Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#37867 - 03/28/02 11:13 AM Re: Madrid and Spain safety
dargus Offline

Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada
I am arriving on Madrid on May 3 for a two week solo vacation. A concern I have (and I believe raised last year when I was also planning to visit) is that I am a photographer and need to have my camera available at all times. Today I will be getting a new lens, which is fairly large in size, and intend to use it as my main tool for this trip. Any advice on how to travel, camera in hand, especially alone without fear of getting robbed? I have done this before in Paris, New Orleans, San Francisco without any problems. Perhaps somebody can convince me that I will be fine?
Thanks!
Dargus

#37868 - 03/28/02 11:38 AM Re: Madrid and Spain safety
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Inside buildings there are no problems.

Have the camera at sight at every time. Be aware of what is surrounding you (search specificly for people who is directly watching at you). Try not to be alone in streets.

Special caution in Madrid's central and tourist areas, mostly in Sol. Try not to catch people atention and not to look as a tourist. Do not accept anyone's too friendly help (they are probably trying to distract you). Do not let anyone touch you no matter the friendly they look. Have your camera well attached to you by the cords.

In less touristical places there is absolutely no problem. You may only find problems in open places as Puerta del Sol.

Anyway, these are only advices of common sense, this don't mean that you will have problems, it is just "in case of". The most probable is that you don't have any problems. By the way, I have been in most touristical places of my country without having any single problem.

It is just that in Madrid there is a specific southamerican mafia which usually targets japanese tourists (who are very inocent and carry always expensive camera devices) and that operates in the town center.

Regards, good luck, and don't be afraid wink Enjoy!

Fernando

#37869 - 03/28/02 11:45 AM Re: Madrid and Spain safety
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Dargus,
Do the same you did in New Orleans, San Franciso and Paris. If you were safe there I don't see why you won't be safe in Madrid.
Nuria

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2639 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments