Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#39156 - 06/14/04 05:25 PM Re: Embarrassing fussing mother
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Jo-Anne,
And poor Rubin thought he was going to Spain and getting "away" from Mom & Dad's friends .... ah well - think again!
Seriously, as a parent who has felt exactly rolleyes confused rolleyes what you are feeling - and I do understand and empathise - I remember realizing that my daughter had far more common sense than I emotionally felt she did. Note that I say "emotionally" - like you, I mentally knew she had more than her fair share of common sense - but emotionally .... she was my "little girl" ....

How lucky you and Jes are to have so many people in Madrid volunteering ..... Keep us all posted on how Ruuben does ... and how you are holding up!

#39157 - 06/16/04 04:59 AM Re: Embarrassing fussing mother
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Thanks Puna

Yes, you are right. And you know, I really don't feel too worried at all now. Ruben is sensible and knows his own mind. And I'm sure he'll be fine. I'm just really excited for him now.

It's strange, I think I am more concerned about him going to a gig in Manchester in a couple of weeks time, than I am about him going to Madrid. The thought of him hanging around at 2am in Picadilly waiting for the last train - eeeeeek!

Aaargh - now I think about it, I'm not sure about his journey from Liverpool Lime Street to Liverpool John Lennon Airport and vice versa on his return from Madrid rolleyes :p rolleyes

Does it ever end? wink

Thanks again everyone.

Happy Mum

#39158 - 06/30/04 01:21 PM Re: Embarrassing fussing mother
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Jo-Anne:

Those anticdotes about the Spaniards are just so typical. . . I remember when I was first in Madrid hearing someone in the side street below my hostal yelling that he was being attacked and robbed (I have only heard of one person being assulted whom I knew personally in over four years). Naturally and several guests and I ran to the terrace overlooking the street, and just about every window of every apartment was open with people leaning out, shouting at the thief/assailant, calling the police and by the time I raced down the five stories to help, I found the young man (I think a Japanese tourist) surrounded by a large group of Spaniards (lucky him, so many were beautiful women!), tenderly caring for him, taking him inside a restaurant, etc. I remember a group of men were running after the thief, and it really made me feel great to be in Spain.

I also see young children (like maybe 8 to 12 years old) playing at 10 pm, perfectly safe in the city parks! In Spain children are generally looked after by the whole community. They are the most precious resource we have, and the citizens definitely show it.

The only warning I would give is to stay out of Retiro Park after dark. It is a beautiful place, but there are drug dealers and often rather unsavory people there, especially after the sun goes down. I am not certain it is open after dark, but just in case. . . I sometimes paint there in the day in the summer, and there are a great number of police crusing around, both Madrid Police and National Police, so I think the day would be perfectly safe. I would also advise against wandering around the smaller streets in the Gran Via and Lavapies areas after dark, especially alone, for the same reasons. In the daytime it should not be a problem if he takes the usual precautions mentioned elsewhere regarding thieves.

On the whole, I feel safer in Madrid than about any other large city I have ever been in.

Hope he thoroughly enjoys his trip!

#39159 - 06/30/04 04:06 PM Re: Embarrassing fussing mother
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Good post Martin smile

Retiro Park is closed now after dark because it had no sense to keep it open (it only attracted criminals). The rest of the day is a delicious place and quite safe (there are policemen constantly patrolling it).

As for pickpocketers, madrileños are conscious and will try to warn or help tourists if needed. It is said that half a century or more ago people even did things like throwing objects from the windows to the thieves to stop them!

Fernando

#39160 - 06/30/04 04:13 PM Re: Embarrassing fussing mother
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Now this is what this board and its members are all about. If this isn't family, I don't know what is. This is why MadridMan can be proud of this site. It has the best people anywhere out here in cyberland.

My hat's off to all of you who have offered your assistance to this young man and his Mom.

It reminds me of when we were in Basque Country, and a friend of ours daughter was staying at their summer place alone for the week. She was only 15. Of course my brow furrowed until they went on to explain how the people living in the community where they had their summer home become surrogate parents to all the children when Mom and Dad aren't around. After seeing it first hand, when we went there, I was totally elated to see such caring amongst people.

Its sad it isn't nearly as strongly entrenched in our own society here in America. It was, but that was a long time ago, and has sadly passed.

Wolf

#39161 - 06/30/04 04:50 PM Re: Embarrassing fussing mother
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

cool laugh laugh laugh cool

#39162 - 07/02/04 09:42 AM Re: Embarrassing fussing mother
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Hey Jo - I'm guessing Ruben is now in Madrid & on his own. Are you still in one piece and smiling or has maternal instinct driven you to skulking around the barrios in disguise?
wink

#39163 - 07/03/04 09:09 AM Re: Embarrassing fussing mother
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
I just hope Ruben isn't aware of this board. Otherwise he's going to be totally paranoid, thinking he's being followed all the time!!!!

#39164 - 07/03/04 09:19 AM Re: Embarrassing fussing mother
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

I know, it was a toss up whether to post anything or not rolleyes But everyone's been great.

#39165 - 07/04/04 11:51 AM Re: Embarrassing fussing mother
ruben Offline

Loc: Holmfirth
Thanks to everyone who offered their advice and help, I really appreciate it.

I have bought plenty of camo gear so no-one will be able to spot me rolleyes

I set off on Thursday and will let you know how I get on and what I did.

Really looking forward to my trip now.

Regards.

Ruben.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments