Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#38295 - 12/11/02 01:00 PM Very Touristy - Be Careful
Shazz Offline

Loc: Philadelphia/PA USA
mad What the hell does this mean? Touristy - Be Careful! ! I've heard this now from so many natives and people...I know they mean well...but..

Did you ever think we are NOT all not alike?
That we might like touristy areas. They are called touristy because everyone goes there. wink

Why you ask? Because its fun and there's lots of things to see. :p And of course thieves are to be expected. Common Sense and wits about you is all you can do.

confused Stop trying to spoil my good time. I'm expecting to spend alot of money while I'm in Madrid, and I don't need all this negativity bringing me down! Thank you. laugh

I live in a touristy neighborhood in Philly. Right off South Street. I love it. cool

I wouldn't trade it for the suburbs or a quiet country place for anything! Touristy places are only touristy at certain times and holidays and most of the people and neighbors who frequent there, are pretty kool and fun. As the "ELO" would say, "Don't bring me down!" :p

#38296 - 12/11/02 03:05 PM Re: Very Touristy - Be Careful
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Having grown up in "touristy" Florida, I sympathize...but I also think I understand the comments about places seeming "touristy." I take them to mean that those places are not representative of the reality of a place (if I were writing an article about how Spanish people really live, I probably wouldn't start in those places)...contain lots of shops with made-in-China "Spanish" souvenirs, etc. You're right, we all go to those "touristy" places because there is something to see there (for example, a beautiful natural sight or some impressive building).

I take the warning to just mean that prices might be higher, souvenirs may not be of high quality, food may be less authentically Spanish, and the crowd may include people who take advantage of crowds of tourists! On the other hand, it's a pretty safe bet you can find a menu in English, a public restroom, and a smile from a shopkeeper when you buy your postcards and have to fumble with that strange European money!

I always visit the touristy places in Spain (I *am* a tourist, after all!)...and love going home to visit my parents in touristy St. Augustine, Florida. But I take the advice of locals (in both places) whenever possible about where to eat, where to shop, etc. That way I can enjoy the tourist attractions without feeling like I am paying too much or being taken advantage of.

#38297 - 12/11/02 11:40 PM Re: Very Touristy - Be Careful
Shazz Offline

Loc: Philadelphia/PA USA
But did you like my comment about ELO ?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments