Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37885 - 01/26/02 02:50 PM Travel with Infant
JIE Offline

I comes from Taiwan and will have the first visit to Spain on this coming March with my wife, our 6 month son and my brother in law. We plan to stay in Madrid for 5 days and 4 days in Barcelorna. I read this board and other internet resource talking about the safety issue in these two cities. I was told that tourist from Asian are the major target for the criminals. Becasue they all think Asian tourist coming from Japan. My major concern is that we will have infant with us. I really don't want anything happen to us, especially to our small son. Is is ok we have our son sit on the stroller while walking on the street? What do we need to pay attention? Any suggestion? Thanks.

#37886 - 01/26/02 04:56 PM Re: Travel with Infant
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
This is really a difficult question to ask.

However I will risk myself to give you some general tips on what to expect or to be aware of.

Japanese tourists are an easy target for various reasons: they can be easily identified (there are not many asians in Spain), they are very confident, and they never mind to carry on bags, cameras, video-cameras and maps.

Pickpocketers usually attack japanese tourists (for them you will appear a japanese no matter you are from Taiwan) in tourist areas.

In any case be aware that the pickpocketers aren't generally agressive, and that violent crimes are very unfrequent. If you are aware of your surroundings while in tourist areas and don't carry visible bags, cameras, etc you should not have any problem.

Infants are never target of any attacks.

"is ok we have our son sit on the stroller while walking on the street?"

I would say yes, it is something commonly done by us spaniards wink

Regards and enjoy your visit.

Fernando

#37887 - 02/02/02 06:12 AM Re: Travel with Infant
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
I would say that having an infant with you will be OK as the Spanish absolutely love children and your child will certainly be fussed over! If you are walkin through the streets with your child you may not be taken for tourists as you are obviously a family - Japanese tourist travel in groups. I hope you enjoy Madrid.

#37888 - 02/02/02 11:21 AM Re: Travel with Infant
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
I'm going to sound redundant based on the two previous posts - but traveling with a baby in Spain is a joy. The Spanish absolutely love children - you are likely to make new friends just because you are traveling with a small child.
Have a wonderful trip and let us know how it goes!

#37889 - 02/02/02 05:21 PM Re: Travel with Infant
JIE Offline

Thank you so much for all your suggestion. These will make us feel more comfortable, especially for my wife.

#37890 - 02/03/02 03:14 PM Re: Travel with Infant
Akordish Offline

Loc: Pozuelo de Alarcon, Spain
I can only add, that the streets and sidewalks of Madrid are difficult to navigate with a stroller (even light weight). I suggest a back or front carrier, as much easier. Be aware that though they love the kiddos - the restuarants are not accomodating - with non smoking areas or seats (with the exception of the american/british chains). Enjoy and I wouldn't worry about baby safety. But do watch the wallets. Anne. smile

#37891 - 02/03/02 05:31 PM Re: Travel with Infant
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
My sister traveled with her infant daughter in France and England last summer, and she found some great things online to help. She ordered some stick-on placemats (these are sheets of plastic with tacky edges; you can use them directly on a table--even a not-clean bar or cafe table--so that baby can pick up bits of food and self-feed) from one website ( http://www.inventiveparent.com/tabletopper.htm ), and also got a portable, collapsible booster seat with strap so that she could convert regular chairs into baby-safe seats at restaurants. It might be worth a look around for things like that--easily portable and hugely helpful!

[ 02-03-2002: Message edited by: taravb ]

#37892 - 02/04/02 11:16 AM Re: Travel with Infant
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
There was a discussion many months ago about baby carriages/prams and, as I recall, the ones sold in Madrid are very portable - light-weight and secure. I tried doing a search but came up with nada - maybe I was looking in the wrong place - or is the search function still not completely there? Regardless, if there is anyone who remembers more details on the pram I'm referring to - please speak up! As I recall, it got RAVE reviews!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments