Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#37702 - 10/17/01 08:12 PM Travel to spain after the Attacks
Paula R M Offline

Loc: New York
I am travelling to Spain in 2 weeks with a group. This trip has been planned for a year. do you think we should still go? Is it safe? confused [B][/B]

#37703 - 10/17/01 08:26 PM Re: Travel to spain after the Attacks
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Paula, Yes you should go, don't let the threat of attacks by any terrorist group deter you. I am sure you will be quite safe.
Sue.

#37704 - 10/17/01 10:23 PM Re: Travel to spain after the Attacks
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Paul R M! Welcome to the group! I agree with SuePycroft. GO! Besides, EVEN BEFORE the attacks, I've always considered Spain to be safer than the U.S.A. even if they (Spain) do have their own variety of terrorism with ETA. Have a GREAT time in Spain!!!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37705 - 10/17/01 10:46 PM Re: Travel to spain after the Attacks
rere Offline

Loc: palm springs, ca, usa
I know it is a little scary Paula, but I decided to go. I have to admit, I still haven't told MAMA RERE, who is going to *@!^ bricks when I tell her I'm going overseas despite the attacks. Viva la Libertad a viajar.

#37706 - 10/19/01 09:46 AM Re: Travel to spain after the Attacks
mel-knee Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Yes! Yes! It´s great. We flew to Madrid out of Newark on October 15th. We had absolutely no problems. Security has been beefed up, so it took us a little longer to get through than normal, but I felt perfectly safe the whole time.

Now I´m in Madrid, and it´s quite a relief not to hear "Osama Bin Laden," "terrorism," or "anthrax" every 30 seconds. Very relaxing.

So come on over and have a great time!

#37707 - 10/19/01 10:48 AM Re: Travel to spain after the Attacks
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Go! and bravo to you for doing so! I've had my next trip planned for over a year now and I'm not going to be deterred. Go for it, and enjoy Spain!!!!

#37708 - 10/19/01 09:57 PM Re: Travel to spain after the Attacks
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
I flew from LA to Madrid on Sept 27 and just returned Sunday, Oct. 14 (and already want to go back). Security was tighter, especially in the U.S., but I felt safe flying.

#37709 - 10/21/01 03:56 PM Re: Travel to spain after the Attacks
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
I agree with CathyM. I flew to Madrid from New York on September 29 and returned yesterday. I felt very secure although I'm less than enthusiastic about Iberia as an airline. The reading lights did not work in both directions and no crew member I spoke to had the faintest idea what to do about it and also couldn't care less. Also yesterday they left Madrid five hours late.

#37710 - 10/23/01 01:05 PM Re: Travel to spain after the Attacks
Monica Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hello All,

I am also scheduled for a group tour of Spain beginning Oct. 29th. I fly out of the states this Saturday, the 27th. I must admit I am unsure about traveling now but I booked this before the Sept. 11th incident and I don't see the situation changing anytime soon. Maybe getting outside of the US will give me a different frame of mind or an alternative perspective of events, it'll be interesting to see. Either way, I just want to be able to enjoy myself and the country of my ancestors. smile

#37711 - 10/23/01 02:17 PM Re: Travel to spain after the Attacks
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You'll find the following article on the USAToday.com website... It's reprinted without permission, but it's greatly relative to Europe's support of the UN's/USA's retaliation against terrorism.

10/22/2001 - Updated 11:08 PM ET
Europeans stay united with America
By Elliot Blair Smith, USA TODAY

MADRID, Spain — In the Café Gijon each day, Spanish painter Antonio Granados, 83, watches the world pass by. His eyes are bright even behind thick glasses. A mane of white hair sweeps elegantly over his shoulders.

But beneath his calm exterior, Granados is deeply worried about the threat of further terrorist attacks in Europe and the USA.

He's seen Osama bin Laden's face before in men with names like Franco, Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin. "We owe the United States our liberty and our democracy. If not for the Americans, the Nazis would have ruled us," says Granados, who spent World War II exiled in Morocco. He fled Spain after being imprisoned and tortured by Franco's fascist forces. "Now Europe is united behind the United States."

Six weeks after the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington, polls show that old sages like Granados are more in touch with the public mood in Western Europe than the 5,000 pacifists who marched last Friday in Ghent, Belgium, at a summit of 15 European Union chiefs of state. The popularity of British Prime Minister Tony Blair, the United States' closest war ally, approaches Winston Churchill's during World War II, says Market and Opinion Research International in London.

MORI pollster Roger Mortimore says, "There's no doubt the (European) public were profoundly shocked by what happened Sept. 11. The natural reaction to that is, 'We're all on the same side.' " And, though conventional wisdom holds that heavy casualties would undermine allied support, European polls continue to show strong backing for a sustained U.S. campaign despite the risks.

Seventy percent of Britons surveyed support military action. Nearly half of the British are willing to accept heavy casualties to maintain the war effort. Nearly two-thirds of the French back the armed conflict. Russia's government supports U.S. retaliation even though a significant number of Russians believe the conflict presents security concerns for their own country, polls show. Support remains solid in Germany. On Oct. 12, a group of German Green Party members of Parliament tried to push through a resolution calling for an end to the bombing campaign, but they were routed.

Disagreements exist. Last week, some European leaders voiced reservations about a broader offensive beyond Afghanistan. Belgian Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt said, "We will never take part in a wider world conflict." The leaders also criticized Blair, French President Jacques Chirac and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder for excluding them from a private war council just before the EU summit.

But other signs demonstrate that America's fight against terrorism is forging closer ties within Europe. EU heads of state, joined by Russia, ended Friday's summit with a statement declaring "total solidarity with the United States."

The war on terrorism has brought Russia closer into the allied orbit. And the conflict provided new impetus to NATO, which is changing from a Cold War fighting machine into a nimbler force ready to fight less visible enemies.

"Sept. 11 has re-established a common trans-Atlantic sense of purpose," says Wolfgang Ischinger, German ambassador to the United States. "Europeans and Americans share not only the same values — above all, the dignity and freedom of every human being — but also the same challenges."

Spain's foreign minister, Josep Pique, says, "I see the European response as very solid."

That's certainly the view from Spain's capital. Here at the Café Gijon, Spanish poets, painters and writers have assembled since the 1940s to talk about life. Age has decimated their ranks. Today, young couples and tourists outnumber the elderly artists, but some of the senior sages still sit each afternoon at the tables reserved for them. The men's memories reach the recesses of time when they draw parallels to this fight against terrorism.

Poet Rafael Morales, 82, says the terrorism risk is comparable to earlier threats posed by fascism and communism. "It's an enormous possibility that bin Laden will infect the Muslim nations for a confrontation against the West."

Spain, at Western Europe's southern boundary, has been the flash point for clashes of civilizations since Islamic Moors invaded the country in the eighth century.

Morales calls the United States' war on terrorism "a noble fight."

Painter Granados recalls how allied and Muslim interests alike were served during World War II when British Gen. Bernard Montgomery's tanks rumbled through Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria. "The only good terrorist," Granados says, "is a dead terrorist."

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37712 - 10/23/01 03:30 PM Re: Travel to spain after the Attacks
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
MM - thanks for reprinting, albeit unauthorized, this article. With luck, a certain few people on this board will read it and, perhaps, modify their views and comments. Yes, I completly agree that everyone is entitled to express their opinions - but perhaps the printed word from an official source will help to educate where board member comments alone have failed.
Puna (who is not trying to be nasty!)

#37713 - 10/23/01 04:15 PM Re: Travel to spain after the Attacks
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
MadridMan,

Thanks for posting that article. It's exactly what I've been trying to say right along.

The gathering at Café Gijon is not senile old men and women who have nothing to offer to the world. It's a gathering of people whose very lives have been touched by the evil that they've seen. They are not radicals, but sage warriors of time, who lived the past, and can tell everyone just how horrible, and tragic, things can be, if we don't learn from our history.

These passionate people understand, they care, and they don't want to see the youth of today stumble and fall, allowing history to repeat itself.

Like Puna, I hope people will listen, and learn. That they will read the history of mankind, and see why we must face adversity head on, not run from it. If we run... it won't go away. It will just swallow us up, until there are too few of us left to fight.

Wolf

#37714 - 10/23/01 10:57 PM Re: Travel to spain after the Attacks
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
MadridMan,
Thanks for sharing the article with us. It is good to know that we are not alone in this fight, and particularly how the ordinary citizens feel about what has happened, and not just their leaders, which have also been supportive.

Wolf,
Permit me to say that your words are very profound and touched my heart.

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Booklady ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2420 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments