Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#38314 - 01/07/03 04:31 AM Stabbing in Sevilla
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
This is a verbatim quote from an article in the Stars & Stripes (European Edition)
Quote:
NAVAL STATION ROTA, Spain — A Navy chief petty officer remained hospitalized Friday after a drunken homeless man allegedly stabbed him in the back outside a pub in Seville.

Chief Petty Officer Thomas Cooper, 36, was drinking at P. Flaherty’s Irish bar Tuesday when a homeless man stabbed him with a jackknife, local police said in an article published in Friday’s Diario de Cadiz.

Authorities arrested Emilio Perez Fernandez, 58, with the help of the pub’s owner, according to a witness who did not want to be named.

Police said Fernandez was drunk.

There was “no provocation,” the witness told Stars and Stripes. “No reason for the attack.”

Cmdr. Bob Ross, spokesman for the U.S. 6th Fleet in Gaeta, Italy, also said that the crewmember did not provoke the attack.

Cooper was visiting Seville while on a port visit in Rota. He is a crewmember assigned to the USS Newport News, a nuclear-powered submarine that visited the Navy base this week.

Cooper remains in good condition at the Navy hospital in Rota, and the surgeon believes he is “well on his way to making a full recovery,” Lt. Steve Alboona said Friday.

He did not know when Cooper would be released.

Cooper was initially treated at a hospital in Seville before being transferred to the Navy base Thursday, Alboona said.

Seville, about 70 miles north of Rota, is a popular day trip for military personnel stationed in Rota and sailors who stop in Spain on port calls.

Although the city is famous for its stunning cathedral and thriving nightlife, guidebooks warn tourists about petty theft.
rolleyes

#38315 - 01/07/03 11:36 AM Re: Stabbing in Sevilla
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
I'm so shocked and saddened to hear about this stabbing. Flaherty's is right across from the Cathedral. We just left Sevilla after having spent four and a half months there and all I can say is that this is the first such incident I have heard of. However, several of my language school classmates were victims of pursesnatching/muggings. All but one in the wee hours of the morning. This being said, I still believe that Sevilla at night is safer than any US city I know. Everyone needs to be aware of their surroundings and take precautions no matter where you are!

#38316 - 01/07/03 08:33 PM Re: Stabbing in Sevilla
Sarita Offline

Loc: Sevilla
I have to agree with Jana and am as equally saddened as she to read this news. I have spent many late nights in Sevilla and have NEVER felt any more unsafe than I would here in Boston.

People need to exercise common sense and precaution no matter where they are in the world!!

And speaking of crime around the Cathedral, my husband told me a great story about the Sevilla catedral when we went to climb the Giralda recently to get some video footage with our new camera. There are these cast iron chain links that surround the Cathedral and Pepe told me that in ancient times, if a thief or other wrong-doer was being chased by the police, once they were behind those iron chains they were home-free because it was considered sacred ground and protected even the thieves and criminals!

Just a little anecdote for you all. I got a kick out of it! :p

Saludos,
Sarita

#38317 - 01/10/03 01:43 PM Re: Stabbing in Sevilla
mercdrag Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
I´ve been living in Seville for the past three and a half months, and I have never heard of such a crime during my stay here. Even my Sevillano friends tell me that these crimes aren´t common here. Of course, I know at least a dozen people who have had their purses/wallets stolen on the streets in this beautiful city (both day and night). My friends and I frequently visit P. Flaherty´s and I recommend it to any American tourist who asks for a good English-speaking pub. As I write this message, I´m just a few steps away from the place. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to the injured Naval officer. I just hope this incident doesn´t scare others from visiting Seville. It definitely was a freak incident.

#38318 - 01/10/03 08:21 PM Re: Stabbing in Sevilla
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Terrible story. But to put it in perspective, there was a man murdered here in Columbus, Ohio last week. In other words, crimes happen everywhere. The homeless man was drunk and quite possibly a bit crazy. We shouldn't cast a dark, dangerous blanket over Sevilla or anywhere else because of one horrible incident.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#38319 - 01/10/03 08:59 PM Re: Stabbing in Sevilla
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
No, the dark, dangerous blanket DEFINITELY belongs over Columbus, Ohio! Have you heard about that scary guy who calls himself MadridMan? eek

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments