Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#38038 - 06/07/02 11:52 PM Jewelry
Catalina Ciriza Offline

Loc: California
posted 08 june 2002 05:40
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it true that I must leave all my jewlery at home in California when I go to Spain on Sunday? I cannot believe that Spanish women do not wear "good" jewelry, but many people think I cannot take my diamond wedding rings or any other "good" jewelry, or I will have muggers tracking me to my hotel. I will be alone in Madrid for 5 days before I meet my family in Bilbao. Can I hear from Pim and others who live in Spain?
Thanks.
Catalina

#38039 - 06/08/02 09:49 AM Re: Jewelry
Espe3 Offline

You can wear your wedding rings with no problem!And Spanish women DO wear and have nice jewlery. Its just simplified! A nice necklace, earrings, a bracelet... just don't go out of your way to show off every nice piece you have! Which is what foreigners often do, besides more often than not, thieves are pretty good at picking out who the foreigners are and it makes them easy prey! Do like you would any other place, stay away from going down streets with nobody on them! One of my aunts lives on a street like this in the center of the city and got mugged in front of her door while she was trying to get her keys! frown She was fine, but obviously not a good experience! You'll find that especially older women always go around very well accessoirzed (spelling?!) My great aunt never leaves home without her pearls on! Have a good trip!

#38040 - 06/08/02 11:55 AM Re: Jewelry
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Catalina,
I agree...take the jewelry you usually wear (this assumes you're not decked out in diamonds and emeralds every day wink ).

I generally wear the following, both here at home and in Spain: wedding ring with diamond on one hand, aquamarine on other hand, plain gold necklace with gold pendant, and diamond stud earrings. I *might* leave the wedding diamond home when traveling, more because I would be devastated to lose it than because I think it makes me a target for thieves (it was my great-grandma's diamond).

Oh, and I wear a regular watch with a metallic gold/silver band.

There's always the chance you *could* have your jewelry stolen (this could happen anywhere, and is probably a bit more likely when you're traveling just because you're not as familiar with your surroundings), so you might want to think about leaving very special things at home. But don't feel like the jewelry is going to attract attention...it's the whopping big camera, the backpack, and the map that you've got to worry about!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1939 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments