Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#37691 - 10/06/01 10:47 AM Re: Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
rere Offline

Loc: palm springs, ca, usa
I think all MM readers should adopt Booklady's security technique. Not only will it promote safety, but we can recognize each other with a kind of perverse secret code. cool cool cool cool

#37692 - 10/06/01 01:14 PM Re: Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Sol is not only safe - it's the heart of Madrid and one of the best places to stay.
Safe means using common sense as others have indicated. Over the course of many many visits - Sol is, for me, the ideal place to stay in Madrid. Now, that is said with the addendum that I do not travel during peak season - too many other visitors.

As a sideline, Lavapies was mentioned as one of the more questionable areas re safety and I'd like to share a guick story. Last March I met up with a fellow MM board member while in Madrid and we were wandering (neither of us look very American but not necessarily Spanish)- in Lavapies a policeman actually checked with us to make sure we knew the area had a somewhat bad reputation and, if that concerned us, he would direct us into a better part of town.

Gist of story - Spain, in this case Madrid, is concerned about visitor safety. So - stay in Sol - wander a most beautiful city - explore - experience ... but do so with a bit of common sense as you would anywhere. smile

#37693 - 10/06/01 05:18 PM Re: Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
Tia Offline

As safe as Stockholm, I would say. cool
Don´t cancel, Beckham, what a nasty thought. eek Use the common sense and enjoy your trip in deep draughts. Tia smile

#37694 - 10/07/01 07:44 AM Re: Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
I pass this along for whatever it is worth. About two hours ago I was in one of the Mcdonalds near Puerta del Sol. A young American tourist who didn´t seem to know much Spanish was having trouble placing his order with the counter employee who was apparently new in her job. I tried to help him, and then we each went to different tables. About 10 minutes later he came over to me asking if I had seen his backpack. He had left it unattended momentarily while going back to the counter to get some napkins, and some unknown person grabbed it in this very short period of time.
Incidentally, I am in Madrid attending Spanish language classes at Tandem Escuela and am staying with a lady in her apartment as arranged by the school. I love the feeling of security I get in a private home as well as the opportunity to practice my Spanish.

#37695 - 10/07/01 10:51 AM Re: Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
rere Offline

Loc: palm springs, ca, usa
It's a Macmistake to leave your items unattended anywhere, especially in big cities. frown

#37696 - 10/11/01 08:31 PM Re: Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
betharita Offline

Loc: Sebring, Fl
There's not much more to add except that on my first trip to Madrid in May it was a little hard to "not look like a tourist". Most people over there spotted us anyway like a neon sign. I just used a fanny pack with just the amount of money I would need at that time, one credit card, my cheap camera and my passport (copy left in safe at hotel). If anyone swiped it, it contained only what I could afford to lose. The hotel we stayed in in Barcelona gave us a large "business card" so that if we lost our passport, the police could contact the hotel. You can replace your passport with the copy. I felt very safe in Madrid, more so than in Barcelona, but both cities were no more a problem than Chicago where I grew up. If you are unfamiliar with a large city, just use common sense: stick to the main streets, don't talk to strangers and don't look scared! Act like you know where you're going and if you are lost, go to a hotel or restaurant for directions. We were warned about people coming up to you to ask directions to distract you and then someone else would pick your pocket. My husband and I were standing at the tour bus stop (hard place not to look like a tourist eek !) and a spanish woman came up to me to ask directions. I immediately moved away and said NO and waved my hand at her to leave me alone. My husband called me rude until I asked why was a spanish woman asking a tourist for directions? confused I then made him thank me for saving his wallet HA HA. We walked all around the Sol and the Plaza Mayor and back to the Gran Via day and night and I never felt threatened. There is also an amazing amount of people out at all hours so you are never alone! Don't worry and have a great time cool

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: betharita ]

#37697 - 10/11/01 10:41 PM Re: Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Ahhh! that is a think I forgot to tell about.

In Madrid there is always people on the streets, no matter which hour, no matter which day, specially on the weekends.

You may find the Gran Vía FULL (that is, you can't walk throught) at 4 o'clock in the morning. If you go to disco zones you may have problems to park, to drive, and to walk. We like to live the night rolleyes

(MMmmm, why am I asleep at quarter to five in the morning? Let's say I've been in a friend's house talking with some girls wink )

Fernando

#37698 - 10/12/01 01:16 AM Re: Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
dsanchez2 Offline

Loc: Australia
I've just returned from Spain and found Puerta del Sol (and all of Spain) very save.

I would not worry about looking at a map in public. I found that a large number of people in these areas are walking around with a map (even the locals that may not be familiar with that part of the city). However, it is a good idea to move out the way when looking at the map. I hated it when someone (or worse a group of people) stopped in the middle of the foot-path looking a the map and blocking the path to everyone else.

There many reasons why a Spanish person would ask for directions: They could be from another part of Spain, or may not know that area of Madrid. There is not need to rude, just tell them that you do not speak Spanish or that you are not from Madrid.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2583 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments