Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#38404 - 03/18/03 04:43 PM Madrid's Puerta Del Sol safety?
dangrmous Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA
We're arriving on Friday and spending the first night in the Puerta Del Sol area. How's this for safety? All I'm seeing about Madrid is how everyone gets robbed. Maybe I should just take my vacation in the South Bronx...

What are the safest areas to stay in? We may change hotels...

#38405 - 03/18/03 04:55 PM Re: Madrid's Puerta Del Sol safety?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I just returned. I am a single female who was traveling alone. It was safe enough. Antonio's mom at Hostal Chelo advised me NOT to carry a purse. I used my pockets for stuff and never felt threatened. I was never out past 11:00 though.

I did get in the middle of a big demonstation which was uncomfortable. If they are demonstating, just take the side streets and visit other parts of the city. Don't miss the bakery which is on the opposite side from the Tio Pepe sign. It has tiny pasteles, little cream puffs, which I would kill for!!!! The Mallorquin is the name or almost the name!!!

#38406 - 03/18/03 04:59 PM Re: Madrid's Puerta Del Sol safety?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi dangrmous! Welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board!!! smile

There's an excellent chance that absolutely nothing will happen to you during your stay in Madrid. The muggings/pickpocketings/purse-snatchings that are stated here and on other message boards DO HAPPEN - this is a fact - but they are by no means the norm.

It's been a couple years now but I OFTEN walked from the EasyEverything Internet Café on Calle Montera above Puerta del Sol through SOL after midnight with few people around and was never approached. Maybe next month's trip will change my perspective forever if something should happen but I don't expect it.

There are people milling about in Puerta del Sol until late late at night, particularly on weekends, and there's a lower chance that something will happen to you. Just be smart and don't carry your wallet in your back pocket, don't carry a purse unless necessary, and take with you only enough to spend for the evening out.

Have a GREAT time! After the surviving your first night in SOL I'm sure you'll find it's not such a scary place afterall. wink ENJOY!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#38407 - 03/18/03 05:06 PM Re: Madrid's Puerta Del Sol safety?
sel Offline

My Spanish friends told me to avoid Calle Montera last summer with my kids because of all the prostitutes. I just had to take a peak this trip. laugh I walked it once after dark just to see and it was entertaining!! I never felt threatened, but I did get scolded by my friends when I fessed up to my adventure!!

#38408 - 03/18/03 05:27 PM Re: Madrid's Puerta Del Sol safety?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
sel, I walked by/down Calle Montera in Madrid a dozen times before someone pointed out to me that "those women" were prostitutes. They didn't look like any prostitutes I'd ever seen in the 'American' movies and they never said a word to me so their presence were never bothersome.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#38409 - 03/18/03 05:58 PM Re: Madrid's Puerta Del Sol safety?
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
The whole pickpocket/mugging thing is blown way out of proportion because it is something people rightly have a concern (fear) about. The posts about them, including several of mine, are reminders that ANY large metropolitian area is potentially a problem, ANYWHERE, and really, Madrid is, in my opinion, one of the safest large cities I have ever lived in, including in the USA. It is usually the people who ignore common sense and collective wisdom warnings who get burned. If you knew how many nights, er, early and not-so-early mornings (like until 7 or 8am) I was out, drunk on my rear after a long night partying in downtown (Sol/Plaza Major), stumbling back to my hostal without anything happening to me, or if you saw every night little children playing without supervision at 11 pm or midnight in deserted plazas, perfectly safe, you would understand just how safe the "big nasty city" really is. Actually it is in the metro, and in crowds that the pickpockets like for cover, and you are more likely to be hit during the rush hour than any other time! Women usually walk in groups of two or more, but that is as much for company as security. Madrid is an absolutely wonderful place to party, and few do it better.

#38410 - 03/18/03 07:29 PM Re: Madrid's Puerta Del Sol safety?
sel Offline

MM, I saw about 8 very attractive ladies during my stroll who were clearly working. They were inviting guys with cute little phrases and were without doubt dressed for their profession. It WAS just like in the movies!!! My friends will be kidding me for life about my little stroll down Calle Montera!!! laugh

Maybe you better take the stroll once again in April!!! Just watch out for the "Hey,Guapo, ....." eek

#38411 - 03/19/03 01:18 AM Re: Madrid's Puerta Del Sol safety?
dangrmous Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA
Thanx for all the great info folks! I think there was a lot of hype and I fell for it... I look greatly foreward to arriving. smile

#38412 - 03/29/03 12:59 PM Re: Madrid's Puerta Del Sol safety?
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
With regards to EasyEverything Internet Cafe: I would steer clear of this place. It is a HUGE magnet for thieves, I was burned once there myself and have never been back. There are numerous, smaller and safer Internet Cafés all around Madrid, and they have regular monitors, not those awful flat screens which tear out your eyes, and no space for anything like EE. The place was named EasyEverything because it is so EASY for EVERYTHING you have to be swiped!

My personal choice is the Internet Café run by my friend Diego in the building by the Metro Plaza España on Grand Via on the north-east corner of the intersection (caddy-corner from the plaza), on the 6th floor (?), in the back. It is small (about 15-20 computers) has phones, and the staff are very nice, and above all it is safe.

By the way I met my wife in his place (when it was across from McGreasy's on Puerta del Sol).
wink

EE is a total tourist/thief hangout and besides is owned by some hyper-wealthy folks. Do the humble people a favor and patronize a café owned by the person sitting behind the desk!

#38413 - 04/02/03 04:33 PM Re: Madrid's Puerta Del Sol safety?
DaisyE Offline

Loc: Madrid
Well even though I regard Sol as a safe place in the term "NObody is going to kill me". I still think there is a lot of thives in that area. I had the luck of trying them and have spottet the same people over and over againe in SOL. It ruins the day, and for some the holiday to have to use a day on contacting police and get reports for insurance and maybe also have to get new papers.
SO I WOULD BE CAREFULL IN SOL with the things you would like to keep safe.
Else I consider Madrid as reasonable safe
DaisyE

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments