Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#39613 - 03/24/05 12:19 PM Madrid Safety at night?
doragil30 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I lived in Madrid years ago and felt safe at any time in just about any neighborhood. I know things have changed. Any areas that are NOT recommended for 3 young ladies to be walking thru at night?

#39614 - 03/25/05 07:34 AM Re: Madrid Safety at night?
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
Madrid is one of the safest capitals in Europe, safer than Copenhangen for example. What times are you talking about, the 60´s?
My experience is that trouble starts when you walk by yourself from 3:30 am till 9:30 am (Sat and Sun).

Andres

#39615 - 03/25/05 11:56 AM Re: Madrid Safety at night?
Amleth Offline

I wouldn't recommend those areas where Spaniards don't go, easy smile . Common sense is better than a list of troublesome places.

#39616 - 03/25/05 03:55 PM Re: Madrid Safety at night?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

How "young" are the "young ladies"? The area of Lavapiés can be a bit sketchy at night, however if they have street smarts and are together, they probably won't have any problems.

#39617 - 03/25/05 04:56 PM Re: Madrid Safety at night?
doragil30 Offline

I lived there from '87 to '90 and felt fine going out with friends late at night. Of course, there were a few places you knew were not a good idea. I guess I'm just wondering if things have changed much since then. Still OK around Huertas, Sol & Plaza Mayor? My daughter is going w/ 2 friends, they are in their early 20's.

#39618 - 03/27/05 11:34 AM Re: Madrid Safety at night?
mse924 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA / Madrid, Españ...
If the girls are that age, they should have no problems. My friends and I that live here in Madrid are around that same age, and we walk everywhere if it's reasonable. I've walked home from Sol to Arguelles at 3 or 4 in the morning with my friends (and a couple times by myself) and never had any problems. As long as you have your wits and aren't trying to wander home completely intoxicated or something, then it's fine. Especially on the weekends (and as it gets warmer) there are TONS of people still out at night. And the areas that people of that age would be going are pretty safe...just don't get waaaay off the beaten path or anything...

#39619 - 03/27/05 12:34 PM Re: Madrid Safety at night?
doragil30 Offline

mse924,
Thanks so much for the input. I know they will have a great time!

#39620 - 03/28/05 07:45 PM Re: Madrid Safety at night?
pippo Offline

Loc: tarraco
Spain is probably one of the safest countries of world, I copy and paste the numbers from http://dataranking.com/country.cgi?LG=e&CO=30:

Homicides :

0'81 Cases per 100,000 population

Spain is really safe.

Compare it with:

USA 6.40

Canada 1.73

France 2.15

U.K. 1.50

or

Italy 1.99

Not to mention countries like

Colombia 66. 23

México 14. 72

or

Venezuela 25. 99

You will feel save in Madrid and Spain.

#39621 - 03/28/05 10:30 PM Re: Madrid Safety at night?
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
When I was in Madrid last November, I would meet every Friday night with my Spanish friend, Jimena, who works for an Amerian company in their office there for a two-hour language "intercambio". One of these evenings at about 10PM we were walking toward her bus stop on Arturo Soria and were approached by three youths about 18 or 19 years old asking us "What time is it?" (in Spanish of course). Being a New Yorker, I naturally tightened up and experienced a great feeling of apprehension. But in fact all they really did want to know was the time and they politely went on their way after thanking us. In my mind at least comparing New York and Madrid, I know which city feels safer to me.

#39622 - 03/31/05 10:13 AM Re: Madrid Safety at night?
ellenoregon Offline

Loc: oregon usa
I just got from Spain, including three nights in Madrid. After reading the horror stories on this website and guidebooks I was very apprehensive about crime in Madrid. However, I never saw anything that deserved my worry. True, I wasn't out past midnight, and I think the police were out in force due to it being Holy Week, but the streets were full of people and certainly we probably were obvious as tourists. There are lots of young people out and young Americans will blend in better than the older ones. I always kept my wallet in my front pocket, and when I had a knapsack on in very crowded areas, I swung it to my front. Maybe I was just lucky, but NYC seems much scarier than Madrid. One thing about Spainish towns and cities --they are very well lit at night because so much happens after dark. That helps alot.

#39623 - 03/31/05 08:19 PM Re: Madrid Safety at night?
VPF Offline

Loc: South Carolina, USA
My daughter and I just returned from a wonderful week in Madrid. I understand why Madridman loves it so!!! It is a beautiful, clean, friendly city. We enjoyed every minute. I had been a little apprehensive about the 2 of us being there and being out and about alone, but we never once had even the slightest uncomfortable encounter. We never saw or experienced anything that gave us concern and we were out and about a lot after dark. Thanks so much to all you wonderful Spaniards. You really were as gracious as I had heard!!! VPF

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cruz70, e-man, Jaybe, kittygregg
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1625 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments