Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#38003 - 05/19/02 05:58 PM what kind of purse/daypack to carry?
berkeley Offline

Loc: Berkeley CA USA
From reading all these posts it sounds like there is something wrong, security-wise, with almost any kind of purse or backpack one could possibly carry around during the day!

I'm just not the kind of person who can walk around with only some money & keys in my pocket. rolleyes

So here's the question: in what kind of bag *should* I carry around everything I need during the day -- sunglasses, kleenex, notebook, pens, sweater when I'm not wearing it, water bottle, small camera & film, so on & so forth?

I have a hard time believing I really can't just carry whatever purse I would carry in New York. confused Please advise... we leave for Spain in a week! I'm very excited & thrilled, but just so confused about this basic problem.

Thanks!!!

#38004 - 05/19/02 10:05 PM Re: what kind of purse/daypack to carry?
alabina Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Hi Berkley,
Well me being a female too, I know what you mean. All the things we need to carry during the day. I just came back 3 days ago from Madrid and I witnessed an attempted backpack theft on the subway line on the way to the airport, and also in Toronto heard another woman talking about her attempted theft. My word of advise is NOT the TYPE of bag you take, but HOW you carry it, and how alert you are. Basically, NOT on your back going into a crowded subway. Nor a fannypack on your waist over your shift so someone can snip it off from the back. For myself I carried a large size purse with a zipper on top. I always made sure it was on my shoulder under my arm in crowded areas, with the zipper closest to me. Make sure you carry it towards your front in crowded areas. I think pickpockets are rampant in Madrid, but not more so than Rome where my friend got pickpocketed..or I should actually say backpacketed!! Silly girl had all her cash and creditcards strapped onto her back to she was asking for it. Never leave your bag on the back of a chair, or on the floor in a cafe, watch the washroom hangers, don't put it on the floor of a washroom if someone can reach under, and lastly, if you fall asleep on a long journey make sure the strap is on you. Just take basic precautions and you'll survive! cool

#38005 - 05/19/02 10:17 PM Re: what kind of purse/daypack to carry?
josie Offline

Loc: Silver Spring, MD, USA
Berkeley, I'm sure others will have an opinion on this, here's mine. I went to Spain for 3 weeks last year, and I wore a money belt around my waist *all* the time for my passport, ATM and credit cards, and money. I also carried a backpack (could have been a daypack, I just happened to already own a backpack) In the backpack I carried a sweater for when it was chilly, as well as my windbreaker (most of the time we left the hostal in the morning and didn't return until evening, so we had to plan for an entire day's weather). I also carried any maps I might need, kleenex, sunglasses, camera, film, etc. I had my adult daughter with me, and we watched each other's backpack. One time, as we crossed Puerta del Sol, my daughter noticed that my backpack had been opened, but thankfully nothing had been taken. Any thief making a quick grab into my backpack would have found only my sweater, the map, or some kleenex. Pretty slim pickings.

I will take my backpack again, along with my money belt. It was light and easy to carry. The main thing is to be alert to what is going on around you--don't be distracted by all the wonderful sights of Madrid!

Always be aware, don't let your guard down, and you'll have a great time! smile

josie
also leaving in a week! laugh

#38006 - 05/19/02 10:56 PM Re: what kind of purse/daypack to carry?
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Berkeley,

My Madrid experience ended, frown unfortunately, 11 days ago..I found that a medium sized messenger bag(roughly 10"x10"x2.5") or a small purse(small enough to tuck underneath my armpit) was safe enough to carry. Mind you, I normally do not carry a purse stateside...I'm mostly a keys and money in my pocket gal!

It does pay to always be aware of your bag at all times...I found some security in pinning the buckle of my canvas messenger back with a safety pin. I also pinned(from the inside) the side further from me, so I know it would take some finnegalling, definitely some work, to get anything from it.I kept the essential items like a small amount of cash in a place I could easily get to without fumbling in my bag...

rolleyes Reading through the posts here has certainly helped...I never felt threatened at all! I hope this helps a little...

Have fun on your trip and be safe!
Wyndyl laugh

#38007 - 05/20/02 12:14 AM Re: what kind of purse/daypack to carry?
Espe3 Offline

I agree with the other posters. Its not SO much what kind of bag or purse you take, as it is you watching and knowing what's going on around you. However, I WOULD stay clear of those purses that only have a snap and really leave everything exposed. Go for a zipper, and if it has an additional flap that goes over it and snaps or buckles, then better. Just stay away from people coming up to you, the 'widows' at the retiro, fortune tellers or gypsys, or people selling the 'Farola' ( a kind of newspaper). Not all the time, but many times, its these people who are VERY crafty at getting close to you, distracting you while someone else picks your pockets or even doing it themselves. There are many simple and silly tricks so best thing is to stay away. If someone is begging for money or trying to sell you something, and starts to follow you (sometimes they will for a few steps, hoping that you'll give in and shell out) then keep walking but look them straight in the eye and say No! Most people avoid eye contact and actually gives them some hope instead of discouraging them. If you are in a crowded place subway, or other place, (like getting on or off the subway in Sol for example) keep a hand on your bag and continue to go wherever it is you're going. also, keep the zipper closure to your front, not to the back! It makes it very difficult for them to unzip it if its in front of you. (trust me, my family all lives there and I've been there many many times, and I've only had one of my aunts really have any troubles. She's been robbed 3 times and usually could have been avoided. The poor woman seems to have a sign posted on her! frown

But if you're from NY, (I'm assuming NYC) then you should know your stuff! Don't worry too much! Have a great time! smile

Oh, and would you mind having a bocadillo of calamares for me! wink

#38008 - 05/28/02 12:47 PM Re: what kind of purse/daypack to carry?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its true when traveling you have to carry something!!
Once settled in, I carry my day bag with me. (Small back pack). In it I have, as others have mentioned, the daily necessities. No money, no credit cards or passports!! Nothing that you cannot afford to lose! These items are concealed on my person, I think that this is safer then in a hotel room.
I hate money belts!!! They are hot and irritating. I have designed my own "Money belt" that I carry under my arm in a sort of holster that goes across my back with the pouch under my arm. In it I have my passport, plane ticket and credit cards, travelers cheques etc.

In your (front) pocket you should have "some" money and perhaps a travelers cheque, for refreshments and small purchases you may need throughout the day. This cash is also important if you are threatened with a weapon, you can produce cash instantly and perhaps even drop it as it takes the attention away from you giving you a chance to escape.

For walks around the cities, lets face it you do not always need your (good) camera!! Have in your daybag a DISPOSABLE one!! You can bring your good one some other time when you are with a group of friends (safety in numbers).
Comport yourself properly and guard / carry your (day)bag as the locals do.

#38009 - 05/28/02 02:46 PM Re: what kind of purse/daypack to carry?
SRedw Offline

#38010 - 05/28/02 03:18 PM Re: what kind of purse/daypack to carry?
Espe3 Offline

Shawn, you're not dispelling any myths. I didn't make the assumption that she knew, but that she SHOULD know, and I also noted the NYC thing, as Upstate NY and NYC are 2 TOTALLY different worlds.

But most New Yorkers do walk around being more aware of themselves and that's what I was referring to.

My apologies if you didn't understand what I meant or I didn't make myself clear.

#38011 - 05/28/02 08:14 PM Re: what kind of purse/daypack to carry?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
One thing I've found, even here in the good ol' US of A, is that for a combination of fashion chic and common sense, nothing says "cool" and "hip" like a fanny pack.

When out and about in SoCal, I strap on the fanny pack and everyone seems to like it, if long stares and smiles are any indication.

I've noticed that when I sport the fanny pack in Spain, nobody seems to notice. It's almost like I have a shirt on that says "I'm Spanish! Go rob a tourist!" (of course my shirt's fabric would be some sort of discreet floral print).

Sometimes to really blend in, I wear my Nikon SuperZOOM XXL 35mm camera with the "Holy Land Neckstrap" around my neck. Nothing screams "move on to an easier, more foreign target quite like the old XXL!

I give my own highest personal endorsement of the fanny pack and SuperZOOM XXL...nothing says "I'm a local" like that outfit! laugh

#38012 - 05/29/02 11:21 AM Re: what kind of purse/daypack to carry?
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Calibasco - you forgot the baggy silvertab jeans and the bright white Nikes....and of course your baseball cap in all possible situations including sit down restaurants! Do not take the baseball cap off for anything!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments