Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#37731 - 11/13/01 12:22 PM Re: Madrid,safer?: Pl. Santa Ana or Pta. del Sol?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hey THANKS, BARRY!!! So there you go, folks! Direct from the horse's mouth (no offense, Barry! hehehehe..).

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37732 - 11/13/01 01:26 PM Re: Madrid,safer?: Pl. Santa Ana or Pta. del Sol?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
That's great news Barry. I was there end of June and loved that plaza. Very convenient for Hostale Persal which was decent lodging about midway between Pl. Santa Ana and Pta.del Sol.

#37733 - 11/13/01 03:44 PM Re: Madrid,safer?: Pl. Santa Ana or Pta. del Sol?
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Hi everyone!
Today I had the day off, so I've run some errands and decided to go for a looong walk since the weather was GREAT after 3 or 4 days of really bad one. MMan, I had to pass by El Brillante on my way to the bank, and I thought of you(of course I was tempted to have a "bocata" de calamares!).
I can report several things: all the X-mas decorations are already in place!!(although either December 1st. or Dec.15th. will be lighting-up time); I've been running around both Puerta del Sol and Sta. Ana all day with my purse wide open("despistada" me) and nothing has happened! :p, and I look "guiri" too. And finally, yes, for those interested in the state of one of the most popular areas for "tapeo", La Pz. de Sta. Ana is not in its best moment, it's even fenced all the
way(the inner part), still, the rest of the "barrio" is OK; calle Huertas, Echegaray, Moratín, Lope de vega(where I live) wink
An alternative place for tapas & copas(drinks) is the area of Las Cavas(Cava Alta & Cava Baja), La Latina is the subway station, there you find less tourists and more locals.

saluditos.

#37734 - 11/18/01 12:06 PM Re: Madrid,safer?: Pl. Santa Ana or Pta. del Sol?
Chica369 Offline

Loc: York, PA
Thanks for the detailed info, Pim, as I'll be in the area 12/21 for 5 days. Do you know if the bars and restaurants in your barrio and the streets you named are open on 12/25? Gracias y saluditos

#37735 - 11/19/01 03:37 PM Re: Madrid,safer?: Pl. Santa Ana or Pta. del Sol?
Kansas Traveler Offline

Loc: Mission, Kansas
Just returned on 11-16-2001 from 15 days in Madrid, San Lorenzo de El Escorial and Segovia. Have traveled to Spain 6-8 times in the past, but last time prior to this trip was 1985. Have traveled extensively in Europe and Asia and NEVER been pick-pocketed, but was picked in Madrid TWICE in one day on 11-2-2001 near Atocha train station. Once was three women using the city map-ask-for directions routine (described in Frommer's) at about 12:00 noon and once was three men at about 7:30 PM - one pretends to spill coins at your feet while the other two go behind you. Didn't lose anything because we were both wearing concealed packs under several layers of clothing, but I felt them going through my pockets. Hotel desk people indicated that pickpocketing of tourists is an everyday event. Spain is still a great place and I still love it, but check the US Embassy web site and Frommer's and be careful. Best of luck.

#37736 - 11/20/01 01:35 PM Re: Madrid,safer?: Pl. Santa Ana or Pta. del Sol?
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
Pim , I have also enjoyed the area around La Latina as it has much more of a local feel to it.Would it be fair to recommend it to people who are a bit nervous about Santa Ana/Sol as it is less likely to have the sort of people who target tourists there?

#37737 - 11/21/01 05:42 PM Re: Madrid,safer?: Pl. Santa Ana or Pta. del Sol?
Shannon McDonough Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
Hello, all. ¿Que tal? I stayed at Hostal Lopez on Huertas (me encanta!) the last two times I was in Madrid (feb of 2000 y feb of 2001). I passed through Pza Sta Ana every day & almost every night without feeling any more 'at risk' than in Sol. And by 'night' I mean anywhere from 2 am - 6 am, and I was there by myself. I was vigilant about my surroundings, as always.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments