Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#38302 - 12/28/02 02:36 PM Safe Place To Live In Madrid
snapsdc Offline

Loc: Washington DC
I am moving to Madrid in about two weeks and will be looking for apartments. I was wondering if you can recommend any safe neighborhoods/good places to live and work for a young American woman. Thanks! (maybe also tell me which ones to avoid!)

#38303 - 12/29/02 09:04 AM Re: Safe Place To Live In Madrid
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Snapsdc,
First of all....

WELCOME TO MADRID!!! laugh

Most 'barrios'(disticts), in downtown Madrid are (still eek ) very safe places really (specially compared to other cities around the world!), I'd say the only one I would avoid these days is Lavapies (this is just my personal opinion, I acually found my dream house there, in cl Ave María, last September but decided not to go for it since I feel 100% safe where I live now. I'm also a single gal)
Your options will be somewhat limited to the bucks(sorry Euros) you'll be able/willing to spend, of course rolleyes ....but the following are neighborhoods that are appealing to most everyone: Salamanca, Retiro, Centro(Opera, La Latina, Chueca,....), Chamberí, Chamartín, Arturo Soria area, etc.

#38304 - 01/01/03 07:34 AM Re: Safe Place To Live In Madrid
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
When I lived in Madrid I lived in the area around the Conde Duque complex, on the Calle Conde Duque, just off of San Bernardo. I found that area to be terrific. The neighborhoods north of San Bernardo seemed pleasant--plenty of markets and amenities. From there you're within walking distance of the Corte Ingles on Calle Princesa and plenty of good restaurants, cafes, bars, etc.

#38305 - 01/02/03 04:40 PM Re: Safe Place To Live In Madrid
Shazz Offline

Loc: Philadelphia/PA USA
Madrid appears to be safe everywhere. Just don´t go out drunk after midnite unaccompanied by a male. Lots of male bonding here. After new years my fiancee wanted to go out and party more.. i said it didn´t seem like a partying country so i stayed in. When he came back he said it was like a helmet fest if you get what i mean. NO women around. We noticed in different parts of Spain that there were lots of lonely women.

#38306 - 01/02/03 05:17 PM Re: Safe Place To Live In Madrid
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
confused

#38307 - 01/13/03 10:31 PM Re: Safe Place To Live In Madrid
druship Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
re: Lavapies. Our piso was on Calle Doctor Forquet, about 4 blocks from Metro Lavapies and we never once felt unsafe, though some people did, of course, give us warnings. My friend and her 2 year old daughter would often take walks by themselves after midnight, though of course sticking to "main" streets, sometimes a bit difficult in the maze-like Lavapies. No pasa nada.
Someone has warned me about Lavapies each time I've gone (3 and counting...) and I would stay in Lavapies again without a second thought, though, I am a male. But my friend and her daughter had no problems. Maybe there's an unwritten rule/code of conduct/respect for mothers when they're out with their child?

#38308 - 01/15/03 03:46 AM Re: Safe Place To Live In Madrid
ChrisS Offline

Loc: EE.UU.
I dont know if the other people have been to lavapies recently, but I would steer clear. The newest thing is la banda de pegamentos. (the glue sniffing gang) which is comprised of homeless maroqui children. Since the summer violence and robbings have incresed tremendously with the neighbors feeling powerless to stop it. Also i dont really like sol/gran via/callao areas-too much noise and things can happen. Other than that Madrid is a very safe place to live and most neighborhoods are fantastic smile

#38309 - 01/17/03 10:29 AM Re: Safe Place To Live In Madrid
MAD for Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
I'm a single 30somtething woman who lives in Arturo Soria. It is a great neighbourhood and I feel very safe at all hours of day and night walking by myself. True, it isn't central but for me the green areas and the easy access to my office are great.

#38310 - 01/17/03 03:52 PM Re: Safe Place To Live In Madrid
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
I have a studio in Lavapies, and I really like it, but I don't go there at night, since I work in the day. It can be dicey, my model, an ex-security guard (female) got her purse ripped off by a Maroqui guy by sneaking up behind her and grabbing her hair from behind. Unfortunately this was at 5pm and none of those around helped her! I have heard there is a small band of Neo-Nazis who make a Lavapies bar their headquarters, but I have never seen them.

This is not meant to freak you out! Lavapies is also a wonderful, multi-cultural, and old barrio, with abuleas and niños roaming around all hours. It is beautiful, undergoing remodeling, has beautiful old buildings dating to the mid 1800s (my building is circa 1857), while most of downtown is circa 1900. Narrow streets which can be difficult to navigate, especially in a car, NO parking spaces available anytime, but great on foot! For old Madrid charm it is hard to beat. My building also has the famous Café Cantante, La Candella (The Candle) in it! There is even a TV show called "Living in Lavapies!"

Everyplace has its good, and bad sides. Keep aware, don't do anything stupid, dress like the locals, not like someone from SoCal (I came to Madrid from Laguna Beach, so I can say that!) and you, too, will fall in love with this most magical of cities.

They don't call me "Martín de Madrid" for nothing!

¡Suerte!
Martín de Madrid,
President,
1st Class Pinups
"The Classical Alternative in Pinup Art"
http://www.1stclasspinups.com

#38311 - 01/21/03 11:59 AM Re: Safe Place To Live In Madrid
janlo Offline

Loc: quebec
hmm ..martin de madrid.. u wrote a nice view of the bario...
it makes me want to move in madrid...
since i want to move in spain and dont know wich city to choose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments