Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37878 - 01/10/02 01:35 AM Travel with Pops.
CalLandscaper Offline

Loc: Auburn, CA
I am 41, traveled Turkey, Germany and Norway, Mexico and had lunch with a Mafia man the last trip to Mexico. What a rush. My fear is my Dad. He is a night owl and likes to visit like me, with everyone. Should I let him have his way at 77 years old and just let him wander the streets at night. We are heading to Spain on 28 of Feb. 2002 and I do not want to stay out past 1 a.m unless??????

Shawn

#37879 - 01/10/02 05:40 AM Re: Travel with Pops.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi CalLandscaper! Welcome to the group. Depending on where you'll be staying in Spain and in what cities, I think your "pops" will PROBABLY be fine at 1am in most parts of Spain. Probably safer in the smaller towns than the big cities, but even there. It's really hard to say. Why not just go out with him? confused I doubt he'll want to be out so late after touring all day long. Besides, chances are good that your dinner won't finish until midnight (or later) anyway. But it's true, fewer "elders" are on the street of Spain so late.

Have fun! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37880 - 01/10/02 07:34 AM Re: Travel with Pops.
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Cal, MadridMan,

I'm sorry I can't agree. At age 77, nobody should be walking around on an unknown street at 1 AM alone. It's an invitation for trouble, and eventually it will catch up with a person.

At 77, what would be minor for a younger person, could be life-threatening, and that's not acceptable.

Knowing the Auburn area well (my second oldest son was born at Auburn Faith Hospital), I know it's a nice little town, and friendly enough, but you never know who isn't from the area, and might be passing through, looking for an easy mark.

Having been a member of the Placer County Sheriff's Department myself, thirty years ago, when things were simpler, I know that even there, the vast majority of crimes that happened at night were perpetrated by outsiders who ventured into town, with bad intent.

My advice? Walk with Dad at 1 AM in Spain, and make sure you know in advance where you intend walking, so you won't end up in trouble. Not all areas of cities are as safe as others.

Wolf (Who doesn't believe in testing providence. frown )

#37881 - 01/10/02 05:24 PM Re: Travel with Pops.
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi, Cal--
I would agree...walk with your dad, since if he's anything like my grandfather was on his only trip to Europe in his early 70s (he went to Ireland with my parents--hadn't even owned a passport before that and hadn't been anywhere outside the US since WWII), he will have a great time hanging out in restaurants or bars and chatting with people--so just tag along! Try to find places near your hotel, so that if you're out really late, you don't have far to go. I am sure you will both have a wonderful time!

Tara

#37882 - 01/10/02 06:41 PM Re: Travel with Pops.
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Hi Cal,

I have also traveled extensively in the Mexican interior. What a great culture, and country (!!), but happy to report "most all" the safety issues possible in Mexico would be very rare in Spain - even a big city like Madrid.

Someone in an earlier post made a good point that crime levels in Spain are on par with the United States, but they have much much less violent acts than we do. I'd say make sure he uses a money-belt and probably stay around him, at least very late night/early morning...

If my time in Madrid and north and south of the country is any indication, your father will be pleased to realize the "older" generation in Spain has a great ability to burn the midnight oil; stay up late with the younger generations. This is probably not the rule or norm, but when needed it seemed they all could stay up very very late.

Ex: We went out to clubs and bars in the central area of the city and saw on numerous times a few older (70's) at these hot-spots. You don't see that often here in the States.

Have a great time!

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: JJP ]

#37883 - 01/10/02 11:16 PM Re: Travel with Pops.
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi again--
I just wanted to share a recollection that came to mind as I read JJP's post...in the lovely summer of 1990, when I was living in Salamanca, dating a young Spanish guy, and staying out FAR too late nearly every night, I once spent a quiet evening in the Parque de la Alamedilla, not far from central Salamanca. It was about 11:30 p.m., and my friend and I had done some early (!) barhopping and stopped to chat on a park bench. We were talking away when I looked around and noticed what was going on around us...there were families, lots of them, playing with their little children! These were little toddlers in strollers, wide-eyed and happy...and preschoolers running around playing. I remember being struck by it, and then later that same evening (one thing led to another, and the "chat" went on for a while--don't tell my husband I am sharing this info!! smile wink ) there was a marked shift in the park population. At about 2 or so, the families had all gone home and the weirdos came out...druggies looking for a fix or some money, other couples, etc. But Pops will probably love that he can indulge his night-owl tendencies safely until quite late!!

Also, this past March in Avila, my husband and I were in a restaurant for an early (10:15 or so!!) dinner. At about the time our entrees were arriving, a family trundled in...grandma and grandpa, a 30something couple, and their baby and 4-year-old. They were still there when we left at around 11:15.

This isn't to negate the safety advice of earlier posts on this thread or others, but it's good to keep in mind that "late" in Spain is quite different from "late" here in the US.

Tara smile

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: taravb ]

#37884 - 01/14/02 09:05 AM Re: Travel with Pops.
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Shawn writes:
Quote:

... He is a night owl and likes to visit like me, with everyone. Should I let him have his way at 77 years old and just let him wander the streets at night ... I do not want to stay out past 1 a.m unless??????

Unless you are at a flamenco nightclub, for example (where the show doesn't start until after midnight)? If you're 41 years of age and you don't stay out past 1:00 AM, you'll miss some of the charm that is Spain. rolleyes

A friend from Oklahoma who accompanied his son to the Barcelona Olympics told me on his return that he had seen ladies strolling and pushing baby carriages at 2-o'clock in the morning on las Ramblas. His conclusion was that those people don't abide by the clock like we do. And this guy was not what you would call a 'night owl.' eek

For the most part, the Spanish respect elders more than here in the U.S. Try to set limits; but cut him some slack! Take him to a flamenco show. Let him enjoy his visit to Spain.

If he can't communicate in Spanish, that may be a problem ...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments