MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#39560 - 02/14/05 08:47 AM Re: Fire Ravages Madrid Sky Scraper, No Injuries
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
As deibid says, the only reason this wasn't an awful awful disaster was the timing of the fire - middle of the night. Deloitte offices were housed in something like 20 of the 25 floors in the Winsdor building.

I can't imagine an inferno like what I've seen on the webcams and the news and not having multiple injuries - the Madrid fire department and emergency teams are, as they have proved so often, first rate.

Frightening that it will take a week to cool off enough for - I suppose - removal of the remains. That's paraphrasing BBC and CNN - and If I misinterpreted that statement - I apolgize in advance. I assume the entire building will be razed - All news reports now say the immenent danger of collapse is past -

Regardless, thank God no one was killed and those injured will recovery.

#39561 - 02/14/05 01:41 PM Re: Fire Ravages Madrid Sky Scraper, No Injuries
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Deibid has answered for me smile

Offices were empty because in saturday nights only security personel work. It seems extinction and detection systems failed.

However, if this had happened in working days, the fire would have been detected very quickly, and it would probably have been extinguished inmediately. Obviously moving hundreds of persons to evacuate a building is always risky, so we don't know what would have happened.

Anyway, I still think this time emergency teams and authorities have done their job well.

Fernando

#39562 - 02/14/05 03:46 PM Re: Fire Ravages Madrid Sky Scraper, No Injuries
Supertubbie Offline

Loc: Madrid
I have seen the fire outside. It was around the corner of my house and I wondered what would have happend on a monday. The fire went so quick it was shocking. Afcourse it would be detected on time but still I saw windows got in extreme fire minute after minute. And what happens if the peoplem above the 21 first floor can't get down.

The building is so stucked between other that it's hard to reach. In Amsterdam (where I come from) but i think also in a lot of other cities there is a space problem so every hole between building is filled. But what if something like that happens in a appartment building pffffffffff.

The arrea will be clossed till wendsday. The coming 48 hours (now 24) the building could still collapse because the iron is getting cold and that could couse collapsing. I wondefr how they are going to break that down?

#39563 - 08/23/05 08:22 PM Re: Fire Ravages Madrid Sky Scraper, No Injuries
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...

And now, Here's the Windsor Building - or what's left of it. Read the article at Madridiario here .

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39564 - 08/24/05 02:31 AM Re: Fire Ravages Madrid Sky Scraper, No Injuries
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
I was there yesterday and it's amazing how the building has been totally dismantled.
Now they are working hard to reopen the big avenue (Raimundo Fernandez Villaverde) in Sept. 1.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments