Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#38255 - 11/29/02 09:41 AM Re: Be Prepared.
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
Shazz, I wouldn't go to that extreme. We know Madrid is comparitively safe, and I would prefer a non violent approach. Hey, were you the "superhero" at the San Fermines with the American Flag as a cape? Just KIDDING!!

#38256 - 11/29/02 11:23 AM Re: Be Prepared.
Espe3 Offline

Shazz, just because it seems the police don't do anything, doesn't mean they don't. Problem is, by the time you find a cop, the thief is long gone and there's really no way to find them. So unless you get lucky and are standing next to a cop when you're in need, what do you expect them to do?! The same you'd in NYC! File a report and that's about it. I don't see what that has to do with having a corrupt government or not. Sure we've got our share of crooks in the gov't, name me one country that DOESN'T, but its NOTHING like latin america or 3rd world countries!

I think that part of the pickpocket problem is also because it seems like it happens more often to tourists, that because of time constraints or language barriers, these crimes aren't reported enough, so its hard to track and figure out some kind of solution, like more cops on the street... I don't know for sure, but I think its a possibility.

Whether it be a pickpocketer or not, where there are tourists... and there will be people looking to make some easy money. Like a friend of mine when we were in High School and went to NYC, they TOLD him not to do the 3 card trick-you know, the one where you have to pick the right card after they've been mixing them up.. well, after seeing somebody win, he thought he could too and lost $120!!!!!!!!! Silly , silly boy!

Be cautious, be aware, a little more so than you would be in your home city... but it could happen just as easily in your hometown. Things just get a little more complicated when a tourist is in a place where they don't speak the language.

#38257 - 11/29/02 01:44 PM Re: Be Prepared.
big jamon Offline

Loc: boston area
bascially what we're talking about here are "street smarts" ...they can't be taught they can only be learned...
those of us who've spent some time on the "dark side" have already learned our lessons...all those late nights out clubbing and walking the streets, hanging out in dingy bars and poolhalls, livin' on the edge and crossing the line occasionally, well they've served a purpose...those experiences help create a 6th sense, that feeling that tells you "something stinks"
you learn to be aware of who and what are going on around you...you know that the guy asking you the time is sizing you up...you know that the kids swarming around you begging are looking for an opening...you know what's hiding in the shadows...and you know how to avoid and evade them...
there is no reason to be paranoid...i never let my sense of awareness interfere with my enjoyment of the journey...if i did that what would be the point of travalling...but you have to be alert, that is rule #1!
don't be afraid of the dirtbags...just remember they're out there...and they're looking for an easy buck (euro) just don't let it be yours.

#38258 - 11/29/02 08:14 PM Re: Be Prepared.
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Shazz, I'm of a mind to agree with you. I've never run up against pickpocketers here in the U.S. I lived in Spain twenty-two years ago and have returned three times. This last time I returned to Spain, last October, was my first (two) encounters with crime.
I agree that the good ol' U.S. has a much better handle on this sort of crime. When I went to the station and reported my encounter with the thieves of Madrid, the police couldn't be more sympathetic, but they explained that because of manpower and bureaucracy, they couldn't do much about the problem. But the lack of police presence, in my mind, is not the root of the problem. The problem is the illegal foreigners in Spain. This is a problem that needs addressing by the government not the police.
Twenty-two years ago, the police were on every Plaza and street corner with machine guns. Let me tell you, things were quiet. Now, because of the cost I can see why this can't be done. But how about undercover cops dressed as tourist doing a sting operation. You and I both could perform this service for Spain. I suppose that catching these miscreants would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Heck, they'd have to open a new jail in Madrid to support this operation.
Several people have told me that the Spanish have thrown their hands up about the situation. I'd really like to know what they have ever done about it? Perhaps our Spanish friends will shed some light?

#38259 - 11/30/02 07:17 PM Re: Be Prepared.
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
The only trouble I've ever had in Madrid was during my first vist to the city in 1986, when my brand new winter jacket was pinched from a bar... I hadn't been keeping my eye on it... but luckily my wallet was in the front pocket of my jeans. I think we have to remember that violent crime attacks on tourists are very rare in Spain and you can be sure that when they do happen they are taken very seriously by the Spanish police. Keep your money on your person and leave everything of value in your hotel room safe. I know it is diffcult if you have, for example, your camera with you on the street - just be aware of who's around you but don't get paranoid about it. I have wandered all over Madrid at all times of the day and night and have never been threatened (touch wood!). Trying to blend in with your surroundings is a good idea and take all the normal precautions but don't let worry or fear of being mugged spoil your time there. Madrid, in my opinion, is no more dangerous than any other large European city.

#38260 - 12/02/02 09:56 AM Re: Be Prepared.
big jamon Offline

the reason there aren't machine-gun toting cops on every corner has NOTHING to do with money...it has to do with the fact that spain is no longer a dictatorship...and i for one would rather keep it that way...i'd much rather be responsible for my own day to day security than entrust it to the gov't...any gov't...
the US may not have the pickpocket problem of spain or italy but believe me there are plenty of other scams being run...plus here in the good old USA direct violent confrontation is a much more common method of separating one from their valuables...
and quit blaming this on immigrants...once the "walls" go up kiss the easy travel between countries goodbye...

#38261 - 12/02/02 03:30 PM Re: Be Prepared.
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
Well...a few guardia civiles (and their machine guns)I wouldn't mind. But your right, a police state we don't want either. I did see a "STING" operation in Paris, right in front of Notre Dame cathedral. Plain clothes police were quietly rounding up a group of gysies and taking them OUT of the plaza in front of the Notre Dame. They gathered up the entire "family".

During the summer months in Madrid and other cities large cities perhaps the police should patrol the tourist sites watching out for occurences. I know a police woman in Madrid and I will ask her what they do for street crime.

The Gypsies in Paris were basically setting up "opportunities" Pick pocket , begging for money, selling roses etc. I had a VERY pretty one (about 17 years old) hold up a sign that said "Do you speak english?" If you say yes (and which red blooded single male would not?)she would flip the card over to reveal a short sob story of how she came from (Bularia?) and she has no family, buy her a what ever ...give her money...etc.
You realize that going along with this could open you up to pick pocketing, a date that would separate you from your wallet etc. Watch out for the pretty girl trap.

#38262 - 12/02/02 06:39 PM Re: Be Prepared.
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Big Jamon, I lived in Spain from 1977 until 1980, a few years after the "Dictatorship." That's when I saw the gun-toting cops on every corner.
But I really wouldn't want to see them there again. I don't expect any government to provide for my personal security, but when the streets are full of pickpockets and scammers, a heavier show of police force should thin these guys out, and make for a less nerve-racking vacation.
I still haven't heard from any of our Spanish friends as far as what measures have ever been taken to rid Madrid of this problem. It seems to me the soft approach to these crimes encourages this behavior?
Life in Madrid was so much nicer, believe me, when you didn't have to have eyes in the back of your head, your hand over your wallet, and a three-foot clearance between everyone else while walking.

#38263 - 12/03/02 09:52 AM Re: Be Prepared.
big jamon Offline

i'll pass on the stronger police presence...next thing you know all the cities i love will be sanitized like times sq in NYC...or las vegas...they've been turned into themeparks for families...mere relics of their former selves.
i'll take my chances out there...but then i guess my view is slanted by the fact that i'm not a usual target for thieves...i'm only 5'7" but i'm built like a firehydrant...not someone they want to mess with...thieves are pretty good at reading body language...and my usually says..."no trespassing!"
and that is the real lesson...thieves and pickpockets feed on weakness...project strength and attitude and 9 times out of 10 they'll feed somewhere else...

#38264 - 12/03/02 01:44 PM Re: Be Prepared.
Katherine Offline

Loc: Mississippi
I was in Madrid last week. I was alone for the entire time, but yet had no problems at all with pickpockets or anything.

One thing that I noticed that was different from previous trips is that there were large groups of policemen hanging out in certain areas at certain times. One day, I saw about five or six police wagons and maybe ten policemen on the Gran Via. I thought that something was happening, but they just stood there smoking. Another day, I saw a large group of policemen near the Prado standing around and smoking. On my last night, there was a group of policemen near the Puerta del Sol also standing and smoking.

I did have a couple of opportunities to be pickpocketed. A woman with a branch of rosemary ran to me with her arm extended and wanted to give it to me. However, I saw her coming, so I didn't let her get close and never stopped moving. Another time, two guys tried to walk up to me. One called me "mi amor" while the other one tried to get behind me. I had seen them coming from a distance and had already decided to avoid them before they tried to talk to me. I just kept walking faster and didn't respond or stop despite their greeting.

I saw some gypsy girls in the Puerta del Sol almost everyday, but I never saw them doing anything but fighting among themselves. On my last day, I did see one of them carrying a "baby" and wondered what she was going to do with it, but she was busy arguing with her fellow gypsy then too.

I guess I was successful in not being pickpocketed because I always kept moving and always kept watching what was going around me and in a distance in front of me. I also held onto my purse tightly in front of me and left most of my money in my hotel safe.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments