Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#39110 - 05/04/04 04:55 PM Madrid--money belt, safety gadgets?
AJ_dup1 Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
I’m wondering if I’m over thinking (and thus overspending) on ‘safety’ gadgets to deter pickpockets?

On my buying list so far is: a money belt, a wallet that attaches to your inside pocket, and an ankle band with zipper pockets. Am I about to waste $50+ on paranoia or is a worthwhile investment for Madrid?

Fwiw-I was going to buy all three because my passport/credit cards only fit in the ankle band, the money belt is for serious emergency/back-up cash and the wallet is for daily shopping/spending stuff.

My gut is saying better safe than sorry in a foreign county, but all advice is welcome.

#39111 - 05/04/04 09:47 PM Re: Madrid--money belt, safety gadgets?
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I don't know if I'd spend $50 on this stuff! I use a waist passport carrier/wallet, then have ExOfficio clothing with secret zipper stashes. I sometimes keep small amounts of money (under $5) for quick purchases in a pocket. I like to spread my valuables around so if I happen to get hit by a pickpocket, s/he will be unlikely to get everything.

Go with what works for you!

#39112 - 05/04/04 11:16 PM Re: Madrid--money belt, safety gadgets?
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
I, too, agree that $50 for that stuff is too much. Frankly, I would suggest just not carrying around all that much with you at one time. I keep my money in my front pant pocket...let's face it, if someone were to try something, I'd know. The only problem I ever had was losing money...true...I lost the money...my fault...totally.

Don't worry so much. Just be careful.

Sheryl

#39113 - 05/04/04 11:40 PM Re: Madrid--money belt, safety gadgets?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I use a pocket that is supposed to be looped over a belt. Instead of using it that way, I have sewed little metal rings inside of my pants or shorts and I attach this pocket using a tiny carabiner type clip. It holds my passport and cards. If I need them, I can pull the pocket out easily, but it is very difficult for someone else to get. I have also used a baby sock to hold money are credit cards and used a safety pin to make it difficult to steal.

You do not need to spend much, but you do need to be careful. Back pockets, purses and backpacks are problems. The ankle things are not very comfortable or convenient

#39114 - 05/04/04 11:49 PM Re: Madrid--money belt, safety gadgets?
Judy S. Offline

Loc: Southern California
I was in Madrid in April and got along just fine with a zippered carrier I could wear under my clothing. It was just large enough to hold my passport, cash and credit card. I didn't have large pockets in my clothes so often also carried a small shoulderbag purse which I wore across my chest and under one arm but carried nothing in it that I wasn't willing to lose. I had no problems at all. However, I think the best advice is to not to be a target, i.e. be aware of what is happening around you and don't look like a tourist. Also, only carry the amount of cash you think you'll need, one credit or debit card and a copy of your passport. Leave the rest of your cash, credit cards and original passport in the hotel safe.

#39115 - 05/05/04 12:37 AM Re: Madrid--money belt, safety gadgets?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
DO NOT carry your passport around with you. Scan it and carry a color copy. The hassle of losing it is not worth the grief to replace it. In many visits abroad the copy has worked every time except for a Visa card purchase at FNAC in Madrid.

I agree heartily with the "spread the cash around" philosophy. I like to tuck 50 euro notes in the watch-pocket of my jeans.

Put everything in the hotel safe, whether it be behind the desk or in the rooms. Get your cash during the day and stash it in your room before dark.

Don't carry everything around with you all day! Only go out with what you need for that segment of the day. Use the safe at the hotel.

#39116 - 05/05/04 03:00 PM Re: Madrid--money belt, safety gadgets?
sel Offline

BUT remember that if you want to purchase things with a credit card, you will need your passport for identification. I was told that a copy was not acceptable.

#39117 - 05/05/04 03:57 PM Re: Madrid--money belt, safety gadgets?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Any "official" photo id should work fine when making credit card purchases....

So, instead of carrying around your passport, which could put a real damper on your travel plans if lost, bring your drivers´ license. If it gets lost or stolen at least you won´t have to worry about replacing it until you return home.

Prior to getting my Spanish residency, I used my drivers´ license as my photo id and it worked like a charm. wink

#39118 - 05/05/04 08:01 PM Re: Madrid--money belt, safety gadgets?
sel Offline

They would not accept my driver's license in Madrid so I carry my passport and keep secured inside my clothing. frown I must really look suspicious!!!

#39119 - 05/05/04 11:03 PM Re: Madrid--money belt, safety gadgets?
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Maybe I'm the exception, but in all the years I have been to Spain, and for that matter Italy (I've lived in both places...although I prefer Spain and lived there the most), I have never carried my passport around with me. I have only taken my passport with me when I went to the bank to exchange money.

Why would I need to carry it? I don't see the point. I have never been asked for it, even when I have had to deal with the police in the post Franco period or the Guardia Civil during the Franco years while a student at the University.

Sheryl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments