Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#38646 - 08/31/03 12:00 PM Madrid pickpockets again!
nj Offline

Loc: Northern ireland
Just back from a wonderful trip to Spain,taking in Madrid, Seville and Orgiva.Just thought I would share with you a scam that a team is working on the Madrid metro.The team appeared to be from South America and heres how it works.Man and fat woman get on the metro at different stops,fat woman jams herself between the doors and you ,when door opens ,no amount of "perdons" move her out of the way. Man working with the woman helpfully tells the woman to move as you try to squeeze passed her as he helps himself to your wallet.Luckily they didn't get anything as I managed to get my credit cards cancelled in time,but the police here seem powerless to stop these people,and with a welcome like this to Spain, it must be harming the tourist industry.

#38647 - 09/01/03 05:41 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Quote:
... a scam that a team is working on the Madrid metro ... Man and fat woman get on the metro at different stops,fat woman jams herself between the doors and you ,when door opens ,no amount of "perdons" move her out of the way. Man working with the woman helpfully tells the woman to move as you try to squeeze passed her as he helps himself to your wallet ... the police here seem powerless to stop these people ...
An interesting scam, indeed, but not new. They usually work the same Metro line - one that serves Atocha Renfe seems to be their favorite. Once, I saw a pair on the train as I was going to Atocha to get our AVE tickets for the following morning and I saw the same pair on the way back. Maybe they were stalking me: Trying for an opportune time to lift my wallet. They didn't!

When you see something or someone unusual on the Metro, look around. You may be able to spot the partner. Gypsies almost always work in pairs. And Gypsies don't always look like gypsies.

#38648 - 09/01/03 09:39 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
el viajero Offline

Sorry to hear about your bad experience on the Metro! The solution I've found is I simply don't carry a wallet anymore, or more than about 50 euros at a time. People have to reach pretty deep and noticeably into your pockets to grab individual bills.

#38649 - 09/01/03 10:12 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I've never been a victim (nor witness) of any sort of crime in Madrid. Because of all the stories you hear about pickpocketing, a couple years ago I started carrying a kind of change purse or zip-top wallet made of cloth (actually it's colorful, sewn thread bought in Perú) which I keep in my front pocket. After a few weeks of doing that in Spain and then coming home I found it was not only more safe but MUCH more comfortable in this way too. No more "rump-bump". hehehe... wink Some "machistas" say/tease it's not very masculine to carry this kind of thing in my front pocket but I don't care.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#38650 - 09/01/03 02:30 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
nj Offline

Loc: Northern ireland
Thanks for the support guys.My solution was to buy a wallet at El Corte Ingles,this has a chain on it that hooks on to your belt loop. I used this for the rest of my stay in Spain-including Sunday morning at the Rastro and had no problems!Seriously though I wouldn't recommend struggling through the metro with a lot of luggage-you're just too much of a target.On a more positive note it didn't spoil our Holiday-we had a great time!

My wife has her own novel solution - she has a small bum bag type purse that has a really strong velcro loop which she wears over her shoulder and attaches it to her bra strap - I'd dare any thief or pickpocket to try and snatch that!!But if you do see a deranged Irish woman running through the Metro topless you'll know what has happened wink

#38651 - 09/02/03 01:05 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
David_dup1 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I second (or is it third?) the idea of not carrying a wallet in a strange city. Usually I can carry an ID and credit card in a back pocket that buttons, and just the money I think I need in a front pocket. Sometimes I may also carry a pouch that loops on my belt...good for carrying my passport.

#38652 - 09/03/03 06:53 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
nj writes:
Quote:
My wife has her own novel solution ... if you do see a deranged Irish woman running through the Metro topless you'll know what has happened
Would she be chasing a bewildered-looking Gypsy? rolleyes

You have to qualify that! It can't be following a UK win over (or loss to) Spain in World Cup competition - the main difference here being: the ladies are carrying their own bras as they race topless thru the Metro. eek

I guess a Manchester United or Arsenal win over Réal Madrid would produce similar actions.
BTW
How can one tell a deranged Irish woman from all those other women running topless thru Madrid's Metro? rolleyes

#38653 - 09/03/03 07:56 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
A friend of mine has a daughter studying in Spain now, and she claims the police have worked something out with the pickpockets: if they leave the purses and wallets in some special location, minus the money....but credit cards and such intact...the police just don't worry about chasing anyone. It sounds too crazy to be true...along the lines of an urban legend...but sure enough, all her credit cards and her purse (recently ripped off her) have been returned. Come on, those of you in Spain, is this true? What's the word on the street?

#38654 - 09/04/03 03:23 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, as for the Credit Cards, I couldn't tell, but documents and wallets have always appeared thrown or hidden. They are not so worthy, and they are a proof against them.

When I worked installing wires at the streets, twenty years ago, I once found a place, in a hole under a small bridge, where there were about 20/30 purses and wallets and their documents inside.

I don't think the have made an agreement or anything, but it is probable that police has decided to act like that, since they are overwhemed by these crimes with the number of policemen working on this, and the laws we have. Then, they may have made the rumour spread.

I think it's fine. Of course, an agreement between them would be unthinkable, but this wouldn't be exactly that, and, since police never recovers the money and few times the other items in 95% of the cases at least, it would bepragmatic, because it would avoid the bad use of credit cards (although most time we realize that and cancel them in time) and we get our documents and wallet/purse back, and they are valuable for us!

#38655 - 09/04/03 10:32 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Espe3 Offline

La maestra- Highly doubtful. And since whatever ID's were in there or the type of Credit cards were obviously foreign, it could be that they didn't bother- most credit card companies are quick to call if they see spending in a foregin country and more if its being used on a kind of spree- so they're sure to get caught early- whatever the reason- it was lucky she got her credit cards back- if I were her I'd still call to see if they did use them once or twice (enough to get something- but not to set off the red flags to the credit card company!)

My purse got lifted once (literally, a friend and I were taking turns carrying the purse as her stuff was in it also) and she set it down, when she turned around, it was gone. We found it the next day- abandoned, with my ID's ( I don't go out at night with my credit cards) my purse itself, and the kleenex I had in it- they took my cash (about 3mil pts when it happened) my used lipstick (which I never understood- although it was a killer color!) and a lighter I carry around- but it was good to get the ID's back- as I don't like to carry my passport around, but usually go with just my Drivers License and student ID.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1809 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments