Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#38666 - 10/04/03 08:25 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
I've said it before, but I'll say it again. . . I've lived in Madrid and environs for over 3 years, and it is SAFE SAFE SAFE! Yes, there are pickpockets, but they generally don't hurt people, even though there are a few exceptions, naturally. BUT I have witnessed incredible things here, like a whole block of neighbors shouting at a thief who was ripping off a Japanese tourist, and then everyone went down to help him! Or the two people who tried to trip the thief who stole my wallet as I chased him through the Metro. Or ditto when I saw a man running with a Chinese tourist shouting behind him that the runner was a thief. The list could go on and on. Madrid has a lot of really nice people.

There are some things which drive me crazy about life here (inconsiderate, unsafe, speeding drivers, for example, and the government bureaucracy. . .), but I LOVE living here, and hate the thought of having to return to the USA. For my part, I'll take Madrid any day to almost anywhere else!

¡Vivá Madrid!

#38667 - 10/15/03 05:39 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
eduardo Offline

Loc: Madrid
I still love Madrid and Spain in general, but I have to say that this has also been the place where my family and I have been most affected by crime in the shortest period of time.

My parents were here for a three-week visit (that also included about ten days in Paris and Italy). We went to Barcelona this last weekend. At the Barcelona Sants station, coming in from the airport, my senior citizen mother suffered a pickpocket attempt. I had turned away for a second, when I turned back, I saw a blonde caucasian woman (about 35 years old, shoulder length hair in a pony tail, thin, with a light colored jacket draped over her crooked forearm) pressing up against my mother and her handbag. I jumped at the woman, as did my father, and she pulled back. We saw that my mother's handbag had one of the zippers unzipped (luckily, she didn't have anything more valuable than a lipstick in that compartment). Basically, in state of shock, we let the woman go when it looked as if she hadn't gotten anything, and she jumped back on the train as it was pulling out.

A couple of days later, back in Madrid, my parents were at the courtyard in front of the Reina Sofia museum. They dropped their guard for one moment and didn't keep an eye on the non-descript black canvas bag in which they were carrying a video camera, and -- poof!-- it was gone.

Now, of course, they could always have been more careful, but it does say something about the environment here in Spain when one can't even let down one's guard for a single moment.

#38668 - 10/16/03 12:32 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
In his post Eduardo said:
Quote:
luckily, she didn't have anything more valuable than a lipstick in that compartment
My sister lost her make-up bag to a pickpocket on c/ de la Cruz. By the time she replaced the "necessities" it was over $60! That stuff is expensive!

#38669 - 04/10/04 07:36 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
warnerchilcott Offline

Loc: Montgomery, AL, USA
Just back from my first trip to Spain and thankful I found and read many of the messages on the board. Pick pockets are alive and well in Madrid. While boarding the Renfe at Atocha a man brushed by me and then got back on right behind me, kneeling down to "brush off my pants leg" while his accomplice tried to put his hand down my pants pocket!! As soon as it happened I knew what was up because I had read about it hear and gave the man at my feet a shove with my umbrella and a loud yell to stop!!! He and his friend exited the train at the next stop. To top it off, he actually turned to me and said "I'm sorry"!! I couldn't believe it! Anyway, if his friend had managed to get his had in my pocket he would have come away with nothing - I carry my wallet in a zippered breast pocket of my jacket!

#38670 - 04/11/04 09:01 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
In a strange and bizarre way it warms the cockles of my heart that the age old tradition of pickpocketing is alive and well in Madrid.

I know that you are probably saying that I've lost my mind. We have all complained about the civil evils of pickpocketing,, but after the true horror of 11 of March when Madrid bled and saw the true face of evil, pickpocketing was sort of put in perspective. frown

And knowing that they are back is comforting. it's a return to normal times. I hope I make sense, well, I know some of you will understand. frown

#38671 - 04/12/04 12:15 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Warner:

You don't know how good it makes me feel that my post helped you out (I am making the assumption that it was mine, but it really doesn't matter whose post you read, it still makes me feel great!). This bulletin board is really wonderful because it helps people have a better, safer, more enjoyable time in the city closest to heaven.

I have to agree with BookLady, the pickpockets seem quite benign compared with the terrorists, but I also have to remind you that they can steal documents which could be difficult or impossible to replace, or have serious personal or business consequences. I lost, amoung other things, some drawings I had been working on for over two weeks the first time my bag was swiped (at the big Internet Cafe near Puerta del Sol -- I never go there anymore, anyway I am on my own ADSL line now).

Have a great time, be safe, and come again!

#38672 - 04/30/04 12:29 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Nick L Offline

Loc: England, Cambridge
Hi Everyone, for those of you that are going to Madrid for the first time, take good note of comments written here about pickpokets on the metro.

My friend was pickpocketed on the Metro, (the next station along from Atocha)
Again, three big fat people jumped on the train, and once we were all cramped together a young lad pickpocketed my friend.
Note that this scam can only happen if the train is packed!! This group hangs around Atocha because its the nearest Metro stop to Madrids main art gallerys.

Please be aware of this scam, it happends every day!!! If they here you speaking English, or any other language other than Spanish, and wearing backpacks then its obvious you are tourists, and they will be on to you like a shot!!!!!!!!

#38673 - 04/30/04 02:54 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I feel compelled to mention, because I haven't to this point, but it seems I have once again eluded these pickpocketers and I rode the metros constantly during my 2-weeks in Madrid earlier this month.

I never felt "bumped" or "distracted" or anthing. Is my time coming? Have I just been lucky so far? I don't know. But I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened to me yet after having read of the bad luck of so many. What's wrong with me?? confused Aren't I good enough? Aren't I a worthy target? Come on, ladrones! wink

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#38674 - 04/30/04 03:40 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
I have to say the same goes for me, Madridman. I've been ridiculously lucky, since I've never experienced even the smallest brush-up or jostle. I've been to Spain over 10 times (I'm in my mid-twenties) and only rely on the metro for transportation.

However, I do have a great story that might make you optimistic about humanity. I'm not sure how it happened, but I lost my wallet in Florence. Of course, I automatically thought it had been stolen. It was scary because I was traveling alone and had 5 Euros (enough to pay the cab that took me to my hotel in Montecatini Terme from the train station, where I discovered the wallet was missing). Well, I chalked it up to the gypsies or street urchins. Two months later, I got a letter from the U.S. Consulate in Florence. They had found my wallet and wanted me to send 3 Euros in stamps for them to send it to me. And guess what, everything was in it, when it was returned. But the story doesn't end there. One month after I received my wallet, I received a check from the U.S. Treasury for $130 dollars. The equivalent of the euros that were in my wallet when it was lost. Seems like all the hands that held wallet, from the finder, to the Carabinieri, to the Consulate workers, all had honesty as a virtue.

I honestly believe that if you trust people to do the right thing, they will. So stop being afraid of pickpockets, live your life and maybe they won't target you.

#38675 - 04/30/04 04:45 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Great story!! smile

My friends have just returned from their first trip to Spain and they lost a wallet on their last day of the trip. They were in Madrid near the Reina Sofia Art Museum when it happened and discovered it gone when the reached the Prado. They immediately called the banks and someone had already tried to use their ATM card. Fortunately they were able to regroup and still enjoy the Prado and their last day.

They said that the warmth they felt from the people they met like Antonio and his folks at the Hostal Chelo and Stephen Drake-Jones more than made up for the one ugly incident.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2303 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments