Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#39586 - 03/11/05 06:45 PM Laptop security in hotel rooms
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Is it safe to leave a laptop in a hotel room (4 stars) in Spain? I don't want to carry it everywhere I go, and I also don't want it to disappear. Most hotel room safes are too small for a laptop. I do have a computer security cable with a key lock.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

#39587 - 03/12/05 07:08 AM Re: Laptop security in hotel rooms
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
I know that laptops have became a part of our everyday life. But, if it were me I would not take it. Leaving it in a room would not be a good thing. Chances are it would be ok in a 4 star hotel but why risk it. I doubt that your home owners insurance would cover the loss in Spain that it would in a hotel here in the States.

Have fun and stay safe.

#39588 - 03/12/05 02:03 PM Re: Laptop security in hotel rooms
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Diana,

I would only take a laptop if it was a necessity and would be sure that I had insurance that would cover its loss. I seldom take laptops even here in the U.S. because their very best feature,their portability, is what attracts thieves.

I found it unnecessary because the Internet cafes were everywhere in Spain.

#39589 - 03/12/05 02:27 PM Re: Laptop security in hotel rooms
Diana Offline

Thanks, desert dweller and Booklady. I'm now 90% sure the laptop will stay home. I've always used internet cafes in Europe, and know how easy it is, but this trip will involve a lot of digital photos and video clips, as well as keeping up a web site. Tomorrow I'll buy a whole lot more memory for one of the digital cameras, and my web site can survive with text updates and no photo updates! The advice I've been getting from a friend who travels through Europe constantly with his laptop has been a long list of do's and don'ts, including your idea of home insurance, backing up everything before leaving, using the security cable, using reception desks when the safe is too small, buying special security programs, but mostly, simply keeping it with me at all times - exactly what I can't do!
Thanks again!

#39590 - 11/09/05 06:25 PM Re: Laptop security in hotel rooms
eltorero Offline

I would not bring a laptop at all. I know that you could use it, but if your trip is for pleasure, I would think you would better spend the time out in the city, seeing all the cool stuff in Spain, not updating a blog or emailing people. Yes, keeping in touch with home is nice, but if my trip is less than three weeks, I save the stories for when I get home, spending my time in Spain rather than in cyberspace.
If you must use a computer once or twice, use a cybercafe or many hotels provide a computer room. I'm sure your computer would probably be safe, but Iwouldn't risk it, and I don't think bringing one would be worth it anyway.

#39591 - 11/10/05 08:38 AM Re: Laptop security in hotel rooms
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
This is an old thread and since I do carry a laptop with me on every trip I am on, because of my digital camera storage needs, I will give you my silly point of view.

My laptop weights four pounds so it is light to carry. It is not the fastest laptop this is why many PC laptops are heavy. I leave it at the place I am staying in locked in my suitcase. I do not stay at four star hotels when I paying the hotel bill. I search out places to stay that are small and family owned. Over the years I have been fortunate to find places to stay that cost me 50 euros or less and when I check in, I am greeted by the owner(s).

The reason I prefer family run places to stay at, is because the owner(s) take pride in the appearance, service, the staff they hire to clean the rooms and safety of their guests. I have even stayed places were the owners were the one cleaning your room. I cannot prevent anyone knowing that I am carrying expensive digital camera gear. I have to have it out of the bag while shooting, but I did not advertise that I am also carrying a laptop and us it in my room at night to backup my photos.

This is how I protect myself. I carry a lightweight laptop; stay at small, family run hostel/b&b, lock the laptop in my suitcase when I am out and do not advertise to anyone I have one.

I will add using Internet Café in Italy has gotten difficult because now you have to show your passport before you can use one of the PCs. Now if I was a thief and wanted to steal a passport where would I go?

Bill

#39592 - 11/10/05 08:50 AM Re: Laptop security in hotel rooms
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Good suggestions. Those laptop computer carrying-bags are a dead giveaway. You can get the laptop-carrying backpacks instead and they have a lot more pockets, plus they're less obvious of the contents.

Also, if you must take a laptop and want to leave it in the room, I'd recommend putting the laptop INSIDE the laptop bag (if you have one) and then leaving it in an obvious place on a counter, wrap-and-clip the strap around something sturdy/unmoveable, and then attach one of those metal "tether" cables (which you often see in computer magazines) from the laptop and around some stable object in the room. Just do it in such a way that the cleaning person WILL notice the tether and then won't attempt to move the case in order to clean underneath, possibly dropping the case on the floor.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39593 - 11/10/05 01:31 PM Re: Laptop security in hotel rooms
Diana Offline

This is an old thread, and I've long been back from that trip, but my hope is that any information posted can be helpful to someone else some day.

I didn't take a laptop with me on the trip in March, and relied on internet cafes and hotel computers, which was fine. If I had to do it again, I actually probably would take it, and here's why. I found that most of the hotels I stayed in (all 4 star) had safes that were big enough for a laptop. Several also had free wireless internet connection. That was nice! This wasn't a pleasure trip for me, and I didn't pay for the hotels wink but next time I'm on a similar trip I'll probably bring it along - not because of any hobby of mine, but because a lot of people were relying on me for information. Getting online in a hotel is so much easier than going out looking for an internet cafe, especially when you've been busy on your feet all day already. (I did rely on hotel computers with Internet access. They are handy, but can be pricey - or free - depending on the hotel.)

I've noticed that there are cases for laptops that are nice and slim, without all the extra pockets. I'm seriously considering getting one. All I need is some protection for the computer - nothing else. It would fit into my hand luggage nicely, and not scream "Computer!"

Usually I stay in private homes in Spain, when I'm on vacation. I'd have no problem taking a laptop along on those trips, and leave it in the house. But that's when I have to make the decision of whether or not I want to really "get away," something that's hard to do when a computer beckons!

#39594 - 11/10/05 02:45 PM Re: Laptop security in hotel rooms
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Quote:
I've noticed that there are cases for laptops that are nice and slim, without all the extra pockets. I'm seriously considering getting one. All I need is some protection for the computer - nothing else. It would fit into my hand luggage nicely, and not scream "Computer!"
I do not carry a laptop case. My laptop fits into my camera bag. I carry my laptop in a sleeve to protect it. It is like a foam bag that the laptop goes into.
Laptop Sleeve

Bill

#39595 - 11/10/05 03:24 PM Re: Laptop security in hotel rooms
Diana Offline

Yes, Bill, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks for the link!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments