Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#39469 - 12/15/04 05:06 PM Trying to not get scammed.
charlieh Offline

Loc: boulder
A man in Nigeria has been contacting me. It reeks like a scam, but he wants no money from me until delivery. He wants me to come to Madrid. I know what you are all thinking, but I do need a vacation. Do I need to be especially worried? My expectations are very low. I am not stupid, and I am well traveled.

#39470 - 12/15/04 05:29 PM Re: Trying to not get scammed.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi charlieh! Welcome to our little ALL SPAIN Message Board. smile

Yeah, I'm certain it's a scam. I/We recently heard from someone (in the USA) saying they actually received a telephone call from someone IN Madrid stating the same. I did a search of the company name "claiming" to be handing out large sums of money to anyone who wanted it rolleyes and found absolutely nothing about them online. DOINK! Scam Attempt Thwarted! People have posted news about this kind of scam here and upon inspecting the A) company name (was false), B) Company Address (didn't exist), & C) Telephone Number (was to a cellphone)- we all agreed that it was a farce, a scam, simply fraud.

Feel free to post your information of this so-called company here and we'll happily rip it to shreds for you - and then ask for more! hehehe...

You can do a Google.com search yourself by putting the company name in quotations and you'll likely find other people around the world asking about the authenticity of the same company.

While this doesn't apply to you, it's amazing how many people have contacted ME telling me they were told they just won a lottery and then asking ME if a particularly lottery commission in Madrid was reputable one - and.. (here's the kicker...) ... they hadn't even entered any lottery in Madrid .... and hadn't ever visited Spain!!

Best of luck! And "don't take any wooden nickles"! (old saying in the USA recommending someone not to be fooled easily by accepting wooden coins)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39471 - 12/15/04 05:57 PM Re: Trying to not get scammed.
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Put "Nigeria 419" in your search of choice. Read about the scam.

One of the reasons they like to get people to travel to a location is so they can be kidnapped and held for ransom, or in some cases even killed, and their identity used for forged papers to get someone into the US or another country who doesn't belong.

Always remember. Oil deals, etc, that promise you a lot, are nothing but scams. If there's money out there to be made, rest assured the guys with cash in their jeans, and inside the operations themselves, are the ones raking it in, not some poor boob who gets an "email" offering great wealth.

There's only one thing you can get from any of these things. Heartbreak. You could even be killed.

Wolf

#39472 - 12/16/04 11:09 AM Re: Trying to not get scammed.
Chus Offline

Loc: Charlotte, N.C., USA
How curious! This very morning a co-worker brought me a letter mailed to her from somebody in Spain with the "You won the lottery...blah, blah" story. Of course I told her it was a scam and not to believe such things, but what it really amazed me is it wasn't an email but a letter! Somebody had gone through the trouble of printing a couple pages, putting them in an envelope and taking it to the post office (got those kind of stamps printed at the post office) Makes you wonder how desperate this people are... frown

#39473 - 12/16/04 01:32 PM Re: Trying to not get scammed.
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
I did as you suggested Wolf, there was no shortage of sites that are talking about these scams. One was dedicated to ideas to seek revenge on the scammers. I have heard of these great offers for years but have not been approached. Guess I am to poor, for those wealthy Nigerians to want to hassle. smile

#39474 - 12/16/04 06:20 PM Re: Trying to not get scammed.
charlieh Offline

Loc: boulder
Thanks for the insights. The only reason that I didn't just ignore this guy was that he wants no money. He said that there was a plane crash and someone with my last name died with no heirs......of course I was/am skeptical, but what really do I have to lose to check it out? If I actually went to meet him, I wouldn't go alone. It could be fun.
This board is awesome. Thanks

#39475 - 12/16/04 10:15 PM Re: Trying to not get scammed.
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Hell! Why not? They don't mind killing two, three, or four people at a time, and you'd get some great headlines.

The problem is, these people are members of an organized ring that is operating throughout the world, and they really don't give a damned about your "protection." They want your ID, and they may as well get another one along with it.

You should turn this over to the people at the FCC, because they're trying to round these people up.

Wolf

#39476 - 12/17/04 06:52 PM Re: Trying to not get scammed.
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
There have been no plane crashes in Spain for years (I would say decades even). Besides, you will get equally fooled.

They will make you come to Spain, then would try by any possible means to convince you to give them (or to an account of their chocie) some dozen thousand dollars "in order to manage the claiming of your future money", and then they will run away with your money.

It is very improbable that your personal safety is in danger, but I will bet you 1 million dollars that you will loose your money.

In Spain heritages are claimed by the state if no heirs claim it by themselves.

It if more secure to play lottery than what you intend to do.

Said that, it is your decission.

Fernando

#39477 - 08/23/05 03:17 PM Re: Trying to not get scammed.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wolf, above, mentions the NIGERIA 419 scam. Read the BBC News article Turning the tables on Nigeria's e-mail conmen @ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3887493.stm .

First paragraph...
Quote:
Mike is a "scambaiter," dedicated to fighting back against those who send out the notorious 419 e-mails, promising untold wealth to anyone gullible or naive enough to disclose their bank details.
Read the rest of the article @ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3887493.stm .

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39478 - 08/23/05 05:09 PM Re: Trying to not get scammed.
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
MM: That was a good article, I am surprised that some frat brothers around the US have not started to scam these dudes. Obviously by that photo they are able to take their own bait.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments