Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#38140 - 09/20/02 02:33 PM Re: Safety for Chinese?
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
I would be surprised if you met with any hostility in Spain. That said, Spanish people do tend to stare at people who look physically different to them but I don´t think you need read anything sinister into this. Generally the Spanish are a kind and understanding people who will go out of their way to help you. If you do find yourself in a compromising situation or you feel ill at ease just walk away. Do try to learn as much Spanish as you can, the basic phrases being essential I think. Enjoy yourself!

#38141 - 09/20/02 08:43 PM Re: Safety for Chinese?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
The majority of the times a spaniard looks a black, chinese, korean or japanese is more curiousity than anything else. It is really hard to find this ethnias here (african blacks are now more common) so we are not used to find this people.

I speak in general... obviusly in the big cities we are more than used to it.

As everywhere, you may find racist people, "pasa de ellos" :p that is, disregard them, and try to enjoy the trip.

Fernando

#38142 - 09/22/02 12:38 PM Re: Safety for Chinese?
Espe3 Offline

To those of you with the Moors were only white theory... not exactly. Many spanards today (the majority) got our dark hair and hips from the moors, black and white, from oh so many, many hundreds of years ago. That would be the friendly spanish people mingling with everyone! smile But I think its made a rather nice mix! Although I wouldn't mind having blue eyes....

#38143 - 09/23/02 04:02 PM Re: Safety for Chinese?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Espe --- I don´t know why but I always imagined you with blond hair and blue eyes....

Gosh, I´d hate to know how far off my other mental images of some of the other posters are!! laugh

#38144 - 09/23/02 04:29 PM Re: Safety for Chinese?
phy Offline

Loc: HK
Hello!

I am now in Barcelona. People are 99.99% get used to asian tourists! Going to see if it is the same in the south.

Castiza, sometimes we asians cannot distinguish between ourseleves.

#38145 - 09/25/02 10:25 AM Re: Safety for Chinese?
Kyoko Offline

Loc: Brazil
hello, phy!

hope you're having a great time at Barcelona!!!
i agree with you when you say that even asians can't distinguish among ourselves (me included!). for those who are interested, take the test at web page i know it's not related to the topic (sorry if i posted it in the wrong place), but it's quite funny!

#38146 - 09/28/02 04:47 AM Re: Safety for Chinese?
Ron Clarey Offline

I am in Madrid at present and there is a lot of Asians working and visiting. I do not think you will have any major problem, be careful though with your belongings etc. I hope you like Spain it is a lovely place.

#38147 - 09/29/02 06:33 AM Re: Safety for Chinese?
fourfats Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
Hi everyone,

I am now in madrid and I absolutely love it. I have had no problems yet (knock on wood). It is a little discouraging to see so many US stores in madrid. But after eating spanish food, mostly tapas, I think I´ll order a whopper from burger king just so i could do that line from Pulp Fiction. Although I´m getting nausious for thinking about burger king. Take care everyone.

Fourfats

#38148 - 09/29/02 10:26 PM Re: Safety for Chinese?
Zzeus11 Offline

I doubt that old moors could kick the football like Z.Zidane?
Looks aren't everything!!!!

#38149 - 09/30/02 12:02 PM Re: Safety for Chinese?
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
You are right, looks are not everything, but being historically accurate is. And I for one am tired of individuals who distort history to serve their own ends. There are so many people in denial on this issue. Lets set the record straight and move on. By the way I believe the girls of sevilla turned out nicely. They are in i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2636 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments