Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#39072 - 04/03/04 02:02 AM My take on 'safety' in Spain travel from 6 to 21 Mar 04
Au Offline

Loc: Singapore
Having read abt the dangers of travelling in Spain, we took the necessary precautions. E.g. husband put small wallet in his jean's front pocket and had his tees and jacket covering over it. I wore a money belt and carried a sling bag covered by my zipped up wind-breaker. We kept a look out for suspicious people and stared at people who stared at us or seemed to be following us. We tried to avoid dark alleys etc but we did have to go thru several as part of our walk.

I am most thankful nothing happened to us. I feel that we have been truly lucky too, especially when the fact was that in places like Toledo and Ronda, there were many remote corners and alleys where if one got robbed then what can one do?

But, I must maintain that we were surprised by the many police patrolling the streets in cities liek Madrid, BCN, and Granada. Perhaps this is largely due to the Bombing on 11 M, but I believe this has always been in practice because already on 6th to 10th March, we already often saw police patrolling the streets in Madrid.

All in all, we felt safe travelling in Spain. It's not any different travelling in Spain than in other countries. We should always practice the same caution and exercise similar common sense.

This is unrelated - but I must Spain is CLEAN! We are surprised to often see diligent cleaners sweeping the streets and clearing the rubbish. We are truly impressed!

#39073 - 04/07/04 01:43 AM Re: My take on 'safety' in Spain travel from 6 to 21 Mar 04
RennerLKO Offline

Loc: Oregon USA
Spent a couple of days/nights photographing the Centro district of Madrid with $3000 worth of camera equip in my hand and on my back. Not one incident, nor did I feel compeled to constantly look over my shoulder.

There was no place in Spain that placed me on high alert.

Now that may change in the busier summer months, I don't know, but I had no qualms about meandering through the heavy crowds in Madrid, the dark streets of Oviedo or the coastal cities with my equipment right out in front for anyone to take a shot at.

As an aside, the customs entry at Barajas in Madrid was...well let's say, rudimentary at best. Easy for the traveller but if I were a Spaniard my opinion would be much more critical.

#39074 - 04/09/04 11:06 PM Re: My take on 'safety' in Spain travel from 6 to 21 Mar 04
PFitz Offline

Loc: north carolina
i have to agree with Renner--I walked around sometimes with my digital camera in my hand and never felt that compelled to lock it up in a bag under my jacket. I mean, obviously the common sense precautions are necessary IE don't walk around with your wallet hanging open or your purse open. However i was there in January & February and tourism was not at its highest...i'm not sure if summer would be any different...
PFitz

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments