Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#38047 - 06/12/02 04:13 PM getting more & more worried about safety
prez Offline

Loc: L A
I'm always careful, keep valuables out of sight, etc., but I'm becoming worried it's not enough. Another site listed many instances of pretty violent attacks. I feel like I can protect against pickpockets, but not a group of attackers. Is this threat as serious as it sounds? Also, our camera (on strap) is not an inconspicuous one; should we not carry it? I'd hate to not use it but afraid to be targeted. Thanks.

#38048 - 06/12/02 04:22 PM Re: getting more & more worried about safety
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Uh, this is someone from Los Angeles worried about Spain? rolleyes

#38049 - 06/12/02 06:28 PM Re: getting more & more worried about safety
Espe3 Offline

Out of curiousity, which website listed all of these violent attacks? I've never had any trouble, and neither have my friends. However careful you are is probably more than fine. Spain is not such a dangerous place! :o Relax and enjoy!

#38050 - 06/13/02 03:25 AM Re: getting more & more worried about safety
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
¡Jolín! Paranoia reigns high on the internet these days! I´m with Espe...what website is announcing violent attacks?

Spain is a very very safe country....PARTICULARLY when you compare it to the likes of LA, Chicago, Washington DC and NYC.

Yes, there is violent crime here, as in most countries. But such crime comes in very very isolated cases.

Just answer these few questions and you will know how to act here:

1. Would you walk down the streets of LA (pick any large city) with your camera swinging two and fro from your neck and your video cam bumping against your thigh?

2. Would you walk down the streets of LA (pick any large city) with your wallet open counting the money that you have or reviewing the receipts of the money you spent?

3. Would you stand on the street corner of any large city with a huge map of the city looking utterly lost?

When you go on vacation, leave your fears at home, but by all means, bring your common sense! wink

#38051 - 06/13/02 10:25 AM Re: getting more & more worried about safety
prez Offline

Ouch! You guys read me the riot act! The thread I was reading was a link from Frommer or Fodor's, I forget which. It made things seem pretty bad. I've done lots of traveling, too, and know (i think) how not to look like the doofus traveler. I was just becoming concerned that while you can be careful against potential pickpockets, I wasn't sure how to handle a couple of people in a more physical assault. By the way, not "L.A." but LA as in Louisiana

#38052 - 06/13/02 11:01 AM Re: getting more & more worried about safety
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
prez, based on instinct and many many trips to Spain - the earlier posters are correct. Especially if you are accustomed to traveling and know to use good old common sense - Spain is one of the safest countries you can visit. Violent crime is extremely rare - and you know the basics on avoiding pick-pockets. Go, enjoy - and let us know all about your vacation.

#38053 - 06/13/02 11:16 AM Re: getting more & more worried about safety
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Prez: I think they read you the riot act since they thought "LA" that you'd be used to riots...like the one that's about to blow when our Lakers come back to celebrate the sweep!

To speak to your paradigm, think about Mardi Gras...you have fun, but you're careful (unless you're an idiot and plastered, which you don't seem to be). I think the points made about just using your common sense are valid.

And by the way, we've ALL stood on a street corner looking at a map. Don't anyone deny it!

Prez, welcome to the board!

#38054 - 06/13/02 11:40 AM Re: getting more & more worried about safety
berkeley Offline

Loc: Berkeley CA USA
Let me just chime in & agree that it's really not a scary country. We just got back from 2 weeks in Madrid & Andalucia, our 1st trip to Spain, & never had any trouble whatsoever, not even when standing on the street looking at a map (which I agree is unavoidable). Just stay aware & you'll be fine! We had a blast!

#38055 - 06/13/02 01:52 PM Re: getting more & more worried about safety
Espe3 Offline

Prez, I never took into account where you were from. It didn't matter where, it was the anything the impression (and an incorrect one) that you were given by the other websites.

However, if you do get taken on, no matter it be one person, 2, 3 or more, and if you are in Spain, USA, Canada, China, Zimbabwe... my advice would be DON'T take them on! It could be more trouble than its worth, and money is not worth your life! It sounds like you are a fighter, and it doesn't matter if you have a black belt or an expert boxer, that's no match for a knife or a gun. Remember, best defense, Don't be there! If you ever get into a situation like that one, don't try to be a hero, do what you have to do to get the opportunity to RUN! And then get your butt as quickly as you can to a nice crowded place where you can get help or call the police. Please, doing anything else, no matter where you are, isn't going to get you anything, except maybe hurt or worse. And remember, CHOOSING to go to a foreign country, you are subject to their rules and laws, even if you're defending yourself, you don't know what that will mean if it turns serious. Yes, the American Embassy is there for help, but not to bail you out! Just because you're an American doesn't mean that the laws of the US apply to you when abroad.

Again, don't sweat it, have a good trip!

#38056 - 06/13/02 05:05 PM Re: getting more & more worried about safety
prez Offline

ok everyone, I'm reassured...thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how my trip goes. I'm really looking forward to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments