Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#38697 - 09/25/03 03:44 AM Re: girl alone in Madrid
Indie Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I would love to meet some people, when I´m there. I will only stay for one week, but when Madrid and I will ´"fall in love"... I think I will return later on this year or in the early spring to try to stay there for a longer period.

Thank you for all the respons / advice etc.
I´m looking 4wrd to go there, tengo un poco miedo, I will get over it! wink

Hasta pronto! Indie x x x

#38698 - 09/25/03 04:33 AM Re: girl alone in Madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Chica,

Long time no write!

Yes, I am speaking of dark side streets as well as what we call "portales" in spanish, I looked it up in the dictionary and it said "hallways". It's inside the first door of the building, before you get to the apartment door. EDIT: I think I recall the name now: Lobby.

Many buildings do not have a nigtht porter or a porter at all, and, unfortunately there is the costume that many neighbours open the door to whoever wants to get in without asking or accepting an answer like "cartero comercial", which simply anules any security measure.

Of course, they don't do this at night, but there are other ways to get into the "portal". For example: you get home, and open the "portal" door, you get ir, and after you three or four dangerous-looking northern africans (usually, but whatever nationality) people take adventage and get in along with you.

In this case, most spanish people would be very happy to reach home, and if so, wouldn't care much about what's left behind (like been aware in case these guys robbed somebody else and call the police). The NEXT person getting in the building finds them INSIDE, where people in the crowded streets can't see them.

I once helped a couple of japanese people who had been robbed by these guys. They had mugged them, taken all of their valuables, and even their shoes!

And it was 200 yards from the National COngress building (I think Calle del Prado, NOT Paseo del Prado), where several policemen keep guard with submachineguns. But they didn't have x-rays to see what was happening INSIDE the buiding, and even if they had seen it, I wonder if they could leave their positions, as this could be a trick for somebody to infiltrate the Congrss building.

Many of the records of muggings happen in this street and others close by, and at least one recent death of a greek tourist (female) who opposed resistance to their taking her purse happened just around 100 yards of the "portal" I spoke about. This building hosts private apartments AND one or several hostel(s).

I am not saying Madrid is unsafe. It isn't. At all. It's probably safer than other european cities (although putting up fast), but there are several "black points" that look extremely safe and aren't safe at all under certain circumstances. Just by knowing this, a tourist can avoid much of the possible problems by living elsewhere, going home with a group of friends(one only person more not enough) or taking a careful look at the "portal" before entering (at least).

#38699 - 10/08/03 12:09 PM Re: girl alone in Madrid
Indie Offline

Madrid-trip is approaching!!!! I´ll arrive at 19.45 and I´m thinking about taking a TAXI instead of the Metro.

Guess that´s safer... although I´m concerned about the honesty of the taxi-driver! ???

#38700 - 10/09/03 06:39 AM Re: girl alone in Madrid
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
frown What about the barmen and waiters? When are you going to wonder what nasty things they are likely to do too?

#38701 - 10/09/03 07:37 AM Re: girl alone in Madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think she means honesty in fares, and it is no foolish think, because many members have complained before. There are honest taxi drivers and there are others that are not.

#38702 - 10/11/03 09:49 AM Re: girl alone in Madrid
Indie Offline

That´s right Ignacio! I mean the fares.

Oh well... still doubting.

#38703 - 11/10/03 09:52 AM Re: girl alone in Madrid
Indie Offline

being alone outhere wasn't scary at all!

#38704 - 11/11/03 03:16 AM Re: girl alone in Madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's why I feel so uncomfortable when speaking of some dangerous streets in Central Madrid. They are crowded, are funny, ..., they look safe, and they are... for most of the time.

In the wee hours, in some streets' dark halls and alleys, however, among the sorrounding people and cheers, several people a year are mugged, stabbed, and even killed. You can see this in the newspapers ... if you are lucky.

I think I am no longer advicing care, because I look like an idiot to those who were lucky enough, and my comments won't help those unfortunate enough, so, it's a waste of time.

smile

#38705 - 11/13/03 05:07 AM Re: girl alone in Madrid
Indie Offline

Ignacio, it's good not be positive, çause danger is everywhere!

Guess the places I've been were crowded the whole day long. The only thing I needed to take care of were the pickpockets.

#38706 - 11/16/03 11:00 AM Re: girl alone in Madrid
Flymistr Offline

Loc: Atlanta
Indie,
What did you think of Enforex? I am currently studying there and I am curious how you liked the school and the accomodation?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2671 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments