Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3946 - 04/04/02 08:21 PM Hostales for solo travel
sgerene Offline

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX
I am going to Spain for the first time (alone) June11- July 9 and I need any info- I am a young, outgoing teacher from Texas and meet people very easily- I was hoping someone could let me know which hostals in Madrid - would be best suited for me to meet other young travelers? I want to book my first two nights soon and woould like to stay somewhere at first were I have my own room

Also any info on basically anything you know about traveling solo as a young woman-
I plan to start in Madrid head south to Costa Brava, Sevilla, Granada, head up the coast to Valemcia on to Barcelona, Zaragozq and then to Basque area and back to Madrid- I speak pretty good conversational Spanish(im from sout texas)

Sorry if this email is choppy and long- im grading journals right now
Thanks for any help
sara

#3947 - 04/04/02 11:20 PM Re: Hostales for solo travel
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Sara,

Check out Safety & Security Issues, also there is a website by one of the ladies who is a full member, I'm getting a brain fart right now, and I can't remember her name frown I'll let you know soon :p

But read the threads in the Safety and Security..I'm travelling alone also in a 3 1/2 weeks, I will let you know how my solo travel went. I think you have one up on me...since you know enough conversational Spanish... wink

Most of the posts I've reviewed gave me the impression that with common sense, you should be okay...I also decided I would get a GSM phone with me for the added security...

I hope this helps a little...Good luck on the search rolleyes

Wyndy

#3948 - 04/04/02 11:29 PM Re: Hostales for solo travel
sgerene Offline

thanks- let me know where you stay, etc...

#3949 - 04/05/02 05:31 AM Re: Hostales for solo travel
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Sara writes:
Quote:
I am going to Spain for the first time (alone) June11- July 9 and I need any info- I am a young, outgoing teacher from Texas and meet people very easily ...
... I plan to start in Madrid head south to Costa Brava, Sevilla, Granada, head up the coast to Valemcia on to Barcelona, Zaragozq and then to Basque area and back to Madrid ...
I can't tell you anything about travelling solo as a young woman (a Maestra - that's a schoolteacher). I can tell you that the Costa Brava isn't south from Madrid - it's between Barcelona and the France border. You may think you know Spanish (i.e., Tex-Mex) and you probably know enough to get in trouble; but the people in Spain speak a lot faster than the Mexicans. eek
It may be very warm in Andalucia (especially inland) by mid-to-late June, so you might change your itinerary and head north a little earlier than planned. Enjoy! cool

#3950 - 04/05/02 07:47 AM Re: Hostales for solo travel
sgerene Offline

I guess thank you- I guess being from Philly you do not know anything about"TEXMEX" because is actually spoken extremely fast and broken up- also I have spent a lot of time in Mexico- with different dialects-

#3951 - 04/05/02 08:15 AM Re: Hostales for solo travel
Soffy Offline

Loc: London
Does anyone have recommendations for the suitable hostals/youth-hostels. I am planning a similar trip in the middle of May, and not worried about travelling solo, in terms of security, but would like to know which are the friendliest places to stay in terms of meeting other travellers. I tend to avoid staying in hotels or places that don't have any kind of communal rooms where people hang out and you can get talking. I love travelling on my own because of the independence it gives me. Sometimes it can be boring just sitting in your bedroom if you're travelling alone, and it's fun to meet people in the (relative) safety of your hostal/youth-hostel. So where can you recommend in Madrid? Thanks.

#3952 - 04/05/02 11:53 AM Re: Hostales for solo travel
rainspooner Offline

Loc: Phoenix
Sgerene,

You'll do fine with your Spanish! You're way ahead of most Americans in Spain.

"Tex-Mex"? How funny. What's that? A restaraunt that features fajitas?

Solo travel is fun.

#3953 - 04/05/02 12:01 PM Re: Hostales for solo travel
rainspooner Offline

Loc: Phoenix
Sgerene,

Check out "Let's Go Spain & Portugal" from the library. It's a great resource for young, adventurous travellers. Lots of good info on safety and solo issues. It suggests lots of great places to stay. The "Huertas" neighborhood in Madrid is a haven for the "backpacker" types.

I agree with Joe in Philly about the heat in inland Andalucia. You're from south Texas, I'm from Phoenix, we KNOW about HEAT. But, you might as well enjoy Andalucia as early as possible before the heat builds too much. It will be more pleasant.

#3954 - 04/05/02 12:19 PM Re: Hostales for solo travel
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Sara, smile

The website I was referring to was churrocaliente's...
www.travelersjournal.org

I'm trying to book with Hostal Chelo , but I know the owner is a very busy guy wink and so I am still waiting to see if they have rooms left.

Wyndy rolleyes

#3955 - 04/15/02 11:52 PM Re: Hostales for solo travel
jensdog Offline

Loc: Houston, TX 77006
Hi Sara - I am also a teacher from Texas (Houston) although I don't know that I count as young anymore. I certainly like to think so. I am planning my 4th solo trip to Spain this summer. I could never do the dormitory thing when I travelled so I never really relied on Hostels as a place to meet people. I sort of just met people out and about either sightseeing or in bars and whatnot. I did stay at the Hostal Martin last time I was in Madrid and that was a pretty good place to stay. Decent neighborhood in my opinion. Always lots of people around so I felt pretty safe and Plaza de Santa Ana is very nearby and there is good nightlife and lots of travellers around there.

I never really had any problems travelling alone. You do need to get used to the fact that Spanish men are much more outspoken in their "compliments" than American guys tend to be but other than that I never had problems with being harassed or crime or anything.

Even being from Houston I found Sevilla and Granada to be unbearably hot in late June/ early July so I tended to keep my meanderings on the coast where I found the weather to be much nicer. Barcelona was fun but very expensive. I stayed at the Hostal Levante in a teeny tiny room that was very cheap and pretty close to everything. However, Hostals in Barcelona tend to fill up in the summer very quickly so that may be something you want to plan ahead for. My last trip I flew into and out of Barcelona and I reserved my room in advance for the first few days but didn't bother on my way out and I wound up staying in a hotel and paying way more than I wanted to.

I am sure you will be fine with your Spanish. I am at about an intermediate level and living in Houston I have picked up some crazy Spanglish but I did just fine with the language. I will also be in Madrid from the 6th of July until the 9th when I have to catch my flight back to the states. Let me know if I can help you out with anything as I am becoming an old pro at this.

Jennifer

#3956 - 04/16/02 05:47 AM Re: Hostales for solo travel
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
sgerene, hostels (called "hostales" in Spainsh as you already know) in Spain aren't really known for being places to meet young people although it is possible. I was talking to the owners of Hostal López a few weeks ago and they told me the average age was in the 40s. I was surprised to hear this, but apparently people of all ages still want value for their money, preferring to spend more on things to do/see than where they sleep. It's logical.

To meet young people, you might want to instead consider a youth-hostel. I don't really recommend youth-hostels (called "albergue juveniles") because while you'll meet more young people, it's not always comfortable sleeping in a room with several people whom you don't know and there's always the issue of security/safety of your things while you're sleeping or out and about seeing the sites.

You might do better to stay in a hostel (called "hostal") and then go places to meet young people. Good luck and have a wonderful traveling sola throughout Spain!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#3957 - 04/17/02 03:32 PM Re: Hostales for solo travel
sgerene Offline

JEN-
I would love to talk more - where and what do you teach in Houston? is there anyway i could get your email to get more info from you?
thanks,
sara

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments