Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37942 - 03/13/02 03:19 PM Please, help with security issue ASAP
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi guys,
It's been a long time since I posted here, but I have an urgent question and I think this is the best place to get an accurate answer.
First thing I'm flying tomorrow to Spain, they told me security at the airport (Philadelphia) is a pain in the neck and they will make me open all my bags and unpack everything… is this true?

Second thing (and scary) my visa has expired. I applied for the "removal" of my status to a permanent resident 2 month before my visa expired (as I was told). I have received a letter saying that my green card has been extended one more year and I can work and travel. BUT the expiration date on my green card says August 2001. I am so scared… I don't know if when I return they will not allow me to enter the country again or they will put me in those horrible rooms until they call INS and check that I really can stay here. Specially now that they are more cautious with foreigners I don't know if I am going to have a bad experience at the airport. Please, can someone who went through something similar advice me?

Thanks,
Nuria

Oops, I'm so silly I forgot to say that I have a Spanish passport (from spain)

#37943 - 03/13/02 07:54 PM Re: Please, help with security issue ASAP
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
NURIA NURIA NURIA!!! OH, HOW WE'VE MISSED YOU!!! Welcome back. Really!! I'm SO GLAD to see you here again, even if it's only to ask this one question.

I only wanted to greet you and invite you to the "Party With MadridMan: Version 4.0" at El Brillante in Madrid on April 4th, 9pm. I hope you'll still be in Madrid and can attend.

Now, on with your question/concern... DARE I ask how it happened that now, the night before you leave, that this has become an issue? No. I guess I don't. It really doesn't matter. What matters is finding an answer, a solution, a resolution to your problem.

Can I assume you have not called, via telephone, INS yet? Well, I don't know what time you fly out tomorrow, but it's a good bet that it will be in the afternoon, right? If that's the case, at 8 or 9am, get on the phone and get an answer from them directly. Yours seems like a special, unusual case.

As for the airport, they may well check your bags, but it's more likely that they will only check the bags of every 10th passenger, passing through security. It might be every 15th or 20th. I don't know.

I hope, but doubt we have anyone here who has been through something similar to your situation. And unfortunately, more doubtfull that they'll see your posting before you need to leave. But I do wish you the best, Nuria. I really do. Hope you get this straightened out before you leave, that you have a wonderful time in Spain, and that you are able to attend the "Party With MadridMan" on April 4th.

Take care, my friend. We really do miss you here. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37944 - 03/14/02 06:57 AM Re: Please, help with security issue ASAP
Nuria Offline

Hi Madridman,
Thank you for your warm welcome!
Yes I have called INS, but the people that I talked with didn't know the answer (what a surprise) and told me to call my Regional Center... I don't know how many times I tried and either the lines are busy or they have me on hold forever... I never talked to them.
The letter CLEARLY says that my alien card has been extended a year, which makes it valid until August 2002. When I got my new job and my driving license I showed my expired card and my letter and they accepted it without hesitation, now the airport is different... I am SO scared ... I cannot stop thinking they will put me in a room for hours until they find my status in the country or worse, they don't allow my entrance in the country...
I'll let you know if when I get back (if they let me in)
Besos,
Nuria

#37945 - 03/14/02 07:05 AM Re: Please, help with security issue ASAP
nevado Offline

Hey Nuria, nice to see you back. I'm not sure if you'll get this in time but if it makes you feel any better, a friend of mine (he's British) had an expired visa on his passport (he had been waiting for his greencard for over a year)and he had to go to England to see a family member. He was technically not allowed to leave but the INS granted him a trip and he went with only a letter and an expired INS visa. He didn't have any problems; the letter was fine. My guess is it doesn't matter what your greencard says once they punch the numbers into the computer. I wouldn't worry about it, there's nothing you can do at this point and I would hate for you to worry about this during your entire trip. Have a good time and guard your letter with your life, make a million copies y todo saldra bien.

#37946 - 03/20/02 09:24 AM Re: Please, help with security issue ASAP
Nuria Offline

Hi guys,
I'm back in the country!!!! No problem in Immigration, actually I was surprised how nice and lovely people was! eek
Nevado and Madridman, thanks a lot for your posts. My trip was good (just stressful because I couldn't get rid of the feeling I wasn't going to be allowed back in the US), I'll give an update a little bit later (when my boss is not around laugh ) I just wanted to say thanks for your help.
If anyone is in the same situation than me in the future just go ahead with your expired card and a letter that says your visa is being extended, you won't have a problem.
Thanks guys laugh
Nuria

#37947 - 03/20/02 09:29 AM Re: Please, help with security issue ASAP
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Nuria, ¡Bienvenida!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2428 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments