Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#39494 - 01/08/05 06:03 AM Re: Caveat while in Madrid!!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Doņa Carmen (Booklady) writes:
Quote:
Eddie, great idea, but as an older woman, I would be a bit afraid to take their Matricula. What if they are armed, or would want to hurt me!
My intent was to say: take note of the License Plate (Matricula) on their car so one can report it to the Police.

BTW
I don't think: 9459 TZ is a Madrid Tag # eek

#39495 - 01/10/05 02:22 PM Re: Caveat while in Madrid!!
VannieNY Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
wow, i found another Madrid travel site and have read more of the same, i am really starting to rethink this trip to Madrid and i'm thinking maybe i'll try some other area of Spain to start.

#39496 - 01/10/05 02:46 PM Re: Caveat while in Madrid!!
Eduardoca Offline

Loc: California USA
Vannie,please tell me what site that was.I am going to Madrid on Jan 21 and just may change my plans and move on to another town if it is that bad.

#39497 - 01/10/05 03:32 PM Re: Caveat while in Madrid!!
gregorio Offline

Loc: seattle
Before my first trip to Madrid I was totally paranoid about these things, and always "on-guard". Are there pick pockets in Madrid, sure, but tell me a place that doesn't have any petty crime. Being a male, of relative stature, if someone wants to show me a fake police badge, he better be ready "cuff"! Go, travel, just be aware of your sourrounding.

#39498 - 01/10/05 04:01 PM Re: Caveat while in Madrid!!
ditravelphoto Offline

Loc: Seattle
Vannie - I agree, Madrid is not a den of crime, don't second guess your trip because of this!! If you research any other big city to travel in you'll get many of the same kinds of warnings. Including New York, Chicago....

I have been 3 times now, walked around with a purse and 2 cameras hanging off me and NO PROBLEMS. As with anywhere, pay attention to where you are, don't carry every cent you bring with you where they can get to it, money belt, money belt, money belt!

Now this Police decoy thing is an interesting twist, but let's look at it with some common sense...would a REAL Policeman refuse to show you their badge again, would they ask you to get into an unmarked car? (especially when your crime was sitting on a park bench!)

Sure things are different in different countries, but if the situation feels wrong, ask for more information, if they won't give it.....scream your head off and get as many people looking your way as possible!! If they are real police, they will stay, if they are not, you can almost guarantee they will run. Oh, and do you have a cell phone with a camera, or just a camera?? Take their picture!! :p

#39499 - 01/10/05 04:22 PM Re: Caveat while in Madrid!!
VannieNY Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
i hear you, i just keep hearing so many stories but I'll keep my common sense about me. some of the stories have me cracking up, i have to admit, lol. here's the link and at the top of the page, click Safe Travel,http://www.travelinginspain.com/

#39500 - 01/10/05 05:15 PM Re: Caveat while in Madrid!!
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Don't let a few bad stories deter you from visiting Madrid. I feel for anyone who had a crime happen to them (in the US, my husband was mugged at gunpoint in front of our house, saw someone shot, and I had very close friends who were very badly beaten), but stuff can happen in any big city--and tourists are always more vulnerable and easily distracted than everyday residents.

The truth is that violent crime is much, much lower in Spain and Madrid that in a similar US city. I've never lived in a big city (Chicago, DC, Barcelona, Seattle, etc.) where I've felt safer at all hours.

Pickpocketing is fairly prevalent in tourist areas, but easily prevented in most cases (though some people are just really good at it).

For what it's worth, I'm a small woman and I walk all over the center of Madrid at all hours, often by myself and I've never had a single problem. I live right next to the Rastro (pickpocket heaven) and walk through the crowds practically every weekend and have never been pickpocketed.

That said--having lived in big cities for a long time--I'm careful. I never carry a purse (the easiest way to get pickpocketed). I always keep my money in my front pocket or coat pocket. I don't carry important stuff in a backpack or bag. If I have to carry something important off my person, I put it in a nasty plastic grocery bag that's tied shut (no one ever thinks to steal those). I'm aware of my surroundings in crowds and on the metro.

I don't let someone who is asking for directions come close to me. This is an old trick...the person pretends to be a tourist, with a map and everything, and then someone else picks your pocket when you're distracted. Same thing happens in New York, DC, Paris, San Francisco, etc... You should hear the stories that many Spaniards tell about their "scary" trips to American cities.

#39501 - 01/11/05 01:54 PM Re: Caveat while in Madrid!!
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
VannieNY:

Madrid is very, VERY safe in comparison to American cities. There is a lot of petty theft, but no more than in any other European capital where thieves of all walks of life take advantage of the naivete that is inherent in most first-time tourists.

Here's an uplifting story: My wallet was stolen while traveling alone in Italy 2 years ago. I was devastated, but luckily my sister wired me some money and it happened 2 days before I was to return home. Well, about 20 days later, I received a letter from the American Consulate in Florence. My wallet had been turned over to them by the Carabinieri. They had busted the thief on another attempt and found my wallet on his person. I received my wallet with all its contents and a check for 90 Euros from the Treasury - the amount that was in my wallet when it was stolen. I can only imagine how many hands this wallet passed through that could have taken the money easily. The moral of the story is, there are good people and bad people everywhere.

#39502 - 01/11/05 04:10 PM Re: Caveat while in Madrid!!
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Silvita--
The same thing happened to me when I was livign in Barcelona. I lost track of my purse on the metro (see why I learned not to carry one!). Someone turned it in to the comisaria my all my money, credit cards, passport, etc. The comisaria took the time to track me down the same day--not an easy feat--to let me know that they had my purse.

And in Segovia, ten years ago, I left my camera on a park bench in front of the cathedral, and when I went back an HOUR later it was still there.

I could go on and on about the generosity and "kindness of strangers"...

#39503 - 01/11/05 04:23 PM Re: Caveat while in Madrid!!
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Apply and extra level of caution around that Rastro area. That has been a den of theves for as long as I can remember. Most travel web sites will tell you to apply caution around crowded areas and to be aware of you surrounding when using an ATM. wink

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2675 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments