Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#38245 - 11/26/02 05:29 PM Be Prepared.
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
I like the topic of safety and security.
There are always some new Tips and tricks to learn. I have seen quite a few things and learned a few tricks that I would like to share in hopes that others will also post theirs.

Be prepared. Go throught "what if" senarios before you leave home. Ie: what if I loose this bag, or wallet. What if some drunk bum approaches me in Seville? etc.
Leave your nice chains and jewelry at home. I have a cheap timex watch. If someone threatens me for it, they can have it. Carry SOME cash in your front pocket at all times. If someone is robbing you, you at least have something to hand over. It should include CHANGE that you will drop as you hand it over. This will distract the thief, giving you a window of 1 sec in which you can.....run away?
Be warry of those who ask you what time it is. They may be sizing you up in one of many ways. I am aways aware of the time and when asked I never flinch, without skipping a beat or breaking stride, and not looking at my watch I answer. So what if I'm 15-20min off?? By the way they are only asking you the time beacause they SEE you have a watch on.
I have been followed before in Pamplona (by an "ordinary" looking male). I don't know why. I am male (athletic), married (I was alone at the time). The incident started by him asking me what time it was. I kept an eye on him and after "testing" him noticed that it was not coincidence(going the same direction). I went into a store, he came in, I crossed the street, he crossed. I decided then that I would lead him into a trap where I would knock him out and leave him unconscious, but I came to my senses as I pictured the guardia civil interogating me. I lead him through crowded streets and timed my j- walking so that if he dared follow, he would have been hit by a car. Needless to say I lost him.
Watch who is around you and who is watching you, it has to be second nature.

I used to like wearing a HIP BAG, some call it a fanny bag etc. I don't like them any more and they can be defeated. If you do have one, don't put your papers in there( ie: passport, plane tickets etc.)It is only good for things like a pen, some chicklets, and your entry tickets to the museum. I would rather have a small, managable DAYPACK, (small back pack). In it I have my small "do everything" camera, a small umbrella (for sun or rain)and perhaps some food/clothes. The pack can serve you as a shield in knife attacks. Get used to putting in on and off quickly. My important documents are on me.

Some people like a NECK POUCH. I thinks its suicide. Any one can grab it and choke you with it, (then rob you). The "money belts" I find to be, hot, and very uncomfortable. I've even seen them sticking out of peoples pants.Or they access them in public. What use is it in that case? I have a under arm "holster" money belt. It is never in the way and I make sure that it cannot be seen under my shirts. I never access it in public.

Have Rugged shoes on. How can you defend yourself or your loved ones wearing sandals. Thieves notice this and know that you would never give chase. By the way, leave the COWBOY boots at home, not only for the sandals reason but you may find yourself being made fun of by some 110 kg/ 220 lb local "tuff guy".
Leave your "BALL CAPS" at home. The only place you may pass with one is on the beach.

I like to wear sun glasses. I see better with them in bright situations even overcast but secondly they protect you eyes from dust and air born items and irritants. Some thieves use pepper spray and other irritants, glasses may give you that "golden one second" to ......run away?
Glasses also hide your eyes as you glance around.

I like front pocket on my shirts and T's. The only thing is that the "gitanas" will try to stuff them with flowers. Watch for this distraction, you may get your pocket picked. Also if you reach out and take the flower, be ready to pay for it. Don't put anything in your back pockets. I have heard of "Decoy wallets" but to me that is attracting unwanted attention. I would rather walk past unnoticed.

Watch your bag in restaurants and cafes. Especially where there is a bus terminal or the like. Don't take your bags to the washroom. Have your partner watch them as you go and visa-versa.
Two of you taking the bus?? Have one go in and get 2 seats the other stands outside until your bags are loaded in the bus. I have seen leaches eye bags and the owners, when the owner in on the bus, the leach takes the bag.

I have seen leaches (ie; thiefs) steel purses, pick pocket, break locks etc. There is so much to say, perhaps in future posts. Keep this thread going as we can share and learn from each other.

Agur, y hasta pronto!

#38246 - 11/27/02 10:19 AM Re: Be Prepared.
big jamon Offline

Loc: boston area
great post electracity...a LOT of good pointers...
i always play the "what if" game...always look for "escape" routes...and ALWAYS keep on eye open for scammers...attitude is everything! generally if the scum see that you are aware and alert they will find someone else to mess with...the last thig they want is a direct confrontation...they want you to be a block away before you realize your wallet is gone...
i totally agree about the "neck wallet", in fact i don't wear anything around my neck...why give them a weapon...
one thing about using a day pack...DON'T wear it...i sling it over one shoulder and keep changing sides...a moving target is harder to hit...plus if it is on your back it is out of your sight and vulnerable...
also keep your wits about you...on vacation it is only natural to "let go" and maybe over imbibe...the only time i was assaulted was in amsterdam returning to my hostel in the wee hours after the clubs had closed...luckily i wasn't as trashed as he thought i was...so when he moved along side of me and started with the non-stop chatter i knew exactly what was going on...i sensed his hand going into my jacket pocket so i just took a good step to the side and when he was stretched out i wrapped him up and locked his elbow...the look of panic on his face was priceless...i told him to find another line of work because he sucked as a pickpocket...i thought about snapping it but didn't have the heart...guess he caught me on a good day.
but the best way to prevent problems is BE ALERT! if you are already distracted the pickpocket's job is half done...

#38247 - 11/27/02 09:18 PM Re: Be Prepared.
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
You guys scared the heck out of me! eek Oh Boy! And here I thought I was so safe with my neck pouch! eek frown
Well, no matter, I am getting the brassiere that Churrocaliente recommended from Victoria Secret with the secret compartment to hide valuables! wink

#38248 - 11/27/02 11:24 PM Re: Be Prepared.
Espe3 Offline

Booklady, the neck pouch, when its visible (the straps on some of them aren't very inconspicious) or worn on the outside (and, yes people wear them that way too!) is not a good idea. I think that women have a little bit of an advantage, like with the 'miracle bra' (the Victoria's Secret bra you mentioned- by the way, great bra, and if you don't want the extra padding you just take the 'miracle' out! and its still a great bra! smile ) with some of our accessories.

I was just thinking about my purses... I don't like purses without a zipper.. it just makes it that much easier! But with the new styles being having much shorter straps and carried closer under the arm, it makes it harder also since you have it hugged so close! smile Or even with the messenger bags (and guys use them too!) mine has a zipper AND a flap, not just a flap. I like it because when its crowed or there are lots of people around, I can just have it in front of me, since I usually sling it over me diagionally anyway smile

But we could go around and around this subject- but we've all said it a million times before, its a matter of precaution. That's the best anyone can do.

#38249 - 11/28/02 10:19 AM Re: Be Prepared.
ELECTRACITY Offline

I guess we are not trying to go around and around the topic. What I hope we are doing is highlighting advantages and DISadvantages of items that we travel with.

A good point was made before: If you have a bag or back pack,in a crowded area,it is a good point to "keep moving" (within reason!) even when standing still. This makes it harder for someone to slip a hand in your bag etc. When on the metro, I flip my daybag around to my front. Practice this at home with the bag you will bring to see if any straps (the bags top handle) poke you in the neck when you do this.

The bag mentioned in the previous post, the "courier/delivery" bag? I realize that they are all the rage now, but if I may, I find them difficult to use. The "FLAP" is bigger then Dumbos ears and whenever you need to access the bag, you have to flop open the flap. Doing this in your living room is propably ok, but imagine doing this in a crowded store, in a line up to by bus tickets, in the "Rastro" flea market etc. You get the point.

The neck pouch can be ok for some people if used properly and not worn outside the shirt as someone mentioned. (I've seen this too). I don't like them for the same reason police/security do not wear ties, (smart ones wear clip ons), you are giving your assailant a handle to control you by.
When traveling, my wife does not carry a purse. If she is to wear one she wears it diagonally and always between us when we walk together or the purse faces away from the street when we cannot walk side by side.
Yes there are pouches that are designed to clip/snap onto bras, this could be a good way to go for some, as they can have their plane tickets etc on them at all times.

#38250 - 11/28/02 11:57 AM Re: Be Prepared.
picard8427 Offline

Loc: Toronto
Thanks Electracity for the great tips. I try to follow most of them on a recent trip and still ran into problems. I think that while I agree it can happen anywhere, including at home, it seems to happen with greater frequency in Madrid than many other cities in Europe that I've been to. And if I'm constantly wondering whether my wallet is still in my (or someone else's!!) pocket, and which way I should fling my backpack towards and don't let too many people get close to you, how can I maximally enjoy the culture/scenery/ people ???

#38251 - 11/28/02 12:40 PM Re: Be Prepared.
ELECTRACITY Offline

As I said in the first post, the instinct has to be second nature, auto-pilot. Your "radar" has to be on. Believe me, when I travel I enjoy it to the fullest. The chocolate con churros taste just as sweet.

#38252 - 11/29/02 01:20 AM Re: Be Prepared.
Shazz Offline

Loc: Philadelphia/PA USA
All I have to say after reading all these posts. Is thank god i live in the USA!! Man! Our cops are right on this ****!! Pickpockets have gone out of style where I live. Philly & NYC! 2 Big Cities. I guess its also second nature to keep my stuff in front of me at all times though. Its also second nature to be in shape to kick some leaches' ass! YEAH! It sucks we have to fly into Spain, otherwise I'd bring my uzi and cap all those suckas! eek :p
BTW: what are all the cops doing in Spain that there are sooo many incidents of this nature???!! Corrupt Gov't in Europe or what?! confused

#38253 - 11/29/02 03:56 AM Re: Be Prepared.
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Shazz... I don´t agree with you! frown I recall once almost being pickpocketed in Philadelphia while enjoying a concert during the 4th of July in front of the Art Museum. I got shoved from behind and caught some a*hole with his hand in my purse. I grabbed his arm so fast and shouted PICKPOCKETER! Of course everyone turned around and he, absolutely horrified, slunk away. Although you are right in that perhaps the incidents of "minor crimes" are higher in the touristy areas of other countries, Spain included. But, look at the incidents of violent crimes and I would say that Spain is a much safer bet than some of the big cities in the USA. eek

I think the point to make is that regardless of where you are, when you are on vacation (or just in your hometown enjoying a concert wink , don´t leave your common sense and street smarts at home. Be sure to pack them as well, and take them out and use them while enjoying your vacation.

#38254 - 11/29/02 05:32 AM Re: Be Prepared.
DaisyE Offline

Loc: Madrid
I am rather sure that most of Europe is quite a lot safer than The US. I lived in London for 4 1/2 year with out even once having problems. Denmark where I am from is one of the safest places in the world and Spain where I live now (Madrid)does not have half as many tourists as London but here I have to be on my gard all the time from pickpockets because the police does nothing....
This is unreal in a city of this size and I know it is a bit of a sensitive political subject as well. At the moment my Spanish sucks but that will improve and so will my prostests both written and oral. If I pay tax I also want security........

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments