Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#37847 - 01/04/02 08:17 PM Madrid and Spain safety
lowell Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
On a positive note, we just spent 10 days mostly in Madrid and Seville and never saw or had anything happen that made us feel threatened or unsafe in any way . We felt as safe there as in any other cities we've visited in europe or US. (We however, were not out past midnight, don't know if that makes a difference). People everywhere--restaurants, bus stations, hotels, taxi drivers were helpful and courteous. For instance the bus station in Seville (at Prado de San Sebastion) was a beautiful building in a nice area of town--a surprise and such a contrast to the bus station areas in most big US cities which are usually in the sleaziest areas.
We just never had any bad experiences in any way. That's not to say one shouldn't be careful. We kept our money and valuables well inside our clothes and didn't take any chances. Our friends cautioned us to be careful and mentioned someone who lost their "back pocket" wallet and everything in it almost as soon as they arrived. Also they cautioned us re. people on the street that try to give you something--a flower, etc. and then ask for money. Then someone else is watching where you keep your money and they manage to steal it later. I did see a couple of those people once in Seville, but avoided them.

#37848 - 01/05/02 03:56 AM Re: Madrid and Spain safety
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
This is a very worthy thread!

We can all get "caught-up" and worried about personal safety - many people, I think, let this consume them and it ruins the trip and experiences.

No matter where you travel one needs to be vigilant. Even in the U.S., there are MANY places one knows to avoid.

I bring all this up because of my experiences last summer in the Basque Country. ETA terror is no secret, and the day we arrived in Malaga the car with explosives was found just prior to count-down. Very lucky...

The second leg of our vacation was in the north. I shamefully admit my initial hesitation to visit the wonderful areas of the north - due to ETA terrorism. Yes, the Basque Country has a strong "security-feel", but I neve once felt unsafe.

This just needed to be written for anyone thinking twice about visiting Spain because of potential terrorism. Rubbish, I say! Spain is probably statistically safer than the USA.

Go to Spain - be careful of your personal belonging - and enjoy such a wonderful culture! Don't let the media scare anyone into thinking twice about this nation. Not only is it safe, but the people are generally warm and friendly.

Enjoy!

#37849 - 01/05/02 08:10 AM Re: Madrid and Spain safety
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
The are many stories about Spain lack of safety but statistically is one of the safest cities in the world. My experience by now confirms the data, hundreds of nights out and no big problem, just pray the emigrants coming to Spain don't change this. My advice is to avoid areas with a bad reputation , trying to look as native as possible, and be careful especially with people that doesn't look Spanish.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#37850 - 01/21/02 11:35 AM Re: Madrid and Spain safety
dargus Offline

Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Does anybody know if tourist visits to Spain have risen in the past few years? I would suspect a decline since Sept. 11, but if Spain is supposedly a country with a bad reputation for petty crime and indifferent law enforcement (I am only basing this on this message board and other travel websites) wouldn't a decrease in tourist numbers open the eyes of government officials to put their foot down on this perceived problem? What about installing cameras in problem areas as they do in London?

I have never been to Spain and in the past two years have been trying to get there (I am planning this May again) but I also admit that these stories make me very cautious and tentative about coming over. I am a photographer who travels solo and I, unfortunately, almost expect that I will be a target for petty crime. It's not a great attitude to have but it's a very real threat and makes me question if it is worth spending my hard earned money on such an adventure. But the people who post here also make my mouth water at the thought of visiting this country!

Just my input on an issue that is a concern to me.

Dargus from Edmonton Canada (where it's only minus 20C today!)

#37851 - 01/21/02 05:50 PM Re: Madrid and Spain safety
iwalanic Offline

Loc: Washington DC
I just returned from spending 8 days in Madrid. We stayed at Hostal Corbero (great hostal, BTW)on Cervantes near the Prado in what I believe was the Huertas area (someone correct me if I am wrong). I have to say that I felt completely safe the whole time I was there going everywhere on foot even in the late night and wee hours of the morning. Still I was alert to my surroundings and carried my purse inside my coat so it was not visible, but those are precautions I would take anywhere. Maybe I am being naive, but that was my experience. A friend of mine who was there as well had no problems going out and about alone, even walking back to her hostal alone at night at times. Then again, she is a streetwise New Yorker, but I think like anywhere, that is what you have to be, streetwise.

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#37852 - 01/21/02 07:45 PM Re: Madrid and Spain safety
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
By the way, tourism in Spain rises a 5-10% every year for the last decades!

We receive 50 million tourists every year, and we are almost going to pick the USA (which is the second most visited country). Spain is the third most visited country whereas France is the most one.

And for now inmigrants are not rising crime rates significantly (we still have a low number of inmigrants compared to other countries).

Iwalanic, glad to see you here again! Hope your trip was ok.

Fernando

[NOTE: For those of you curious about the statistics, check out the Instituto de Estudios Turísticos . Have a look at this PDF document ]

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#37853 - 01/22/02 11:08 PM Re: Madrid and Spain safety
iwalanic Offline

Loc: Washington DC
Thanks Fernando! It was great to meet you at MM's party! laugh

#37854 - 01/23/02 09:59 AM Re: Madrid and Spain safety
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
After all the horror stories I'd heard about las Ramblas in Barcelona, I decided not to ever carry a purse. I would just tuck a few euros in my pocket when i went out. But I never saw any street crime at all, and there were security guards in all the hotels, cafeterias, movie theaters, etc.

Madrid, the Puerta del Sol is still a problem, and I seriously advise you not to carry cameras around your neck (they scream, steal me!), and women, any purse you carry should be worn so that it cannot be grabbed in a TIRON (quick yank).

I still think Spain is one of the safest places to go in the world!

#37855 - 01/23/02 05:15 PM Re: Madrid and Spain safety
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
As has been said many times on the board, most travelers to Spain encounter no problems at all, and the best advice is to simply be alert and use the same common sense you would use in any large metro area.

Sure, there are a few bad apples, but the vast majority of the time Spain feels incredibly safe. This actually seems to me to be one of the reasons Sol is sometimes described as "dangerous"--maybe it's only in comparison to the rest of Spain, in which problems are very infrequent. That's not to downplay the incidents that do happen there, but many can be prevented by carrying your valuables in hidden places (under jackets during the winter!) and by paying attention to your surroundings--and by NOT LOOKING LOST!

#37856 - 02/08/02 10:11 PM Re: Madrid and Spain safety
lowell Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
With regard to Sol in Madrid we had an interesting experience the Sat nite before New Yrs--we came out of the Metro around 7 pm and it was solid people as far as we could see--even every side street as far as we could see was jammed, sidewalks everything. could hardly move for people. I'm not sure if this was typical Sat. nite or the start of New Yrs celebration. It was a little scary at first--I've never seen so many people in one place, but as we looked around it was all sorts of people out to enjoy themselves--couples with young children, old people, all ages--eating, buying pastries, snacks, buying things in the stalls in Pl. Mayor. It was quite jammed up to the Pl. Mayor. It must have been a pickpockets paradise, but we never saw anything the least bit sinster or threatening. Just a lot of happy people.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2303 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments