Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#38041 - 06/11/02 10:06 AM madrid scam
mark s Offline

Loc: yORKSHIRE, ENGLAND
Great stay at Hostal Martin last week but ....... my wife and I were victims of a clever scam on arrival at the hostal.We had just gone inside the main entrance off the street, when a young man appeared in the doorway with a map asking for directions. We explained we couldn't help because we were strangers. Suddenly 2 other men entered both well dressed posing as policeman. They showed identification.They pushed the young man against the wall and quickly searched him.They told us that he was very dangerous and we should not change money with him. We tried to explain the situation. They then checked our passports and asked to see our currency.One examined our currency while the other continued to warn us about the young man.He handed us back the currency. They apologised for inconveniencing us and we shook hands. The young man was led away. Only when we checked our crrency did we realise 240 euros was missing! mad
The hostal staff and police were very helpful and sympathetic. Despite this we had a great time in Madrid. Be on your guard for this scam.

#38042 - 06/11/02 12:34 PM Re: madrid scam
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
That's terrible Mark! Unfortunately, it's a rather well known scam.....never take your money out to 'show' anyone. The kid could have just done a grab and run too....

#38043 - 06/14/02 07:17 PM Re: madrid scam
jysuper Offline

Loc: Fairport,NY
frown I'm very sorry that that happened to you. I hope that you didn't let that unfortuate incident ruin your trip to Spain.

#38044 - 07/25/02 03:42 AM Re: madrid scam
tonyt Offline

Loc: Australia
I wasn't aware of that scam! Madrid was generally scam-free during our 5 days there in late May. The only exception were two young gipsy women trying to approach me with maps asking for directions. Of course I never let them near me.

#38045 - 07/25/02 09:02 AM Re: madrid scam
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
It may be some consolation to hear that those behind this particular scam were probably among the 18 arrested about 10 days ago in Madrid. The real police finally tracked down the gang which sent out bogus policemen to rob unsuspecting tourists.

#38046 - 08/10/02 12:33 AM Re: madrid scam
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Same thing happened to my parents in Rome last March and in Milano they poked their rental car tire so that they could offer them "help" a block later ... amazing how they managed to "time" it just right!

Churrito

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments