Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#38374 - 03/19/03 03:15 PM Re: Madrid: Mugged Near Plaza de Colon in Broad Daylight!
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Well Madridman. You can tell the lady from London that what she said is about right. When I went to the police after losing some money, the very polite and young man at the commissary complained about the bureaucracy, the way a policeman over here probably would. He surely never gave me the impression that anything would be done about the crime.
Since there doesn't seem to be any concern about the crime problem, unfortunately I know what the solution is. I guess I'm going to have to visit other places in the world. Too bad.

#38375 - 03/24/03 05:15 PM Re: Madrid: Mugged Near Plaza de Colon in Broad Daylight!
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
The petty (and not so petty) crimes in Madrid, especially the pickpockets are probably no worse than, say, Rome, or any other large European city. You are correct about the indifference of the police, but at the same time, I have seen numerous times police hauling down the sidewalk, hot on the trail of a purse-snatcher, and they aren't gentle when they catch them, either! They hate it just as much as anyone else, but are overwhelmed, and that is probably very frusterating. Madrid depends a great deal on tourism, as does all of Spain, and part of that money also attracts thieves. Forewarned is forearmed, and you can just about count on getting burned. I am extremely careful, have black belts in two martial arts styles, studied over 30 years, was a US Marine and Sailor, and have been burned three times! It happens.

Back up your passport, documents, address book, with photocopies; carry just a little money in your pockets and wallet, keep them in your front pocket with your hand on them at all times; lock your backpack/daypack with travel padlocks and sling your daypack or purse securely under your arm, not on your back. Do not lose sight of your stuff, attach it physically to your person while waiting, at the internet café, etc. and realize thieves will cut the bag to get into it!

As far as muggings, they are planned, and executed by professionals (usually more than one person). Ditto for pickpockets. You don't have good odds, they do. Better to not resist and hope to get off without being knifed. Choking is serious -- any time you pass out it is best to check with a doctor. A little paranoia is a good thing, but don't let it ruin your trip. There is less really violent crime here than in the US, (fewer guns, and more gun-control), so on whole I think I'll take Madrid any day over LA or NYC or any other large US city. At least here the locals will help you after the attack!

#38376 - 04/02/03 04:43 PM Re: Madrid: Mugged Near Plaza de Colon in Broad Daylight!
DaisyE Offline

Loc: Madrid
Dear Martin
I think you are to overbearing on the safety issues surrounding Madrid centre. I hope you are not the next to be pickpocked.
I really do not thin it help to compare with US cities at all.
BUT try it and we will se what you then think.......

PS It sound like you are defending the pickpockets. AND I DO NOT LIKE IT
DaisyE

#38377 - 04/02/03 10:08 PM Re: Madrid: Mugged Near Plaza de Colon in Broad Daylight!
Melinda328 Offline

Loc: Madrid
As a New Yorker I will say that we are VERY helpful to people who have been mugged or attacked. I've been in the situation to help tourists a number of times since I used to work in a Times Square hotel gift shop. Despite the stereotypes of our city, we're very friendly people and always help out people who ask us. Please don't make stereotypes about New Yorkers not caring just because we have more violent crime. A number of us are New Yorkers and I think any one of us would help out a person in need if we ran across them on the street.

Melinda

#38378 - 04/03/03 03:01 AM Re: Madrid: Mugged Near Plaza de Colon in Broad Daylight!
papi Offline

Loc: LONDRES!!!!
yes, thats terribkle to hear such stories, i myself was mugged, ...twice for my cell phone on c/ fuencarral/ madrid .even though its a bad thing to happen to anyone....i would tell anyone ...if this happens to you, its better to give it up what they are after than put up a struggle....material things can be replaced.......its not worth getting injured over such things..!

confused :o

#38379 - 04/03/03 12:52 PM Re: Madrid: Mugged Near Plaza de Colon in Broad Daylight!
el viajero Offline

Quote:
i myself was mugged, ...twice for my cell phone on c/ fuencarral/ madrid.
I'm glad you weren't hurt physically, Papi, but it's horrible to be mugged.

Considering how much time I'll be spending on Fuencarral, your experience is a bit alarming to hear. Out of curiosity, were you using the phone at the time, or did they see the outline of it through your clothes? What time of day or night did it happen? I'm always wary about walking in that area, but now I'll try to be extra vigilant.

#38380 - 04/03/03 03:07 PM Re: Madrid: Mugged Near Plaza de Colon in Broad Daylight!
erica Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Mo
Hi, I just have to add that everytime I've been in NY NY, I've been so totally impressed by how helpful and friendly NYers are!! here in midwest St. Louis - the murder capital of the US, people are not very friendly, I think they're too scared..actually in the inner-city, where I live, it's rather more friendly...scarier too with all the gunshots and sirens at night etc.

the other night I saw the movie "City of Gods" which is about gang wars in Brazil, then I came home and read about all the pick-pocket scams in Spain, add to that, the only time I was ever robbed was at a cafe in Barcelona, (the map over the purse trick) I really started freaking out about my soon to be trip to Madrid (my first solo trip - I've always had at least one traveling companion)...but I'm encouraged by hearing that the crime is usually non-violent...and I don't want to live my life being afraid, so here I go...

I'm glad to hear that those of you who have been accosted are physically alright, my sympathies!!

coao!
erica

#38381 - 04/04/03 03:29 AM Re: Madrid: Mugged Near Plaza de Colon in Broad Daylight!
papi Offline

Loc: LONDRES!!!!
no both times i was using the phone at the time!
mostly they just sneak up on u from behind and snatch it....they were both around 1am.... dont be alarmed ...tyhe street / zona is great ..its just a shame a small amount of hoodrats have to spoil it for others....

have a great trip! :p

#38382 - 04/26/03 01:03 PM Re: Madrid: Mugged Near Plaza de Colon in Broad Daylight!
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I can't help wondering. And I have no political ax to grind. But I've been visiting Spain since 1956 and through the Franco era when such events were extremely rare. I observed that a police state is invariably tough on crime and criminals--as was Franco's. But now that Spaniards have seen that democracy means only that the citizen can vote--it carries no guarantees of security or prosperity--I have to wonder if anyone would like to have Franco back?
Cantabene

#38383 - 04/28/03 06:32 AM Re: Madrid: Mugged Near Plaza de Colon in Broad Daylight!
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
My "vote"? No way! eek rolleyes

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments