Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#38320 - 01/07/03 02:07 PM locking luggage??
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I'm getting ready to head off to Granada on Jan 14th. Iv just heard on the news a couple of days ago that as of January 1st, they are implementing a lot of new security measures. One of these was that they are asking that people don't lock their bags, in case hand inspection is needed eek . Anyone know if this is really necessary??? Iv never flown before without locking my luggage, and really dont want to start now!! I'm going for a semester so not checking bag(s) isnt really an option. Ideas???? Thanks! smile

#38321 - 01/07/03 02:33 PM Re: locking luggage??
Roe Offline

Loc: california
Iīve heard zip-ties are a good idea, if they need to get into your bag they can just cut them off no problem. I just flew from California to Spain and I had one bag searched. They left a little note in my bag saying that it had been searched but I hadnīt locked it or anything.

#38322 - 01/07/03 03:46 PM Re: locking luggage??
big jamon Offline

Loc: boston area
i used to use zip ties all the time...the problem now is how do you cut them off when you arrive? you can't carry a knife or any other cutting instruments anymore...

#38323 - 01/07/03 04:32 PM Re: locking luggage??
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
kelar419, can you just pack any valuables in your carry-on luggage? I generally don't lock things, but will sometimes wrap them with packing tape as a precaution against the zippers coming open with rough handling. Packing tape would be easier to get off at your destination than those plastic ties.

I guess I just figure that, with the zillions of suitcases out there, who's going to want to steal MY socks? It's more likely the whole thing will get lost, probably!

So let's see...the dirty clothes, the pocket knife, and the knitting needles go in the suitcase. The passport and diamond tiara go in my carry-on bag. This is confusing! wink

#38324 - 01/29/03 12:50 PM Re: locking luggage??
Bocata King Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I just got back from an international flight, and I just left my locks unlocked, and instructed the x ray personnel to lock them when they were finished x raying them. It works in L.A. and San Diego because you can sit there and watch your luggage go through the security check.

I thought of the zip tie thing as well, but you are right . . . how to cut them?

B.K.

#38325 - 02/14/03 10:27 AM Re: locking luggage??
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I found s good solution for the zip ties. I just got to Madrid and it worked for me.

I put one of those plastic letter openers in my checked baggage. Not the knife kind, but the small square ones with the long separator thing and the small blade. Itīs mostly plastic, so I it couldnīt hurt anyone. You can get them at our local office supply store. Just thought you guys would like to know.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments