Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 20 21 >
Topic Options
#38859 - 03/11/04 04:19 PM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
Latest casualty figures are 192 dead and 1427 injured. The police will not be releasing a list of those killed in this morning's attacks pending identification and notification of next of kin. I have heard that about 80 of the victims have been identified through their DNI or resident cards. News stations are reporting that there are about 70 doctors working at the temporary morgue at IFEMA to identify remains. Families are being allowed to identify remains when there has been a match with documentation. They have done a good job of keeping the area private and providing counseling and support for the families.

For anyone worried about U.S. citizens in Spain, so far there has been no confirmation of any deaths and information of four U.S. citizens who were injured in the attacks, but were treated and released from the Spanish hospitals. The Spanish reaction to the attacks has been quite impressive. Rescue workers were on the scene very quickly and the transportation of the injured to the hospitals given the number of casualties was very efficient. The last arrivals were around 2:30pm. The hospitals have had an abundance of volunteers and registration of the the injured being seen actually helped get the preliminary list of on to the Interior Ministry's website by late afternoon.

FYI, my family an I are all fine.

#38860 - 03/11/04 04:21 PM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
NYCritter Offline

Loc: New York, USA
I have no words.......but my heart goes out to everyone and their families.
Those of us from New York feel your pain to the core. Stand strong and know our prayers are with you all.
For those of you who are questioning whether to travel to Madrid or not. Don't stop. I almost cancelled my trip to Italy scheduled for right after 9/11. I am so glad I did not, and went in spite of my fears. It was so worth it!! Ironically, my trip to Spain is scheduled for May. So I understand your trepidation. I arrive the day of the Royal Wedding. So.....
Blessings to all.

#38861 - 03/11/04 04:26 PM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
kelar419
If you haven't already seen the information, one train was comining in from Guadalajara en route to Chamartin, making it's stop in Atocha. The other two originated in Acala de Henares. All three were on the Cercanias 2 line. I read this on www.elmundo.es. Hit the sigue after the blurb.

#38862 - 03/11/04 04:58 PM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
This is horrible, just horrible. I remeber my trip to Madrid two years ago, the freindly people I met while waiting for a train at Atocha. This is breaking my heart. Prayers and God's Love to all in Spain at this dark hour.

An Arabic langaugae newspaper in London recieved a fax claiming responsiblity for this act by al Queda. It stated that this was "settling old scores with Spain". Remember bin Laden's video released after the start of the Afgahnistan war in November of 2001? "We will never forget the fate of al-Andalus" is what he said at the very begining. 1492 may as well have been last week to that deranged and homicidal gang of criminals. May justice find whoever is responsible, in this life or the next.

As Spain has stood by America during its trials, know that America stands with you. Viva Espana!.

#38863 - 03/11/04 05:01 PM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
thanks for the update on the trains and lists of passengers. I finally got through to them about an hour or two ago. They are fine. He came in on a cercania from san eugenia or something and was already clear of the Atocha area at the time that it happened.

#38864 - 03/11/04 05:08 PM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
leahregan Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
My husband and I love Spain, particularly Madrid. We've been to Madrid several times and feel very close to the city and its people. Seeing such a horrible act committed upon such lovely people makes my heart ache.

To anyone who is planning a trip to Spain, please do not let this stop you from experiencing one of the most amazing places and people on the planet.

#38865 - 03/11/04 05:24 PM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Just wondering...is there any special significance to the 11th day of the month for possible terrorist groups? I just noticed that this is 3/11 (or 11/3 in Europe) and of course we all know about 9/11 (11/9).

This is just heartbreaking--to my friends in Spain, please know that you have the love and support of so many for whom Madrid is a truly enchanted place. The magic of Spain and its people is far stronger than these hateful acts.

#38866 - 03/11/04 06:11 PM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
thetoro Offline

Loc: Madrid
Any body knows how many days are between 11-S-01 and 11-M-04? there are 911days, 9-11 (september eleven)
I'm lucky my father took the train 30 mins later.

#38867 - 03/11/04 06:37 PM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
Torero Offline

Loc: Iowa
What a tragic day. I rode the cercanias to class in Madrid every day from Getafe while I was living in Spain. It was hard for me to get through the day as I kept thinking of the profound sadness happening in my favorite city in the world. As a Spanish teacher, it was difficult to find the words to explain what was going on to my students. My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Madrid and all of Spain as the global struggle with terrorism extends to their doorstep.

#38868 - 03/11/04 06:49 PM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
Corazon Flamenco Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida USA
Para todo el pueblo de España la mas profunda condolencia de todos sus amigos norteamericanos. Los acompañamos en su profundo dolor. Que Dios bendiga y proteja a nuestros hermanos Españoles. Y un fuerte abrazo de una amiga de Miami. To my American friends, I plan to travel to Spain next month and do not intend on cancelling my trip because of today's attack. If 9/11 taught us anything is that we can't coward and hide in our homes because that's exactly what the terrorist/murderers want. Go to Spain and enjoy that wonderful country and its wonderful people.

Page 4 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 20 21 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1599 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments