Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#38351 - 02/24/03 05:05 PM Automobile Safety
YUKONJOE Offline

Loc: Anchorage, AK
My wife and I are relocating to Spain next fall. Can anyone offer advice regarding safety precautions to take when traveling by automobile.
Muchas Gracias
confused

#38352 - 02/27/03 08:52 AM Re: Automobile Safety
MAD for Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
Don't drive too slowly and, obviously, always wear your seatbelt. The driving too slowly thing sounds weird, but seriously, people on the roads here go quickly and if you are too slow you might cause an accident.

But, I've been driving here for 6 months after relocating from NYC (and not having driven for 10 years) without issue. The same road rules apply - just use common sense and you'll be fine.

#38353 - 02/27/03 09:28 AM Re: Automobile Safety
Miguelito Offline

There are a lot of advises in this forum, try to use the search function with words like driving, etc.
About the speed, the maximum in towns is 50km/h, although in some main streets people exceed it.
In highways there's a minimun of 60km/h but I think you should never go under 90km/h, although the maximum is 120km/h lot of people go much faster. In big cities like Madrid people is a little bit agressive. Also people use to forget doing the turn left and right signals.

#38354 - 02/27/03 07:19 PM Re: Automobile Safety
YUKONJOE Offline

Thanks for the driving tips, after seven years in Alaska, I'm sure it will be an adjustment getting back "up to speed". Things are petty laid back here and we tend to poke around. I'm also concerned about avoiding breakins, etc. Aside from not leaving valuables in plain sight, are there other precautions that should be taken? Places to park and not (train stations?. Are trunk breakins likely? roof storage racks, radios and CD players stolen? etc. The car will have an alarum system and I was thinking about also using something like the "club". There is almost none of that up here and I hate the thought of spending my time in Spain being paranoid.
Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.
Thanks confused

#38355 - 03/01/03 02:05 PM Re: Automobile Safety
martine Offline

Loc: Belgium
The first time we went to Spain we also were afraid for being robbed. At the "pay gates" of the "autopistas" we got a "warning leaflet" that told us to never stop on highways when somebody is making signs etc. But as far as I can say, we've never had problems in Spain. We drive a car with a foreign licenceplate and never felt unsafe. Of course you must never leave valuables in sight... nowhere in Europe. cool

#38356 - 03/01/03 04:56 PM Re: Automobile Safety
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
To avoid feeling paranoid, don´t leave ANYTHING in the car at all. NOTHING. No radio, no newspaper, no articles of clothing. Make sure everything is locked up and out of sight in the trunk. Transfer any valuables to the trunk in an area other than where you plan to park the car.

If you are driving a nice car, make sure you lock the doors when driving through the large cities. Women, keep your purses between you and the other occupants of the car, or on the floor by your feet.

Be aware of the "window washers" who will approach your car and start to wash the windows and then later expect to be paid for the favor. I usually just honk my horn and turn on the wipers and that serves as an effective deterrant.

As far as driving, particularly on the large highways, your best bet is to keep to the right hand lane as you definitely will not be accustomed to the speeds that are driven here. Just this morning as I was driving into Madrid I watched as at least 5 cars flew past me at more than 110 mph.

Remember, the 120 kmph that Miguelito mentioned above translates to 75mph. Well above any speed limit that I am aware of in the USA. I´ve been driving here for over a year now and have seen more nasty car accidents than I care to mention (again, this is highway rather than city driving). When driving in the city, be particularly aware of the motorcycles, and pedestrians which seem to come out of nowhere!

And lastly, don´t let this post frighten you. Just use some defensive driving, common sense and you will be fine! Have a great trip!

#38357 - 03/03/03 01:22 PM Re: Automobile Safety
YUKONJOE Offline

Our thanks to all for taking the time to answer our questions. It was very re-assuring. It's been seven years since we moved from San Diego to Anchorage, and I'd forgotten what a wonderful sense of anticipation accompanies a major life change.Best wishes to all.
smile

#38358 - 03/04/03 12:12 PM Re: Automobile Safety
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
Hello Yukon man!
Take caution when you park your car. Fold in the outside mirrors and leave nothing temping visible inside the car. Many cars in Spain (europe) have a club-like device.....but better. Do not use the club there. It offers no protection. Rather use something like the autolock:
http://www.grabthisoffer.com/auto-car-accessories/autolock_pro.html

Keep in mind you can also buy a similar device there but it could be more expensive. I would bring one in my suitcase.

#38359 - 03/14/03 03:41 PM Re: Automobile Safety
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I echo the "fold in your mirrors" comment. Also, please don't take it personal when you come out and have a scratch on your bumper. Everyone in Spain eventually gets at least one, since Spaniards like to "park by braille"

...bump, bump, screech, bump, bump...and we're in!

#38360 - 03/14/03 04:55 PM Re: Automobile Safety
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
CaliBasco is correct about how cars are parked in Spain. Perhaps the "love taps" that nearly every driver gives in Spain while parralel parking is related to the kisses on the cheek that are exchanged in Spain. I love the little "besitos" that are given when meeting a female friend, I guess it's fair for a Seat Panda and a Seat Toledo to feel the same way about bumper "love taps".

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments