Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#38066 - 02/05/05 09:28 PM Madrid: Touring and on a walker
BigMac Offline

Loc: St. Augustine, Fl USA
We are older/retired and will be spending a week in Madrid in March. I am a large man and will be on a walker due to a major illness.
How much of a problem is that and how much does it make me a mark for pickpockets, etc?
Any advice is welcome.
My wife is fluent in Spanish which should help.

#38067 - 02/07/05 03:11 PM Re: Madrid: Touring and on a walker
Supertubbie Offline

Loc: Madrid
Well just watch your stuff good. Madrid is like any other big city. They just robbed my back last week in a bar and I realy have watched it. All the Spanish people told me that they steal al lot in Madrid but I'm from Amsterdam and there it's the same. I don't think it's a problem at all you are on a walker. Watch your stuff, don't use open backs and don't leave it behind ore out of sight. But don't be afraid either, just enjoy the city.

#38068 - 02/07/05 07:03 PM Re: Madrid: Touring and on a walker
Dave B. Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Ohio USA
Hey BigMac:

My last trip to Madrid was in 2003 and I had no problems at all with thieves. I was in Barcelona in 2004 and again no problems. I think that you will be fine. People get all stirred up about this pickpocket thing. Any big US city is far worse than Madrid for street crime. At least they don't shoot people in Madrid for Starter jackets !

Have a great time,

Dave B.

#38069 - 02/07/05 07:11 PM Re: Madrid: Touring and on a walker
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
I think you'll be fine--but you would have a hard time in the metro with all the stairs. Cabs are probably your best bet.

Since you'll have your hands occupied... try to wear a longer coat or jacket that hangs down over your pants pockets. It makes it much harder for someone to reach in. Either that or let your wife be in charge of all of the money...

Also, you'll notice lots of people on crutches, with canes, walkers, neck braces.... No one here lets a little setback keep them from going out for a daily walk and enjoying life.

Enjoy your trip!

#38070 - 02/07/05 07:54 PM Re: Madrid: Touring and on a walker
BigMac Offline

Thanks for all the great comments. The thing about the metro is particularly good and hadn't occurred to me.

We spent 6 days in New York City two years ago with no problems at all (and I was on the walker then), but you do worry.

How about busses? Would there be a place to put the walker if I got on a bus?

#38071 - 02/08/05 05:29 AM Re: Madrid: Touring and on a walker
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Madrid buses (at least) have spaces for those with physical disabilities, there are one or two extra large seats which are reserved for these people and the rule is that an "able" person must vacate the reserved seats when someone with disabilities gets on the bus. I've ALWAYS seen this rule observed. The entrances/exits are extra wide too but sometimes, depending on the bus, there may be two or three steps down at the rear exit of the bus if it's one of those buses which raised in altitude as you go towards the back. And, of course, one enters the bus from the front and exits from the back. However, someone with a disability is occupying the front seats, those designed for these people, I would imagine the driver would allow them to exit from the front entrance of the bus.

Any Spaniards have any experience with this?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#38072 - 02/08/05 05:36 AM Re: Madrid: Touring and on a walker
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
As long as it weren't rush hour, the bus would be a good option. There's usually at least one open area on the bus where people can stand and have poles to grab on to. But one bit of advice--ask the driver to wait until you are stable. Sometimes they close the door and take off the minute you step on the bus.

#38073 - 02/08/05 08:42 AM Re: Madrid: Touring and on a walker
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Also, most busses in Madrid can lower their floor to ease the access. Tell your wife to warn the driver, and if the bus is not very crowded everything should be ok. I'm sure passengers will help if needed.

Fernando

#38074 - 02/08/05 10:12 AM Re: Madrid: Touring and on a walker
BigMac Offline

You guys are great! Thank you so much. That is the kind of info that just isn't in the tour books!

One more question. I know Madrid is a night and/or siesta town. What would be considered "rush hours" that I would have to be careful about?

#38075 - 02/08/05 04:58 PM Re: Madrid: Touring and on a walker
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
From 8 to 9,30 and from 17 to 20,30 more or less, which is when people go or come back from work and kids come back from school. You should take a taxi or the subway at these hours.

Oh, about 40% of subway stations have elevators (check Metro de Madrid to see which ones.

Fernando

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments