Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#39124 - 05/12/04 04:19 PM Where to keep the $????
jenia.alexis Offline

Loc: new york
Hello everyone!

i am finally going to Spain in the end of May (very excited about the trip!!!)
the only question that i have is about the money.
I know from this board and other people about pickpockets and was wondering where it would be the best place to keep the money/credit cards.
Pockets?
Belts?
i know from previous experience to store passport and large amounts at the hotel safe.

also, is it true that you have to show your passport every time you make cresit card purchase?

thanks, in advance for looking at my post.

Alexis

#39125 - 05/12/04 05:03 PM Re: Where to keep the $????
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Normally, I don't carry large sums of money around. However, what I do carry with me goes in my front pants pocket. Anybody who attempts to put his/her hand in my pocket wouldn't be missed.

But, there's always my mother's way...tried and true...in your bra.

Sheryl

P.S. As to credit cards...I can't answer that one...I never use them in Europe.

#39126 - 05/13/04 12:43 AM Re: Where to keep the $????
Judy S. Offline

Loc: Southern California
I was in Madrid in April and I did not have to show any ID when using credit or debit cards.

#39127 - 05/13/04 01:56 AM Re: Where to keep the $????
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I was in Spain in January and was asked for passport most of the time when I used a credit card. That may have to do with the fact that I was usally using the credit card for things like train tickets (AVE) or for larger purchases. Some people have posted elsewhere on the forum, that they were able to just show a copy of their passport in those situations.

I was traveling in winter so I had more layers, I kept immediate access cash in front pocket. I kept passport, a credit card, and more cash in a neck pouch that I kept under my top layer (usually a sweater). The neck pouch might be harder to deal with in May when clothing tends to be lighter.

#39128 - 05/13/04 08:08 AM Re: Where to keep the $????
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
If you have a thin "wallet" designed for one or two credit cards and a few bills, that would be ideal and non bulky. The M.O. is to ask for your passport when using your credit card although one time I used my Calif driver's license--which fits perfectly into the thin wallet. Otherwise I front pocket everything valuable. And to be safe, distribute your cash, some on you, some in your purse/bag, some in your luggage pack in the hotel room, and some in some other piece of luggage. That way you hedge your bets.

#39129 - 05/21/04 04:50 PM Re: Where to keep the $????
jenia.alexis Offline

Loc: new york
Thanks for your responses!

i will be leaving for Madrid next week and i am VERY excited about the trip.
Personally i don't have any "terrorist" concern and really looking forward to seeing this beautiful country for the first time. Alexis

#39130 - 06/11/04 04:35 AM Re: Where to keep the $????
urbancalgirl Offline

Loc: United States
This may seem strange, but it saved me! When I was in Madrid, I put my credit card in my boots. I had the kind that zip up the sides so when I needed my credit card, I just reached down and unzipped my boot. My bag got stolen while I was sitting in an internet cafe and I didn't lose any money because it was all in my shoe!

That brings up another issue- watch yourself in internet cafes! You'll get engrossed in your emails, and someone will reach under your table and grab your backpack from under you. It happened to me. Always keep your bag on your lap or the strap tied around your feet.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments