Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#38591 - 05/20/03 06:16 AM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I must say at this point something that has not been said before in any threat (I have realized that it is not that obvious).

If you ever have any problem in Madrid... ask a native!!! 20% of us speak english, a greater percentage can understand english, and almost everyone will be able to communicate with you by signs. Almost any spaniard would be glad to help you (and to speak english usually), specially if you are in trouble.

I have sometimes seen tourists to find something in a map, to find the way to go somewhere by subway, trying to say something in a restaurant when the waiter could not speak english, and so on. I have never done nothing because I thought they would be unconfident and would reject any help.

We like to have tourists! (in general hehehe) And we are used to it (50 million tourists come here every year).

But please, try to ask to someone who seems to speak english... this makes me remember an anechdote. My grandfather (who spoke english perfectly) saw an english couple asking a worker (who was digging a trench in a street) in a very polite and forced english: "Excuse me, would you mind to tell us how to go wherever?"

The worker didn't understand a word, but he thought he had, so he pointed somewhere and tried to explain how to reach there.

My grandfather told me why he didn't said nothing to them "If they were stupid enough to ask a worker and thing he had to speak english they deserve loosing the time that takes to reach the wrong place". laugh

Ask people who are more likely to speak english (or who are used to deal with tourists): Policemen, tour guides, hotel clerks, university students,...

Fernando

#38592 - 05/24/03 05:29 PM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Madrid is great, that is why I moved here! Have fun! A little paranoia is not a bad thing, but more than that is foolish and will ruin your trip. The best advice is to do what you can to learn Spanish, even a little. The locals are all closet language professors and will love to help you with your Spanish. Occasionally someone might be a jerk, but the vast majority are really wonderful, helpful, nice people. Not bad for a city of 5 million. . . Watch out, you might just end up falling in love with the place and living here permanently.

#38593 - 06/01/03 11:06 AM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
Martin is quite right when he says that a LITTLE paranoia is not a bad thing i.e. it pays to be aware of what's going on around you. I've been to Madrid a few times now and I feel that in spite of the dire warnings given to me by madrilenos, it's a safe enough place. Also, I cannot think of a nation of people more understanding and patient with foreigners learning their language than the Spanish:))

#38594 - 06/04/03 01:39 PM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
quime Offline

Loc: panama
well equinepro, you must be back in your hometown by now...can you tell us if you still in just one piece laugh
we can not wait to heard about your esperiences!!!

#38595 - 06/04/03 04:27 PM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Like others have alluded, a little paranoia is not a bad thing. Just as long as you don't equate paranoia with fear, because there's less chance of you being accosted and severely injured or killed on Madrid's streets, then it would be here in the U.S., in our major cities.

Fear should never enter the picture, because fear is what causes us to stay home, locked safely behind our doors. Obviously that's no way to live, and we have to weigh the potentiality of danger, and make life decisions that are best for us. Obviously, that should never include becoming a recluse.

Wolf

#38596 - 06/04/03 05:39 PM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
My little almost-6-year-old said something along those lines today...we were discussing the movie "Finding Nemo," in which the main characters are an overprotective daddy fish and his adventurous son. She said:

"The daddy fish shouldn't have said to baby Nemo, 'I'll never let anything happen to you;' he should have said, 'I'll always do my best to protect you.' Otherwise the little fish would never learn or have adventures or any fun."

From the mouths of babes....

#38597 - 06/05/03 11:06 AM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
carmendeespana Offline

Loc: Madrid
Madrid is a really safe city. Much more than other cities, with the statistics on your hand.

Don't worry. Just worry a bit about your wallet when you are walking in the streets, that will be the most danger you could run into. smile

I've been living in Madrid for my whole life, staying late, parking my car in dark streets at 6 in the morning... and nothing have happened to me.

Relax and enjoy! And tell us how it went!

#38598 - 06/06/03 12:17 AM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
Amanda Panda Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, FL USA
I spent a month in Madrid last summer, and I never had a problem, nor felt that I had a reason to worry much about my safety or my belongings. I had a great time, and did not lose a thing. I have also spent a lot of time in New York City, I personally have never been mugged in New York, but I have witnessed other people being mugged. If you have ever braved the streets of Manhatten, you know what I am talking about. You will be fine I am sure, just be aware of who and what is around you like you should be everywhere you go. I felt much safer in Madrid than I ever have in NYC
Good luck, don't stress yourself out
you will have an awesome time
Amanda

#38599 - 06/11/03 09:42 PM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
thijs Offline

Just back from BCN and had some of the same fears you're having (as some had suggested, I took an ounce of paranoia along, but nothing more than that). No problems to report and no threatening situations.

Just remember - you usually hear about the bad experiences more than the good ones! Be streetwise, but don't live your life around it...

#38600 - 06/13/03 03:49 PM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
thjis,

Good point. We hear about the bad experiences, but for each one of those, there are hundreds, maybe thousands of great experiences, with absolutely no problems. Those are the experiences we should cultivate.

Wolf

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments