Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#38780 - 12/27/03 06:08 AM Re: Solo Travel
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Wow! I guess I need to 'take a bow.'

Not too long ago I was on a Talgo from Madrid's Chamartin station to Santiago. I had bought a bocadillo de chorizo and a bottle of wine at the shop in the station. I offered a copita to the man in the seat across from me, apologizing for the quality of the wine; and told him I liked the wines of Galicia, especially the Albarinho. He declined my offer.

Then it turns out that he is a wine merchant. From Ourense all the way to Tui (i.e., paralleling the Minho river valley) he explained how the quality of the wines got better: first the Ribeiro's then the Albarinho's and finally the Rosal's. By the time we got to Tui, all the people in nearby seats had gathered around to listen to these words of wisdom. Live a little; learn a little!

#38781 - 01/08/04 01:57 PM Re: Solo Travel
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
Have you considered a Contiki Tour of Spain. I took one of these groups out in Madrid once and I liked it, young people, good manners, and some of them good looking too!!

Andrés

#38782 - 03/17/04 12:56 AM Re: Solo Travel
der_geograf Offline

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Jake, I hope your trip goes well (if you haven't been already), and I hope that you had a great time (if you have).

I went with a friend of mine from Germany, and I have to say, I will go to Madrid next time absolutely and totally alone. I was the only one who could speak Spanish, and it was tiring because his English is good but not excellent, so I had to translate conversations from Spanish to German for him a lot of the time (My German is not 100% either). It was an excellent practice in translation, but other than that, the disagreements about where to go, what to do, etc. got VERY tiring. The result: I left Spain not getting to see some of the things that I really wanted to see. (Looking back, I could have gone anyway.)

So I hope you will have fun alone, and please tell your experiences when you get back!!

#38783 - 04/12/04 02:06 PM Re: Solo Travel
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Jake;

I say, "Go solo!" I went for a summer, and ended up returning and living here for over 3 years, AND met my wife here! Needless to say, I don't travel solo anymore. wink Risk a little, gain a lot. Spain is not the USA, and the people in Europe generally are more open and friendly (I have traveled extensively in the US too). You'll love it. I suggest you travel super light. Don't take ANYTHING you won't absolutely need all the time. You'll thank me for this advice. Stay in 1 star hostals, you'll save money and meet the most interesting people waiting in the line for the shower. Hang with the locals, learn as much Spanish as you can before you get here, and when you are here, everyone will help you improve it. They will be impressed that you are trying. I always used to go up to the most beautiful señorita I could find and ask for the time, even if there was a big clock right behind her! Try to hook up with a Spanish girlfriend! Now THAT'S the way to "get to know Spain!" My wife jokes that I learned my Spanish "¡cuerpo a cuerpo!" It is definitely the best way.

#38784 - 04/12/04 04:50 PM Re: Solo Travel
Stevie Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Jake:

By now perhaps you have already embarked upon your Spanish adventure...I am a woman who has just returned from a month in Madrid and Andalucia and I travelled alone for the first time. I must tell you I had the time of my life--being on your own opens you up to meeting people and having experiences you might not have otherwise. Don't get me wrong , there is a moment or two of lonliness, but then you buck up and head for the nearest cafe for a cafe con leche or copa and the next adventure begins. I met many lovely people and am counting the moments until my return...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1513 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments