re: driving in Spain w/ a US license? (madrid particularly)
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
MM, for those who want/need to drive, the language can be a problem if they don't speak Spanish. My friends told me they found a driving school teacher who would give classes to a group in English, which is what they did. They then took the exam translated into English, but the translation was so bad, some of the questions were misleading in English and all but one of them failed. Needless to say, they were furious, and the drama continues as they argue over the guarantee they were promised. A number of them are now driving without licenses and are taking a huge risk every time they get into the car, mainly due to the insurance problem - they won't be covered in an accident. It's true that if you live in the city you can live just fine without a car or license, using public transportation, but these are people who have been in Spain for many, many years, live outside the city, have children, and have no other way to get to work and grocery shops. (And yes, for those of you thinking if they've lived there so long they should speak Spanish already - I agree!) I believe this is all part of the growing pains that accompany any big policy change. Give it another year or two and it will go much more smoothly for all foreigners in Spain. They're obviously aware of the problem and something's being done.

(When I wrote earlier about the police stopping you and asking for documents, I meant when you were driving or in the case there's been an automobile accident - not when you are just walking or not driving. Sorry I didn't make that clear.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments