Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#39581 - 03/08/05 05:27 PM rental car safety
sandyb42 Offline

Loc: USA
Hello all,

We have rented a small van for 2 couples traveling together in Spain. After reading so much about luggage theft I am now wondering if we are in the wrong type of vehicle. We will pick up our car in Madrid and return it in Sevilla. So, that means we will be stopping along the way between destinations at various points of interest which will require leaving luggage in the car -- and, in a van it will be visible. Should we be in a standard sedan instead with covered trunk/boot for luggage. Thank. Sandy

#39582 - 03/10/05 07:02 AM Re: rental car safety
Amleth Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi sandy!

It all depends on where you're going (villages or cities, monuments or campings, etc). There are campings full of tourists with their luggage and there might be thefts, but just as everywhere. My piece of advice is: Be sensible and do what you would do at home smile .

I'd rent a van if we were too many and had a small budget (countryside, campings, etc), and a car if I wanted to be comfortable (cities, hotels, etc).

#39583 - 03/11/05 11:52 AM Re: rental car safety
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Keep in mind when you are packing to make this trip, that those vans are not the usual American sized minivan. So don't take large luggage like you are going on some round the world voyage. Both the cars and vans are smaller. It is best to park in the under ground parking, when possible park with car or van backed next to a wall. In other word the trunk or back door to the van is next to a wall of the underground parking. This will give some degree of deterance to the street punks.

Stay safe and have fun.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments