Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#38656 - 09/13/03 07:13 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Juana la Loca Offline

Loc: Aurora IL
What I do is I have this very small zip bag, size of a credit card, where I carry my credit card, my id and the money that I will spend that day. That little sip bag has a loop (kond of a key chain loop0 that I attach to the side of my underware, you know if you are wearing a bikini or thong the side strap is very thin, so I just hook it there and I put the little bag on my hip under my pants. It is very easy to reach if I need it and it is always safe. Sometimes in stores is a little embarassing I have to take out my underware strap to take out the little bag, or it shows a little, but after the second time, I just really do not care anymore... It has worked great all over Europe, and I will just have a shopping bag where I have my camera or a sweater.... I look like a local and my money and credit card is safe....

#38657 - 09/15/03 09:27 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Juana,

I pin my money and cards to a similar cloth contraption to my bra. Women my age are always adjusting their bras so it is natural for me to reach in and take out my card. But, Churrocaliente started a thread here about the Wonder Bra that has a zipped pocket, I'm getting one for my next trip.
Saludos,
Carmen

#38658 - 09/20/03 05:17 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
The front pocket deal usually works, BUT. . . I had my wallet stolen by a team working, where else, the Atocha RENFE number one line. The man appeared drunk, dropped some change, and picked it up, then while down around my feet, grabbed my pants legs and while I was trying to bash his head with my fists, his female accomplice snatched my wallet from my front pocket. I am very alert, paranoid, but they managed to get me.

Now I just carry my bus-metro abono id and a little money in it with a copy of my passport. You can't tell I have anything on me. If anyone drops anything near you, or obstantly blocks you LOOK OUT, you are being set up! This happened once to my wife and I as we were passing through the doors to the metro, and I alerted her, and sure enough they tried to get us. I looked directly at one of the men and said "¡Lo intiendo que tu hacer, ladrone!" (I know, my Spanish is terrible!), and he was startled, then they split, very fast.

As for getting from the airport to the city, the best is to have a friend pick you up, the next best is a cab, the next best are the buses on the lower (arrivals) level to Plaza Colon. They are very cheap, have luggage racks, and run frequently. Just be careful on them also! The metro is definitely the last resort, best if you have no, or minimal luggage. Your luggage screams "I'm here, a tourist, so steal my stuff!" Kind of a walking buffet for thieves. Yet another reason for traveling super light.

By the way, if you are coming to Madrid, and need a guide, or help, I will be glad to help, if I am free. Of course a generous tip would be welcome, but I am mainly interested in people having a really great time here, to love it as much as I do, and to be able to see the things they normally would not. After three years plus of living here full-time, I have a pretty good knowledge of the place, especially the cultural scene. I am not a barfly, or party person, but THAT action is not difficult to find here! For flamenco, or art, or theater and such, I have good contacts. I have met some very nice, interesting people doing this, and want to continue to help people land easily here. Post a PM to me or at martin@1stclasspinups.com and I'll see what I can do. If you email me, please put something like EMAIL FROM MADRIDMAN MEMBER in CAPS so I can see it above the spam, otherwise it might get pitched out by accident!

Be safe, have a GREAT time, and come back, soon and often!

#38659 - 09/24/03 02:38 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
DanaD1966 Offline

Loc: Medford, Oregon USA
I have noticed here, as well as in my own research that muggers, pickpockets, gypsies, etc., etc., seem to be a concern in Spain.

I am a female who will be traveling to Madrid in January as a student. I am expecting my school to send someone to meet me, but am concerned that they will be running late, therefore leaving me standing with two months worth of luggage! To what degree are we allowed to "defend" ourselves and our belongings? I may be a small-sized female, but I pack a lot of spunk!

I so appreciated the posted advice on how to carry money, passports, credit cards, etc. I will strictly adhere to them. These were ideas which I knew nothing about, and feel that I may have already been saved from becoming a potential victim.

This is what happens when you live in small-town, USA! Naive and gullible.

Thank you!

#38660 - 09/24/03 06:51 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Martin de Madrid writes:
Quote:
. . . I had my wallet stolen by a team working, where else, the Atocha RENFE number one line. The man appeared drunk, dropped some change, and picked it up, then while down around my feet, grabbed my pants legs and while I was trying to bash his head with my fists, his female accomplice snatched my wallet from my front pocket...
That sounds like the same team I saw working that same Metro line 2-years ago. Business must be very good for them! The male, who appeared drunk or under the influence of drugs, didn't look like a gypsy. He was tall, fair complexion and pretty heavy. As I said on an earlier post: I saw them when I was going to Atocha Renfe to pick up my AVE tix and reservations and again on the return trip on the same metro line.

#38661 - 09/24/03 09:56 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Miguelito Offline

Hello Dana,
if you come with so many lugagge and they don't go to look for you, you'll probably won't have any other option than taking a taxi if you know where you have to go, because going in the metro with so many things could be uncomfortable.
In the airport there's a lot of security and there's no problem as long as you keep an eye on your belongings, so you can wait there as much as you want.
Anyway I have never hear of people robbing the lugagge to a person while keeping an eye on it, thieves normally look for wallets, money, things with a small size and a big value.......

#38662 - 09/24/03 10:13 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Indie Offline

Loc: Netherlands
getting doubts about going

#38663 - 09/24/03 02:34 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
tora Offline

Indie, if you're Dutch you no doubt have been to Amsterdam's Red Light district - it has a bad rep but it's very seldom anything happens there. Unless, of course, you walk around on your own on the side streets where the crack heads gather at 5-6 in the morning (yes, I've done that and I'm not doing it again, even though nothing happened). Madrid is oh so much less scary than Red Light - there are also a few streets that are not so nice but that's it.
And as far as pickpockets go, you have one on every tram in Amsterdam - my mum lost her wallet the day before Christmas last year, great gift Santa! But that's the way big cities work. The difference is that you know your own city, you know the language. But you can get to know Madrid and Spanish and find out that it's not worse than anywhere else.
Sorry, I'm getting emotional here - I sometimes feel that people think of Madrid like some kind of nest of thieves and pick pockets. I think it's the friendliest capital in Europe, it wins this competition hands down.

#38664 - 09/24/03 03:42 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
redline Offline

Loc: Seattle
While in Madrid I used the Metro with a backpack on and never had any problem at all. Before I left for Spain I purchased a leather wrist wallet like the one Sheryl Crow wears. It looks good like leather wrist jewelry and everything was safe. My husband tried to pull it off my wrist and almost pulled my arm out of its socket instead. I bought this wrist wallet at wilma world wink

#38665 - 10/01/03 03:54 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
Warning: there are two professional pick-pocketers, 12 years old gypy girls working in the Plaza Mayor area. They try to sell you flowers with one hand while they take charge of your bag contents with the other, and they are good, watch out.

Andrés

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1992 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments